Game crashes at entering WvW

occours since: since EoD was rolled.
occours when: the WvW window is opened and i chose to enter eternal battlegrounds or one of the borders. Only green border lets me enter WvW.
Because of that detour i have to wait in queue sometimes even when i wanted to visit another map. When im finally able to enter the WvW maps i can freely teleport between them with no problems at all.

sidenote : i did not buy EoD.

Edited by MidnightX.6294

Same issue for me.

Went through support, tried 8 troubleshoot methods, was of no assistance. So far support wouldn't acknowledge the crash report I attached to my ticket; all I got were automated messages.

We're in the same boat if your crash report starts off like the following:

*--> Crash <--*
Exception: c0000005  
Memory at address 00007ff6`000000b8 could not be read

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is happening to me too!! I crash an average of 4+ times every day when attempting to enter wvw (sometimes more, occasionally just once or twice), barely one second into the loading screen. Once I do manage to get into wvw, I can freely switch maps with no problems. I do not crash with literally any other game mode, not even pvp. The problem only started for me since the patch where DX11 was made standard. Strangely, every once in a while I load in on the first try, but I LITERALLY HAVE NOT CHANGED A THING on those attempts!

I've repaired my game twice, it did not help. I have turned down number of character models and model quality to the lowest setting. I have set standard enemy and friendly models in wvw. I crash when joining solo, and when already part of a squad. It does not seem to matter what borderland I try to join. I have tried both DX9 deprecated and DX11, it does not seem to matter which, I still crash. When the crashes began, I was already using DX9, and the game automatically kept my settings to be DX9. (Sadly when I try DX11, I still get crashes, and I get the preview window bug where only half of my character is viewable. So there was no motivation for me to stay on d11). I've tried closing other programs on my computer so that gw2 is the only thing running, I've tried only closing certain programs, no combination seems to change anything.

I've run out of ideas. What else can I even try? I belong to an active wvw guild and run wvw for a couple hours nightly when I can manage to log in, so this is a huge part of my game experience that isn't working.

Edited by Poisonfrog.9812

I actually figured it out after trying so many things. It's one of the weirdest things and i would've never guessed. I started to suspect its something with the rendering of skins. So.. i found out that when i disable winters presence shoulder skin - i don't crash, possibly gloves from drizzlewood coast mastery too, not sure about that still but i removed both skins. 😄 Hilarious but for me it worked... after going back and forth with anet support and trying tons of other stuff... that's what was causing it. So make sure you don't have some weird skins, maybe infusions might do that too im not sure. Something to do with rendering certain skins when u switch from pve to wvw. 

Edited by Carnifex.3275
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2022 at 1:28 PM, Carnifex.3275 said:

I actually figured it out after trying so many things. It's one of the weirdest things and i would've never guessed. I started to suspect its something with the rendering of skins. So.. i found out that when i disable winters presence shoulder skin - i don't crash, possibly gloves from drizzlewood coast mastery too, not sure about that still but i removed both skins. 😄 Hilarious but for me it worked... after going back and forth with anet support and trying tons of other stuff... that's what was causing it. So make sure you don't have some weird skins, maybe infusions might do that too im not sure. Something to do with rendering certain skins when u switch from pve to wvw. 

OH MY GOSH IT WORKED!!!!!! As long as I pre-swap to an equipment set that does NOT have Winter's Presence skin, I do not crash when entering wvw. If my wvw set uses the Winters Presence skin, or if I start in pve in a set with Winter's Presence, I crash, even if it's swapping to my wvw set that does not use WP. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

See.. told ya 😄 cuz i really went through so much technical stuff... anet also gave me so many things to try out and nothing helped. So i assume it's something to do with shoulders disappearing and adding that snow effect. Maybe the game thinks that shoulders are toggled on but you can't actually see any shoulder skins so it crashes. Hope anet is aware of it. Plus i have a feeling it's the same with nightfury (or whatever that skin is called). Those flying bats around you. So yeah! Happy it was your case too. 🙂

Edited by Carnifex.3275

• 2 months later...

Thanks! This still isn't fixed, which is not good considering the time of year. But was having crashes and disabling Winters Presence stopped the crashes! 

Just disabling with the tick box stopped the crashes, no need to even remove the skin

Edited by John.8507
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2022 at 7:37 PM, Rose.2593 said:

Thanks! This still isn't fixed, which is not good considering the time of year. But was having crashes and disabling Winters Presence stopped the crashes! 

Just disabling with the tick box stopped the crashes, no need to even remove the skin

Had this just now happen multiple times in a row on my Ele who is wearing Winters Presence and he didn't crash once I toggled it off. So either coincidence or the skin is broken.^^

Yup yup. I couldn't believe when i figured it out that fix is so funny. Cuz i tried like everything system related. I think i was even at the point where i just wanted to reinstall windows 😂 Though now on my new rig i dont have that issue, so it also depends on your hardware i suppose. But yeah, u just toggle off those skins and enter wvw. U toggle them back when u're in pve or you are already in wvw.

I hope anet is aware of it now. Support didn't really help me even if they suggested a ton of system related fixes (like sfcscan, appdata, runnin as admin, runnin compatibility modes etcetc...)

Edited by Carnifex.3275
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is happening again to my Thief after last patch. Couldn't enter WvW on him without crashing until I right-clicked an equipment template and unequipped all items and entered with that template on. Tried with some combinations but not sure why it's so yet, my other characters dont crash and wear same stuff.

Began happening immediatly after getting kicked from WvW for patch and relaunching. Nothing system related seems to matter as it happens on other computer which is reformated and fully updated and GW2 is only thing downloaded on it. Really wish patches didn't insta-kick at lightning speed from WvW, cuz it makes me feel like his data server side is corrupted when they do that before I can leave manually/safely.

Edited by Doggie.3184

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can confirm this bug happens when wearing Nightfury light. Any time i have nightfury showing/equiped and i enter WVW i crash the very second i take it off or hide it i don't crash. The crash only happens when entering WVW with the skin on.I can wear the skin in pve and go do anything i want and no crash.I am glad i found this because i was trying to figure out what it might be i just built a new pc so i figured that might have something to do with it but after seeing this thread and testing it iam 100% sure its gw 2 and not my pc.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...