Research Kits & Backpacks

I (sorta) get why ANet disabled lowest level potions for farming research notes, but why the heck can't I salvage all the darn profession backpacks. They are clearly crafted and high level, so what's the issue?  The are just sitting in my bank taking up space and I'd love to find a use for exotic crafted backpacks I only made to open the skins.

Backpacks are in a weird spot since most of the ones below ascended quality were never salvageable, including the crafted ones. I'm not quite sure what the reason behind that is/was, but being able to salvage them for research notes would indeed be nice (even though I destroyed all of mine ages ago).

I agree, this would be a really nice change. I've also got far too many spare backpacks in my bank and will have more relatively soon when I finish making a legendary backpack.

I can't imagine it would cause problems like the very low level stuff did, because they take the same materials and skills as other equipment of the same level, and it would give them another use.