Cantha at night,

I kind of got the sense during the guild chats that these environments would feel totally unique/different at night.. but I find myself preferring daytime visuals with reshade or just using reshade to darken the areas in general because even at night, these zones still feel like daytime to me?

I know that's kind of how it's always been but it feels a lot more noticeable in Cantha and I'm not sure if it's the vibrant color combinations or what. 

In Kaening, I spent a good while looking up at night and noticed all this smog around the upper edges. I think that fits well with the fact that it's a big industrial city but it still doesn't feel like night to me. 

I guess that's a difficult thing to approach because you want players to be able to see in the distance and know where they're going, but it still feels like it's a smidge too bright to be convey "night" to me. I feel like this might have been conveyed better in past maps. 

Path of Fire might have been fairly similar but it's a desert with clear open skies. In some cases in Cantha at night feels more like a skybox and gameplay change than it is environmental.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on particular sights to see that really do a great job of capturing this in Cantha? I'm in Saeting waiting on an event to spawn looking at the distance and it's beautiful, but it just feels more like a blue haze has settled on the land and the skybox changed and that's.. pretty much it.

I'm not talking Snowblind fractal dark though I'd love to see that incorporated in a future map and feel it could have been really cool in the boneskinner area of Bjora, but to an extent we've always had this concept of night and day variation between Ascalon Catacomb weapons, Sylvari glow, and everywhere I feel night has always been too bright throughout the game and I'm sure there's a design reason behind that but maybe there's a way to skew it further in that direction without risking agitating the playerbase?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bast.7253 said:

I kind of got the sense during the guild chats that these environments would feel totally unique/different at night.. but I find myself preferring daytime visuals with reshade or just using reshade to darken the areas in general because even at night, these zones still feel like daytime to me?

I know that's kind of how it's always been but it feels a lot more noticeable in Cantha and I'm not sure if it's the vibrant color combinations or what.

I have mentioned this on other threads: it's because the flora luminates (even in the dark), with the exception of the trees that are re-used from previous contents, and because the skybox lighting is completely off (try to fly high up in Kaineng at night and you will suddenly be in bright daylight, like someone has turned a light switch).

Edited by Ashantara.8731

6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I have mentioned this on other threads: it's because the flora luminates (even in the dark), with the exception of the trees that are re-used from previous contents, and because the skybox lighting is completely off (try to fly high up in Kaineng at night and you will suddenly be in bright daylight, like someone has turned a light switch).

I don't think the lighting is off or anything. That just means you've gone out of the intended portion of the player map where the atmospheric effects and skybox have a map specific appearance I'm guessing and maybe the rest is just some default that's programmed into their environment engine? 

I didn't know about the luminous plants though.

I just kept sitting in Saetung Harbor waiting on the event and seeing all the ghosts walking around and thinking.. this would be so cool if this area wasn't so bright.