Viper's Specter OW.

shib.1369

If I were to run spectre open world I would use trailblazers for the best survivability, or if for sure you know youre going to be supporting people with boons. Ritualist or Cele.   

I don't know about spectre but on most classes trailblazer is just so much better than vipers because you gain so much tankiness and you don't lose much damage.  Most condi builds deal between 80 to 90% of their damage from conditions.  

• Like 1

I tried a Viper armour/weapons Spectre with Trailblazer trinkets.

I didn't enjoy it much (too squishy in my opinion) and I'm not invested enough in Thief to make and try out full Trailblazer with Superior Runes of the Undead.

Edited by Fueki.4753

Viper's Specter isn't bad, but can be a bit squishy. Use Hide in Shadows to help get things off you for a second if you need to, abuse Shroud for its extra life pool (make sure you use it when the gauge is near full), and definitely take the Consume Shadows, Larcenous Torment, and Strength of Shadows traits. The barrier is super helpful, you want your torment to do more damage, and taking less damage from enemies for each condition they have (2% less per) really help for surviving. This is assuming you're going for a condi build, btw.

Edited by RyuDragnier.9476
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zenith.7301 said:

Specter is purely a single target champion/boss spec, much like deadeye.

Deadeye can cleave trash all day with shortbow Clusterbombs, the but neither that build nor the staff daredevil have any way to quickly pull enemies together for truly efficient killing.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Zenith.7301 said:

Specter is awful for open world, not enough cleave, too much ramp up outside your venom and preparation window.

You're better off as daredevil.

Specter is purely a single target champion/boss spec, much like deadeye.

Is it that bad, huh? The cleave part 😑

I've been running sinister gear with my scepter/dagger build.  It's squishy so I took shadow arts.  With the range stealth from siphon, the melee stealth from dagger 5, and the heal stealth it's fine.  You actually end up generating barrier when you need it.  Wells and thousand needles can deal with numbers.  It's a fun build to play.

Viper is pretty good, still have some power in the build so I keep sword and pistol for stuns and some cleave altho it’s not ranged and you’re pretty glassy. I keep more than most of my 7-0 abilities include some invisibility cause you’ll need to escape a lot when you’re so glassy. Plus invis turns your shield to heal so you can heal your buddies more if you’re running with anyone.

4 hours ago, shib.1369 said:

Is it that bad, huh? The cleave part 😑

There's technicality to it.  Thousand Needles, Well of Sorrow, Grasping Shadows, and Eternal Night are all AoE condi skills.  Outside of those, the scepter is almost exclusively single target.  You can still run twin daggers on Specter, but the reduced initiative reduces the strength of the set. 

Anyway, I'm running Viper's myself.  The Shadow Shroud gives a lot of extra health, so if it is used defensively then the Specter is not frail in any sense.  I've only had limited play time with it, and I haven't tried to solo any champions, so I can only speak so much on gear sets, though.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Viper survival is fine, wether you use shroud for burst heal or not. Alac build of all Wells has even more survival and kinda sucks without it actually due to lack of large AoE which you will need for events. I don't think you need to bother with tanky stats~ that's less important for Specter survival than it is on the other Specs~ which are pretty helpless paper atm. Jade Bot Core 9/10 will help those a lot though.

Edited by Doggie.3184

The vipers build is fine for survivablility if the rotation includes popping into shroud while initiative is being restored. I guess this also involves knowing what skills give stability etc so it can be more technical.

Single target focus can feel tedious when there are a lot of mobs. There is a lot of cleave with shroud, but shroud does not seem all that rewarding for damage. Right now shroud is mainly used in order to wait for initiative to be refilled, some extra survivability and consume shadows on exit. Normally shroud is only activated for a few seconds in dps builds.

• Thanks 1

Viper's and Ritualist's gear both have extra value because you can use them as your gear for raids/strikes/fractals. (Viper's for the Deadeye Pistol-Dagger build, which has some of the highest single-target DPS of any build in the game. Ritualist's for alac support and also it's pretty forgiving.)

With Trailblazer you're making a gear set that's suitable for open-world boss-hunting and WvW roaming, mostly.

Specter is, imo, more strictly limited to instanced content. For ideal OW builds, be it condi or power, you'll still want to be using daredevil. Deadeye's very good in single-target group metas like Chak Gerent.

Also, since rune of tormenting got nerfed, trailblazer's just got all the more important for harder solo content. Invigorating Precision made power sustain so bad using condi gear will be nigh' mandatory in expansion content hard end soloing.

Edited by NorthernRedStar.3054

13 hours ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

I find this hilarious.
https://youtu.be/nhO1jT3jOOY

Yup. You can do similar stuff with Rifle 2, and also there's always Shortbow + Cluster Bomb for when the map is wall-to-wall packs of little trash enemies as well.

The main thing all open-world thief builds are missing is a way to pull a bunch of enemies together (like the Firebrand tome skill or the Revenant Mallyx skill), which is essentially a huge force multiplier on all other piercing/cleaving/small-aoe abilities. But that deficit is not unique to thief.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2022 at 12:39 AM, Eliam.3716 said:

So can one run Specter in Trailblazer OW just fine or still be squishy?

I'm running TB with undead runes - honestly the easiest to survive thief imo. with good technical use of shroud you can stay up for a long time in large packs. I killed a champ with multiple adds which is something I wasnt able to manage with other thief builds. I like its survivability but I struggle to enjoy the combat...it feel too. . .heavy. I'm running sc/d by the way.

I've been playing celestial armor with fireworks runes, viality infusions and grieving weapons & trinkets in WvW for roaming and it does fine survivability wise. Given you get more vitality from the jade bot I have no doubt you could make full grieving or vipers work in PvE. 

Edited by Jugglemonkey.8741

• 2 weeks later...