Have we ever seen any sirens?

Fenom.9457

I was on the wiki page for Sea of Sorrows and read that before the area was renamed following the Zhaitan Disaster, part of the region was called the Bay of Sirens.  Which brought to mind the map Siren’s Landing and the fractal Siren’s Reef (which I theorize could have been around the Sea of Sorrows but is now sunken or destroyed). It got me thinking - why are the people around Central Tyria naming so many things after a creature we’ve never seen and is rarely actually mentioned? Nobody ever actually talks about them or what sirens are like in this world.  Or have I missed something? Of course they weren’t in the first game since you couldn’t jump let alone go in the water. So where does that leave us? We have a whole bunch is instances of stuff named after sirens and no actual lore on them?  As far as inventing new underwater races or monsters if (hopefully when) we explore the deep ocean and underwater content more, all this has got sirens near the top of my list 

The novel Sea of Sorrows does mention the existence of mermaids - at least in Tyrian stories. And there is the Siren of Orr mastery and Siren Master, which can give a hint to it.

My theory had been that largos could be the Tyrian mermaid/siren, luring sailors as part of a hunt.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

To be fair, Siren's Landing "siren" stuff refers to orrian (human) wizards that did magic with songs....

Which ain't very mermaid of them.

A variant mesmer perhaps? Or just a unique form of spellcasting in general? Orr was a very magic heavy nation with a lot of practices the other nations found weird or alien.

35 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

A variant mesmer perhaps? Or just a unique form of spellcasting in general? Orr was a very magic heavy nation with a lot of practices the other nations found weird or alien.

well the mastery lets you use a sliver of their magic while in the sirens landing, and it was large scale effects derived from each of the human gods.

Don't forget that Sirens often were depicted as half-woman half-birds, just like Harpies.

There are multiple kinds of Harpy enemies in GW1's Nightfall campaign that use the Paragon profession, which features many skills in regards to singing and voice in general.

So, while it's not in GW2 and not related to those regions already mentioned, these Harpy Paragons (kind of) are Sirens and players have encountered them while exploring Tyria.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

To be fair, Siren's Landing "siren" stuff refers to orrian (human) wizards that did magic with songs....

Which ain't very mermaid of them.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at.

Could reference the stories of a mermaid mentioned in Sea of Sorrows novel. Or could just reference Orrian singers.

I hold to my unfounded largos theory though, because largos having history with Orr would explain how Sayed knows Orrian and why largos names sound arabic just as Orrian names do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

I hold to my unfounded largos theory though, because largos having history with Orr would explain how Sayed knows Orrian and why largos names sound arabic just as Orrian names do.

It'd be interesting to see an entire Largos culture, not only the hunters we occasionally meet. Their Sirens could be Largos Mesmers, since it's the profession most associated with beauty and allure.

Arenanet could tie that with exploring the Unending Ocean and finally engage with the deep-sea horrors lore hints.

And since Aurene now circulates Soo-Won's water magic, she could create bubbles on the sea floor to provide us with traversable "land" in the Unending Ocean (since Arenanet doesn't want to make actual underwater content).

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

It would’ve been cool if mermaids/merfolk were included as benevolent minions of Soo-Won. Her version of sylvari, perhaps, or just an aquatic race she kept close and favored.

One of the things that really felt lacking about EoDs to me was the fact she didn’t have her own creations. How cool would it have been to fight alongside Soo-Won’s minions? Suppose Kuunavang filled that role, but it would’ve been neat to see Soo’s version dragon minions that weren’t evil. Honestly I was totally expecting all the jade mechs to turn into watery/liquid versions of those models later in the story and be co-opted as her minions that we’d have to fight in the final act.

Tbh I just love mermaids. Mermaids when ANet. 🥺

Edited by Zola.6197
  • Like 2

I always look at stuff like this the same way I look at statures and drawings of horses in game. Just like in real life not everything that is, is real. Meaning I see things like horses, mermaids, sirens, etc. things you see refenced in game but never see are basically at the real world level of dragons and trolls and stuff where we have a lot of lore and refences and images, but none of them are real.

1 hour ago, TeeracK.3601 said:

I always look at stuff like this the same way I look at statures and drawings of horses in game. Just like in real life not everything that is, is real. Meaning I see things like horses, mermaids, sirens, etc. things you see refenced in game but never see are basically at the real world level of dragons and trolls and stuff where we have a lot of lore and refences and images, but none of them are real.

Well, horses are real in Tyria. There's several historical documents involving horses, the undead horses in GW1 from Orr, and some horses seen in one scene in Edge of Destiny novel. There's even a Seraph who talks about different breeds of horses to use to compare centaurs to. All of this documented on wiki's Horse page.

But yeah, mermaids and sirens could very well be a fictional creature in Tyria.

The zombie horses could just be necromancer creations, and like I said. In real life just because we have lots of paintings and depictions of dragons through out all of human history in the real world doesn't mean they are real. I see horses the same way in tyria.

Real life doesn't have historical verified documentations saying "this guy died by falling off a dragon, and there's multiple accounts from different parties about the state of the dragon before and after this event".

It doesn't have ghosts saying "I died by being trampled by a dragon".

It doesn't have people literally seeing a dragon in an objective Word of God styled narrative.

Tyria, however, does have this for horses.

Just because ArenaNet is would rather put their resources of 3d model making into non-horse  things and the playerbase took that and ran a mile with it in counter to easily noticeable lore, doesn't mean that the playerbase's joke is even close to potential canon. Denying horses existing in Guild Wars (in a non-joke manner)... is kind of like denying we've been to space. There's plenty of evidence confirming it - you're just choosing to ignore it.

At most, horses are merely extinct in Central Tyria, Elona, and Cantha.

Ogres directly talk about how they break in stubborn, aggressive horses. EoD I believe has in the open act "HOLD YOUR HORSES!" Hell the wiki page mentions the horse prints around the hunting lodge lol.

Literally they didn't exist ingame because Anet didn't want horses around and have to deal with players constantly bombarding them with "PLEASE LET US HAVE MOUNTS NOW!" Though now with mounts, they could feasibly add in a horse skin to say, the Jackal (already used for deer and ox).

One suggestion I said a while back (considering how a horse doesn't have the advantages the other mounts do) is a horse toy like the riding broom or magic carpet.

I mean hell, in base game we had references to Charr using Marmox as mounts as well.  Horses aren't extinct, they just aren't shown ingame.

Edited by Kalavier.1097
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2022 at 11:36 AM, Amanda Whitemoon.6173 said:

as mentioned, Sirens are birds, not mermaids, and we have the harpy paragons. 

That may vary from language to language - in my native language word equivalent of Siren is used as name for mermaid (and we do not have a "mermaid" equivalent for it, just siren)

in know in latin languages they do that, and its because of a french book. but the sirens are from greek mythology and are birdwoman, thye have nothing to do with mermaids, they even got killed by drowning them. sirens have beautiful voices comes from songbirds. from what i understand, in the medieval period, a french author mixed them up with mermaid. and now in latin languages they have become synonims. and alot of time in fiction they get mixed together too, but not always, Magic the Gathering has sirens too, and they are birds. but it looks like here in gw, Sirens are neither birds or mermaids, they are just orrian wizards.

1 hour ago, Amanda Whitemoon.6173 said:

in know in latin languages they do that, and its because of a french book. but the sirens are from greek mythology and are birdwoman, thye have nothing to do with mermaids, they even got killed by drowning them. sirens have beautiful voices comes from songbirds. from what i understand, in the medieval period, a french author mixed them up with mermaid. and now in latin languages they have become synonims. and alot of time in fiction they get mixed together too, but not always, Magic the Gathering has sirens too, and they are birds. but it looks like here in gw, Sirens are neither birds or mermaids, they are just orrian wizards.

Yeah, I think that as has been said, the closest thing to a real world siren in Tyria would be the Harpies. Though their alluring aspect does not appear to be their voices, but instead their pheromones.

Honestly I would like to think there are a lot of species out in the ocean that we've never seen in the game before.

Myths of mermaids and sirens being something we can confirm one day if/when we go exploring it.

It's one of the areas of Tyria that's rarely been touched on tbh and Anet have clearly set us up with a horrific threat in the depths although whether they will actually deliver that story is anyone's guess.

I hope so personally, i'm a big fan of going into the unending ocean and in general discovering all sorts of cool things hidden in the deep parts of the world.
There is great story potential down there.