Aura should be On-Enemy-Hit and not On-Self-Hit

Mell.4873

While going through the rune sets today, I realized how many rune sets give aura which are utterly useless.
5 to be exact can provide different aura which is distinctly a Elementalist class mechanic.

I believe the man reason they are so week is due to the power creep of other classes being able to provide boon/cc and many other things.
The change would bring them into current meta and be a valid buff for Elementalists to bring into any game mode and the rune sets would provide some other classes access.

PS. Magnet aura can stay the same

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

• Mell.4873 changed the title to Aura should be On-Enemy-Hit and not On-Self-Hit

Universally? No, that’s not a good idea, see ClickToKill’s comment above for a concise reasoning as to why. However, applying it to a specialization as a unique feature (with adjusted icd’s, aura durations, etc.) could be a thing I see happening and being viable. Probably would’ve worked well on catalyst tbh.

9 hours ago, ClickToKill.8473 said:

Auras would be too strong if they were on enemy hit.  They would have to be reworked, especially the ele auras, which punish attackers for targeting them. This is especially true for shocking aura. 

They would be to strong but it would give Elementalists a reason to exist and provide combo fields

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mell.4873 said:

They would be to strong but it would give Elementalists a reason to exist and provide combo fields

Lots of classes have no real reason to exist for example ranger, well it has stance share but its not rly needed in raids, fractals or whatever, druid is dead too. Ele, ranger... reason to exist is bc they r fun.

However what i wanna say is: Instead of giving ele a reason to exist, give it the ability to exist.

To make it short: Give it sustain.

Ele has very low sustain which makes some players even getting excluded from CMs or something like that (yes I saw this with my own eyes: "Not with ele").
The sustain is far too low on eles dps builds. Ele dps builds die far too fast, also far more dodge uptime and thats especially the case on Catalyst, you cant even hold orb up if u dodge.

Imo a big part of ele issues come with its sustain. Catalyst doesnt even have the ability to kill an elite mob in Eod with their dps build.

Active auras would really be too strong and it also would force almost every ele build to go for Water traitline for aura share, same like warriors are forced into banners. And you see how they love that...

Imo a big reason why ele isnt that viable in grp content is its sustain, thats just non-existent.
However Weaver and Tempest are having at least a few tools to survive better (Barrier on double attune skills for weaver / Advanced Protection and healing on warhorn skills + healing on water overload).
Catalyst just has a 4k heal on hammer and thats it.

Sustain brings a good part of viability too. And thats one of eles problems.
I am not even having a problem with anet forcing ele into melee, because melee weapons turn out better in general pve - But Then classes getting sustain for not dying instantly when they r in melee, however ele isnt getting sustain while being forced into melee.
Thats at least the biggest problem while I play ele. (Catalyst brings some more problems tho, but sustain is also a veeeery big problem in it, a bigger problem than on weaver and tempest at least)

I think active auras will also lead to nerfs to general ele weapon skills, utility skills and traits. I cant handle more nerfs.

26 minutes ago, Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:

? wat. did you miss the entire combo system when you downloaded the game?

Tempest has skills that make auras so it feels that ele should be the one making bubbles but other classes can do it to just in two button instead of one

Edited by Infinity.2876

48 minutes ago, SeTect.5918 said:

However what i wanna say is: Instead of giving ele a reason to exist, give it the ability to exist.

Imo a big part of ele issues come with its sustain. 

Sustain brings a good part of viability too. And thats one of eles problems.

I'm hoping they fix this with the 4th expac if it comes out.

It had better, a lot of classes at missing key elements.(pun not intended)

Edited by Infinity.2876

Not to diverge off topic, but if Anet made it so you couldn't have 100% quickness uptime on Guardian, that would really shake things up in high level PvE.  That seems to be the real problem, as Guardians can pull so much more weight than the other professions. 

Of course, the dps should stay around the same(perhaps buffing certain skill damage), so that Guardian doesn't fall off a cliff.

6 hours ago, Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:

? wat. did you miss the entire combo system when you downloaded the game?

But Ele provides the most fire, water, lightning, fields in the game. At most other classes can provide some water and some fire but its pretty hard to maintain them.

7 hours ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Lots of classes have no real reason to exist for example ranger, well it has stance share but its not rly needed in raids, fractals or whatever, druid is dead too. Ele, ranger... reason to exist is bc they r fun.

Wouldn't permanent fire aura provide much better sustain if all Ele auto attacks produced fire stacks. This could also be selfish and you wouldn't need to go down the water traitline.

6 minutes ago, Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:

im pretty sure an engi can match the amount of all those fields...

Engi also has light, smoke and eartharla (i think dark the only one they dont have) engi is far more of an field support then ele ever was. Auras is all ele has and at best its only the on apply auras effect you get to see as an ele and how you will be juged on your roll then the auras effects on other ppl.

We do need more on heal aura rune sets i would even like to see on wepon swap aura sigils. On being hit and on hitting never work too well for timing.

53 minutes ago, Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:

Just put +7% or +10% damage on fire aura instead of might, boom tempest/weaver supports are meta. Wow, that was hard.

That could work to, i just wanted to see more synergy rather than a flat number.

If everyone could stun a target once every 2 second with a Shocking Aura then that would synergies really well with untamed Fervent Force. Whole new Metas would spawn based on this.

12 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

That could work to, i just wanted to see more synergy rather than a flat number.

If everyone could stun a target once every 2 second with a Shocking Aura then that would synergies really well with untamed Fervent Force. Whole new Metas would spawn based on this.

Yeah I get it. But honestly I don't think we need to make combos and auras more complicated.
There are already synergy  existang arround; the berserker grandmaster trait, the transmutation for Elementalist, we could add some more, for example help the catalyst to transmute all auras in range; more aura detonation in traits (like the light aura with guardian etc) but mostly I think aura, in Pve, need this flat number to be clear for every one Aura = buff, and no gimmick that you will fail or forget in your rotation.