The world you are attempting to join is full.

Map is full

Are we tired of this yet? Surely PvE could borrow the queue system from WvW. If you are unlucky to be placed into a map that your squad is not in for a meta, it's a real challenge to get to them. Your only option is to spam the join function from squad chat and that gets old fast, why can't we just queue instead? Highlight squad member, right-click, pick join, left-click, world is full, click ok or hit Esc, repeat ad nauseam. The worst part of this though is because you are constantly clicking and closing a window that blocks your screen you cannot do anything else. You essentially become dead weight for the map you are stuck on because you have to constantly focus on the join option. It screws not just your current squad but whatever squad is running on that map. At least if we queued we could help the other map while we wait. C'mon Anet, it's time to upgrade this.

Edited by Turial.1293
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Yeah, would be nice if squads auto remove themselves from LFG if the map is full. Then if you want to put it in LFG again, it doesn't let you until there's a spot left. In addition to what you said, this would at least stop people joining squads in full maps.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

This has been requested for years - since the megaserver was instigated. I cannot find one reason not to implement it beyond this one: they probably hope you will give up and try to contribute/organise the map shard you're currently in. Most people do not do this and become the dead weight you're talking about. 

• Like 2

It'd be nice if we could move freely between instances not needing to taxi to another one. But that'd mess with the auto sorting and surely have 1 or a few full maps and the remaining people all alone in the others and all empty. But hey, in the end it's kinda what happens with LFG anyway but less obvious so...

The queue system would be best but since in wvw there is just 1 map it makes sense it was added there first. And if the system was broken in EoD I'd be worried that adding that could break a lot more than it could fix.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dace.8019 said:

This has been requested for years - since the megaserver was instigated. I cannot find one reason not to implement it beyond this one: they probably hope you will give up and try to contribute/organise the map shard you're currently in. Most people do not do this and become the dead weight you're talking about. 

Since jumping map requires full attention of the player, they literally can't help the map they are on is the point I am making. Assume you are with friends/guild, you will want to be on the same map no matter what.

Edited by Turial.1293
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Maybe people should just have a thing they can queue for individually or as a group or squad when a meta gets near and it will place them in a priority system like: try to put the same squad in the same (new) map, fill it as much as it can and then do overflow, that kind of thing. Though I could see an argument that such discourages the dynamic feel of being present on the same map instance throughout all the phases of it, the troll map closing infrastructure mixed with taxiing is already ensuring that will almost never happen to you. Sometimes a map will begin its closedown despite there being a group on it working on pre events, so a queue would at least clean up the mess of a state that it's in right now.

Another way Anet might consider approaching this is toning down the hyperactive map closing setup and instead designate maps as different types: meta, gathering, exploring, things like that. Then allow people to switch what type of map instance they want to be in, which will try to place them in an active map designated as the one they chose. Doing it this way, the non-meta maps could be given a much lower player threshold for closing, if they do at all.

Some details in there I'm not getting into because it's too much to cover in one post, but something in that direction might be a help.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Turial.1293 said:

Since jumping map requires full attention of the player, they literally can't help the map they are on is the point I am making. Assume you are with friends/guild, you will want to be on the same map no matter what.

No no, that's very much my point too. 

I was, for a moment, considering why ANet haven't put in an instance queue/join automation and the only thing I could come up with is that they have some misplaced hope that the player will just try x number of times, give up joining manually, and maybe try to make the instance they're currently in a success. It happens sometimes, but not very much.

Edited by dace.8019
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I just tried to join a Dragon's end instance for about an hour this morning.

There were a bunch of squads with "new map, meta start" in their descriptions, but none of them had actually full squads in the same map. 

You could "join instance" on any person in squad, and there were about 7-10 people in each map from the same squad. That squad, and each one in LFG was split across at least 5 maps.

So, Anet expects us to totally organize for Dragon's end, making an open world raid boss that you have to prepare for 2 hours, but you can't even get your squad on the same map, or join a map that isn't full. 

Even if the squad isn't on the full map, why am i not getting in the same instance as the commander when it's not full? I have to click on the commander to get into their instance after loading into the map.

What a joke.

What they should have done before EoD release, is give us some tools to be able to organize, or made DE an instance like Dragonstorm. This map/grouping system is not compatible with 3 hour long raidbosss metas.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I don't think this is a good idea. The point of opening other instances of the map is to get them going, not to make them "waiting rooms" for another one, so people can conveniently ditch it at any point. Seems completely counter-productive.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

Agreed, Turial.  Some modernization in this space is so much needed. I really love this game, but the bad experience of getting stuck in a different map instance than my squad and being unable to join them while sitting for many minutes trying to spam-join them is an annoyance I really could live without.

1. Having a way to join a queue would be great - then you could play and stay active on your current map instance and if a spot opened up on your target map, you could be prompted if you wanted to join now or not
  2. When you first join a map (such as waypointing in from a different map) you should always join your squad/party map if there's a spot available. It's frustrating to join a squad, waypoint to the map, be in a different shard, and have to taxi over.
  3. I do not think LFG entries should auto-disappear if the map is full, however LFG entries should have a visual indicator if the map is full.  It's bad enough as it is with general open world maps, but I'm thinking of the Labyrinth where there are dozens of LFG entries, and I often have to join/leave lots of groups before finding one that's not a full map.
  4. If you disconnect, I think your spot on that map should be reserved for a short period of time (maybe 5 minutes?). It's very frustrating to get disconnected for whatever reason, log back on, and get dropped in a different shard and be unable to re-join your squad. This happened to me just the other day in Seitung Province. My squad was in the final stage of the meta, I got disconnected, logged back on, and was dropped in a different shard that wasn't doing the meta. I tried to spam-join my squad to get back to my original map but was unable to. The squad finished the event without me.
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Orion Templar.4589 said:

Agreed, Turial.  Some modernization in this space is so much needed. I really love this game, but the bad experience of getting stuck in a different map instance than my squad and being unable to join them while sitting for many minutes trying to spam-join them is an annoyance I really could live without.

1. Having a way to join a queue would be great - then you could play and stay active on your current map instance and if a spot opened up on your target map, you could be prompted if you wanted to join now or not
  2. When you first join a map (such as waypointing in from a different map) you should always join your squad/party map if there's a spot available. It's frustrating to join a squad, waypoint to the map, be in a different shard, and have to taxi over.
  3. I do not think LFG entries should auto-disappear if the map is full, however LFG entries should have a visual indicator if the map is full.  It's bad enough as it is with general open world maps, but I'm thinking of the Labyrinth where there are dozens of LFG entries, and I often have to join/leave lots of groups before finding one that's not a full map.
  4. If you disconnect, I think your spot on that map should be reserved for a short period of time (maybe 5 minutes?). It's very frustrating to get disconnected for whatever reason, log back on, and get dropped in a different shard and be unable to re-join your squad. This happened to me just the other day in Seitung Province. My squad was in the final stage of the meta, I got disconnected, logged back on, and was dropped in a different shard that wasn't doing the meta. I tried to spam-join my squad to get back to my original map but was unable to. The squad finished the event without me.

I especially love your point of no.4 but I don't know how feasible that is.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It is very annoying but I don't think a queue system solves the actual problem of "I want to get into an instance to do an event", not by itself anyway.

Without queue: Spam "join in instance" until you get annoyed enough to leave.

With queue: You queue. You wait. Game ask you to join instance. You join instance only to find that the event has already been completed which is why there is room for you to enter. Is this an improvement? Technically yes since you didn't have to spam "join in instance" but it didn't get you any closer to the actual goal.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Arena net needs to stop making menus in the middle of the screen this is very annoying personally as a PvP player why can they not just make the screen dragable also when map traveling with friends it really is annoying when half my friends and up in one instance and the rest are in a dead map where the meta is at the point of being lost and this you have to wait 4 hours for it to start again.

Parties should be prioritized to be in map together even if the map is technically full and you could just add the few more players that make up the rest of your party

Sadly this will not happen due to people abusing this by getting into a full map a causing the meta to be way too easy and causing the game to crash do to too many weapon/armor animations 

Edited by Infinity.2876
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

It is very annoying but I don't think a queue system solves the actual problem of "I want to get into an instance to do an event", not by itself anyway.

Without queue: Spam "join in instance" until you get annoyed enough to leave.

With queue: You queue. You wait. Game ask you to join instance. You join instance only to find that the event has already been completed which is why there is room for you to enter. Is this an improvement? Technically yes since you didn't have to spam "join in instance" but it didn't get you any closer to the actual goal.

So what is your solution then? Don't do anything because you don't seem willing to try something else? Not trying to sound sarcastic, genuinely asking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Second day, the 4th attempt to join a Dragon'S End map. I chose a deserted time (tuesday 14:00). Two squads were already formed 1 hour before the actual start. Guess what? Both of them were full! I spent 1 hour tiredlessly clicking on "join map" every 2-3 seconds, I did not wanted to forfeit it if I spent such a horrible amount of time to join already, but after 1 hour of meaningless attempts I have been forced to give up. Like 10-12 of us wasn't able to join to the actual meta.
After the start one new map began to from, they were 8 people in the squad and suprise, the map was already full! 

Never like ever in my 9 years of GW2 career did any meta or map that to people who waited or joined in time (or much more time before the beginning) for days long. Its my 2nd day and the 4th attempt to just try to join the meta. Not trying to do the meta, just trying to join the meta.

Dear Anet: you do not feel to do anything against that horror what you have made, named Dragon's End? Or to any map joining and squad creating issues which seems a feature in your eyes to just watching it ruining your game?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/18/2022 at 10:30 PM, Turial.1293 said:

Surely PvE could borrow the queue system from WvW.

It's even better. Such a system already exists. It was in use before megaserver changes, and was used to queue from overflows to primary map (or from one overflow to another, if there was enough people to create more than one overflow map). It just got disabled when Anet introduced megaservers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4