Can we please make it so you can complete LWS2 achievements the first go around

Discovered today I apparently deleted the character I completed the first 2 chapters of LWS2 on and need to redo them to be able to unlock the ability to do the achievements. LWS2 is by far my least favourite season story wise and the thought of having to do it three times (the first time I completed it, this second time and then a third time for achievements) is not pleasant. I really don't know why this hasn't happened already, since every single LW season and expansion going forward let you complete the achievements your first playthrough.

It would make LWS2 marginally less of a slog to play through at the very least. Everyone I've talked to personally has disliked LWS2 the most, so I know it's not just me...

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

I do not understand you. You want the return to... achievement already unlock in the past before they have been created?

Can I get my birthday gift for 100 years Guild Wars 2 right now?

No they want to do the normal season 2 achievement on first playthrough that we complained about way back when so they changed it season 3+

They listened to feedback made it easier for us going forward if the community then demand they should go back and redo everything before I dont think we will get anymore feedback listening to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

I do not understand you. You want the return to... achievement already unlock in the past before they have been created?

Not quite. All the regular achievements tied to story instances in Season 2 can't be completed on a character's first trip through those instances; the achievements only unlock on playing through a given instance with that character the second time. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Randin.5701 said:

Not quite. All the regular achievements tied to story instances in Season 2 can't be completed on a character's first trip through those instances; the achievements only unlock on playing through a given instance with that character the second time. 

Which is one of the most worse things they ever done in this game! Hahha. But i agree with OP. I see no reason to not change it. I have no idea if its a lot of work or not. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

They would have to redo every instance and people rather have new content mate so it aint going to happen.

Can you please post on you official ArenaNet account when making such specific statements?

Somehow I doubt that anyone who doesn't have access to GW2's source code or assets, can make such a definitive assessment. Since most RPGs, independent of the fact whether they are an MMO or single player, are heavily data driven, a change like the one the OP and others before him requested should actually only require an edit of a few boolean variables for each achievement. Assuming of course that the original developers put some thought into structuring their database and code.

However, since I don't have access to any internal GW2 assets, I can't claim to know what Anet actually had to do, if they wanted to change the way LWS2 mastery achievements unlock. They should change the way nevertheless, because there is nothing more annoying and frustrating than the constantly changing story telling mechanics between personal story, expansion story and the various chapters of the living world seasons.

6 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

They listened to feedback made it easier for us going forward if the community then demand they should go back and redo everything before I dont think we will get anymore feedback listening to be honest.

Anet just announced the remake/remastering and return of LWS1. So I guess, you are wrong on this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2022 at 11:27 AM, Linken.6345 said:

They would have to redo every instance and people rather have new content mate so it aint going to happen.

No

Right now, when you play through living world season 2 - you can only obtain the achievements in the story instance on your second time playing that instance per character. 

This means you have to play through the full episode on a character, then start the whole episode again on that same character and do it all once more in order to unlock the achievements as they only become available to complete during that second playthrough.

The OP is asking that anet update this so that achievements can be unlocked during the first playthrough without having to play it twice. This would mean being able to do repeat plays on another character if desired. Right now if you want to attempt an achievement on a different character then you have to play the whole episode on that character once first and then start it all over again on that same character to be able to try for achievements. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

That is not what they are asking for. Read the comment i posted directly above this one

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sevetamryn.2974 said:

Do i understand this right - I just did all story content for the 1st time - i have to do season 2 a second time using the same character to get additional achievements? .... Asking because i would like to do all the story parts again, but using a new character. 

That's correct. For example I have run LWS2 ch. 6 something like 20 times on 20 characters for the guaranteed Black Lion Chest Key, but sill haven't done that mastery achievement yet, despite doing the proper actions for the achievement in many of those runs.. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

No they want to do the normal season 2 achievement on first playthrough that we complained about way back when so they changed it season 3+

That started in HoT not S3.

There is no reason it should require redoing everything. It should be a couple lines of code changed per episode at most plus time to run it through QA.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sevetamryn.2974 said:

Do i understand this right - I just did all story content for the 1st time - i have to do season 2 a second time using the same character to get additional achievements? .... Asking because i would like to do all the story parts again, but using a new character. 

Correct. And this is the problem OP is asking to be addressed. For you to do the achievements on a second character you will have to complete all the episodes on that character once and then start is all over again on that character for the achievements.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 11:32 PM, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

Can you please post on you official ArenaNet account when making such specific statements?

Somehow I doubt that anyone who doesn't have access to GW2's source code or assets, can make such a definitive assessment. Since most RPGs, independent of the fact whether they are an MMO or single player, are heavily data driven, a change like the one the OP and others before him requested should actually only require an edit of a few boolean variables for each achievement. Assuming of course that the original developers put some thought into structuring their database and code.

However, since I don't have access to any internal GW2 assets, I can't claim to know what Anet actually had to do, if they wanted to change the way LWS2 mastery achievements unlock. They should change the way nevertheless, because there is nothing more annoying and frustrating than the constantly changing story telling mechanics between personal story, expansion story and the various chapters of the living world seasons.

Anet just announced the remake/remastering and return of LWS1. So I guess, you are wrong on this one.

And true if you would have said they are remaking season 1 before this annuncement my answer would have been the same they wont do it.

Im glad they are doing it tho since even I as a head start player missed some of season 1 due to computer repair problems.

But remaking old lost content is not the same as having to redo content that is playable already.

9 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

That started in HoT not S3.

There is no reason it should require redoing everything. It should be a couple lines of code changed per episode at most plus time to run it through QA.

If it was as easy as  you two say, just change a couple of tick boxes or lines of code.

Dont you think Anet would have done that already?

8 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

If it was as easy as  you two say, just change a couple of tick boxes or lines of code.

Dont you think Anet would have done that already?

Not necessarily. The things they decide to change (or not change) depend on their priorities at the time, and so there are a lot of potential fixes and good adjustments that can be made across the game but aren't simply because it's not where the focus is.

Being that improving the new player experience is a stated goal for them now, things like putting LS2+3 achievements more in line with HoT and beyond seems like a good kind of cleanup consistent with what they're trying to achieve this year + going forward.