what's the difference between a ghost and a spirit?

castlemanic.3198

okay so i know this is a weird question but like the spirits summoned by ritualists (and the unbound spirits that exist at the graveyard in echovald wilds) have entirely different models than ghosts that we've seen. is there a practical difference between the two? and what about mist-lost comrades, are they ghosts too?

i know this is such a minor point in this expansion but i'm just curious if there's really anything that's different between these different types of dead beings or not.

Edited by castlemanic.3198
  • Like 1

Ritualists in GW1 tended to summon "spirits of X" which we less of a person, and more of just like a spiritual formation of an emotion. IIRC that is. They did talk to specific ghosts and such, but the summons weren't exactly that.

In Eod, this follows a similar path with the bound/hostile spirits being "spirit of rage." or "spirit of agony" as I recall being the two that I've seen, which fits the descriptions we have of the Speakers and Purists forcibly chaining spirits up for power, a quick and easy way to the magic and practices compared to the older, safer way.

Mist Lost Comrades I believe are tying into the apparently Revenant heavy nature of the Aetherblades after they spent years stuck in the mists.

1 hour ago, castlemanic.3198 said:

okay so i know this is a weird question but like the spirits summoned by ritualists (and the unbound spirits that exist at the graveyard in echovald wilds) have entirely different models than ghosts that we've seen. is there a practical difference between the two? and what about mist-lost comrades, are they ghosts too?

i know this is such a minor point in this expansion but i'm just curious if there's really anything that's different between these different types of dead beings or not.

Those spirits in particular, no the only difference is that they're summoned by ritualists.

GW1 had different models too - and far less human looking at that. There is one situation off the top of my head where that model was used to represent human souls. It seems that like Nightmares, they're souls that get a bit deformed and twisted by the ritualist powers. However, as seen with Tahnnakai Temple spirits, ritualists can summon and bind a human soul without deforming them. It's never clarified why there's this visual difference going on.

As for the Mists-Lost Comrades, that's a bit harder to tell but I believe revenant echoes taking form.