As a [Profession] Complete the End of Dragons Storyline

I recently realized that if I want all profession ascended weapons, I have to do the story 9 times. Did they think there would be logic in this? Why must I be force-fed the story over and over...And I have to do it playing the new specs? Because it says, "As a catalyst/harbinger/mechanist" etc, not "ele/necro/engi." There are players who would like to have all the weapons, but doing story 9 times is...ridiculous. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, wondermuffin.9680 said:

I recently realized that if I want all profession ascended weapons, I have to do the story 9 times. Did they think there would be logic in this? Why must I be force-fed the story over and over...And I have to do it playing the new specs? Because it says, "As a catalyst/harbinger/mechanist" etc, not "ele/necro/engi." There are players who would like to have all the weapons, but doing story 9 times is...ridiculous. 

This expac has taken a few real steps backwards in terms of alt friendliness.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, RyuDragnier.9476 said:

It's a long term thing to aim for, not short term. They're not expecting you to spam all 9 runs within 2 weeks, more like over 9 months or more.

i've had the core story for 8 years, hot for 6 years, pof for 4 years. never did any of them more than twice each...

honestly no story is that good, not even the witcher 3 deserves 9 repeat plays, and gw2's story is mediocre at best

combined with the previous item (needing you to kill a strike/story boss), it's clear this was another rushed thing they didnt think through

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, RyuDragnier.9476 said:

It's a long term thing to aim for, not short term. They're not expecting you to spam all 9 runs within 2 weeks, more like over 9 months or more.

Sure, okay, but why did they do it for the specialization collections of all things? Historically the collections have been a little tedious, but very easily doable. You could knock out several in an afternoon if you were focused. This change makes zero sense to me. 

I get that ArenaNet wants us to care about the story but all this is going to do is turn people sour on it. Plus you cannot skip any dialogue in the story which makes it frustrating and tedious to do even twice, much the less 9 (!!!) times. Like the user above me said, redoing a story 9 times would be unpleasant for any story, no matter how amazing, and GW2's story isn't particularly engaging. 

I hope they just change it to completing the DE meta, which is currently frustrating, but hopefully in the future will be much easier than having to redo hours and hours of story over and over again. 

Edited by kettering.6823
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I really hope anet is paying attention to these complaints.

I’ve now finished the EoD story on 3 professions for the ascended weapons. Starting the 4th.

I LOVE collections - but the idea of doing this story 6 more full times drives me bonkers. The reward is not worth the time investment. 

I just wanna complete some fun collections for wardrobe unlocks. Plz allow us to play only the final instance fight vs the whole story line anet! 

Also, feeling the pain on virtuoso that requires the whole story and a completion of the dragons end meta. some of the collections contain metas that on average are hella more successful than DE…

I imaging I’ll be able to quote the story here on my 4th time through. When I have to take another tour through the underwater facility I’ll make sure to adult, grab food or scoop the cat litter…. Anything is more exciting then yet another forever long tour. 

Edited by Calisanna.8732
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This reminds me of unlocking legendary weapons. How many times must we keep doing the same fractals? There is so much to do in the game--jumping puzzles, events, missions, hearts, bounties, fractals--we really shouldn't have to kill Mai Trin over and over. Same with the new weapon unlocks: plenty to do in the expansion without having to complete the DE meta, kill the Jade Maw, and complete the story over and over.

• Like 3

Yeah, i'll chime in on this one. I'd like to reverse this and put it in the people that had this idea. Would people at Anet want to do the story 9 times? I bet they would get bored s**tless the same way we would, and that would probably say it all.

I'm only part way through a 2nd run, and practically lost interest in it already. Add in the drearyness of "deepest secrets" which fills me with dread now - I mean, I could play a game of chess, watch a few films,  go for a 10 mile hike, paint the sistine chapel and godknows what else and they'd still be waffling on.

Is there a solution? maybe. After the 1st playthrough, and doing it properly - maybe they should have a "skip" button somewhere where you can bypass all that waffling on and complete it quicker (and still doing the rest) to make it less tedious. 

• Like 2

Would sure love some feedback from ANet on this.  I'm not even completely through the story the first time and am bored with people talking ten times more slowly than I can read.  I literally get up and go away from my computer and do chores, fix lunch, etc.

Please change the Elite Spec Weapon collections or I just plain will not do them.  As other posters have said, couldn't you have chosen a wider variety of things to do for them, like in PoF and HoT?  Gah, talk about boring.  It's one of the many things (bugs, terrible loot) turning me off of playing EoD.

• Like 2