ArenaNet Studio Update: The future of Guild Wars 2

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Star Wars: The Old Republic, which lasted all of seven months before going free-to-play.

https://venturebeat.com/2012/12/27/the-best-mmos-of-2012/

Guild Wars 2 – one of the top-selling PC games of 2012, Guild Wars 2 is a high fantasy 3D MMORPG that is very polished and fun to play.

https://bestmmorpg2013.com/

Year Released: 2012
2012 Score: 13.6
2012 Rank: 2
2013 Weeks Ranked: 52
Year Released: 2012
Developer: ArenaNet
Publisher: NCSoft

https://nosygamer.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-digital-dozen-2013-final-rankings.html

It's easy to find information on Google. 

it had the biggest name, the biggest budget, and a similar time ín development.

if you had removed the STAR WARS title, it would had failed even harder

now thats a scary thought. 

24 minutes ago, battledrone.8315 said:

it had the biggest name, the biggest budget, and a similar time ín development.

if you had removed the STAR WARS title, it would had failed even harder

now thats a scary thought. 

I dont care if it was called star-wars online or Lord of the rings. The thing is GW2 had 11.5 million gw1 accounts sold and waiting for GW2 to buy it from day 1 led by false promises like s-port, holding what was good in gw1, challenging content and many more... SWTOR didnt had 11.5 million accounts/ppl to buy from day 1.

I even remember seeing random people look at gw2 news in the university cos it was the sensation of the moment BEFORE it launched. There was a massive hype train created and spread across all mmo communitys.

And after all these years gw2 has always been behind top mmos like: WoW, Final Fantasy XIV, Destiny 2, Elder Scrolls,  Path of Exile, Runescape and more.

PD: Even in the NCsoft quarterly earning reports, you can see low tier MMOS like Aion-BDS to make as much money or even more than Gw2, when they are dead p2w games specially in the west. That i also belive they dont have 300 employees working for their respective titles as Anet has for gw2.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

I dont care if it was called star-wars online or Lord of the rings. The thing is GW2 had 11.5 million gw1 accounts sold and waiting for GW2 to buy it from day 1 led by false promises like s-port, holding what was good in gw1, challenging content and many more... SWTOR didnt had 11.5 million accounts/ppl to buy from day 1.

I even remember seeing random people look at gw2 news in the university cos it was the sensation of the moment BEFORE it launched. There was a massive hype train created and spread across all mmo communitys.

so you are blaming anet for the dreams, that some twitter mob had?

further more, try investigating how the games with similar hype levels did.

cyberpunk, no mans sky, anthem...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, battledrone.8315 said:

so you are blaming anet for the dreams, that some twitter mob had?

further more, try investigating how the games with similar hype levels did.

cyberpunk, no mans sky, anthem...

Anet legit lied a lot in the previews of Gw2 before it launched, the critizism after the launch was massive, and lots of people left. Im not getting this up, i remember living it. I pre-purchased gw2, i stoped playing in 2013, and im back thx to EoD and PoF since last year, just cos pure nostalgia of gw1 content and to give the game another try (like many others throughout all these years). The game has improved a lot since core, and i think they should improve more things like LFG, base game experience, more tutorials for endgame content so you dont have to look so many stuff outside of the game etc...

I still remember all the drama of 1)GW2 and GW1 are different games, 2)Why is named GW with no GvG?, 3)There is no endgame, 4)The game is super easy and not exciting, 5)Gw2 is just for casuals... that still lives in peoples head to this day.

You will also be surprised to know the amount of people waiting for a real GW1 successor and a new game that is not gw2.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 10

On 4/25/2022 at 1:11 PM, Izzy.2951 said:

I still remember all the drama of 1)GW2 and GW1 are different games, 2)Why is named GW with no GvG?, 3)There is no endgame, 4)The game is super easy and not exciting, 5)Gw2 is just for casuals... that still lives in peoples head to this day.

You will also be surprised to know the amount of people waiting for a real GW1 successor and a new game that is not gw2.

Get over it. GW2 is not GW1 and Anet would not make most of the GW2 community happy if, after 10 years, the studio would try to change GW2 into GW1 - if that's what they are trying to do/test with EoD-DE.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

Get over it. GW2 is not GW1 and Anet would not make most of the GW2 community happy if, after 10 years, the studio would try to change GW2 into GW1 - if that's what they are trying to do/test with EoD-DE.

Next time read the conversation before making any random statement.

I didnt ask for any of that, i just said expansions (including EoD) are x10 better than core game, which need an update. And ofc that having more challenges is good for the game and is what arenanet aimed since ages, that will maybe make the players not say gw2 is a full casual fashion game. And for players to stick more time with the game.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 1
  • Confused 10

On 4/26/2022 at 9:47 PM, Izzy.2951 said:

Next time read the conversation before making any random statement.

I didnt ask for any of that, i just said expansions (including EoD) are x10 better than core game, which need an update. And ofc that having more challenges is good for the game and is what arenanet aimed since ages, that will maybe make the players not say gw2 is a full casual fashion game. And for players to stick more time with the game.

yea, because hardcore mmos are doing so well.  each and everyone. and lets not forget, that they started way bigger, than anyone else with the words "casual", "play as you want" etc. and now theyre down to 300k players, right after the big finale

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 4/30/2022 at 12:30 AM, battledrone.8315 said:

yea, because hardcore mmos are doing so well.  each and everyone. and lets not forget, that they started way bigger, than anyone else with the words "casual", "play as you want" etc. and now theyre down to 300k players, right after the big finale

There's nothing hardcore about open world.  I know you think that's the case, but it just isn't.  What you consider "hardcore" is just normal gameplay to the average player. 

GW2 is doing quite well at the moment, by all indications.  The population is growing.  It's getting a lot of buzz in the MMO community.  We're seeing a ton of new and returning players.  But it probably won't last because GW2 is so focused on open world and that just isn't likely to retain players.

For that they need to pay more attention to their instanced content and sorry to say a handful of strikes aren't going to do the trick.  FFXIV is doing very well because of its dungeon/raid content.  Here that sort of content is more of an afterthought.  I think that's a mistake.

But regardless of whether more focus on instanced PvE is the right move, I can tell you what the wrong move is: All Queensdale all the time.  In short, what you want.  A return to the core game.  The core game is part of the problem.  It's awful.  Bland, boring, no challenge, no structure.  This is what we show to new players and for a lot of them it's a real turnoff.  I know you love it, but you're an outlier. A big one.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

There's nothing hardcore about open world.  I know you think that's the case, but it just isn't.  What you consider "hardcore" is just normal gameplay to the average player. 

GW2 is doing quite well at the moment, by all indications.  The population is growing.  It's getting a lot of buzz in the MMO community.  We're seeing a ton of new and returning players.  But it probably won't last because GW2 is so focused on open world and that just isn't likely to retain players.

For that they need to pay more attention to their instanced content and sorry to say a handful of strikes aren't going to do the trick.  FFXIV is doing very well because of its dungeon/raid content.  Here that sort of content is more of an afterthought.  I think that's a mistake.

But regardless of whether more focus on instanced PvE is the right move, I can tell you what the wrong move is: All Queensdale all the time.  In short, what you want.  A return to the core game.  The core game is part of the problem.  It's awful.  Bland, boring, no challenge, no structure.  This is what we show to new players and for a lot of them it's a real turnoff.  I know you love it, but you're an outlier. A big one.

from 12 mio to 300k, and im the "outlier"? FF is doing very well, because they still have gear progression,

and because they havent screwed as much up, as the rest of the mmos. its not hard to look competent,

when youre surrounded by a bunch of clowns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

This.

People dont understand that there have to be good instanced pve content, aswell as good PvP/WvW content, with rewards/ratings etc to keep players. Whenever you say something like that they say "oh like the typical mmo are doing so bad", well sorry to say fox but games like WoW/FF14 etc have always had x5 times the population of gw2.

GW2 cant be a game that only sustain on doing the story once or some events in an open map and leave the game. Also they need to hardly improve tools like LFG.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Confused 5

Does it include a path to legendary weapons that doesn't force uninterested players into WvW, because I hit the "No. You'll play the way we TELL you to play, kitten it" pretty quickly with GW2. So far, can't find a reason to come back. EoD isn't going to do it, as nothing in the update looks even remotely interesting.

Other than that, it just looks like Collectathon 2: Ascended Backpack Boogaloo.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

This.

People dont understand that there have to be good instanced pve content, aswell as good PvP/WvW content, with rewards/ratings etc to keep players. Whenever you say something like that they say "oh like the typical mmo are doing so bad", well sorry to say fox but games like WoW/FF14 etc have always had x5 times the population of gw2.

GW2 cant be a game that only sustain on doing the story once or some events in an open map and leave the game. Also they need to hardly improve tools like LFG.

are you kidding me? they already have 2 full tiers of instances, that very few people play, and tons of metas that 

people can grind if they want to.

since launch, they have done nothing, but "repeatable content" (grinding, that was never supposed to be there, according to 

their own manifest). 

instanced content wont save this game. specially not since they make the most painful, anti casual instances in the

entire industry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

17 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Well, people don't understand that GW2 is not like "the typical MMO". GW2 is a MMO game also for players that don't like "typical MMOs". This is one of the reasons why GW2 still exists and is doing well (and a lot of "typical MMOs" are doing worse than GW2).

If you want to compare the success and population of GW2, WoW and FF14. Fine. Please do it in detail. But then please don't just take out one or two things for comparison because they're convenient for your argument.

How several other games usually retain players with instanced content does not work for GW2: You have to play/grind instanced content for weeks/months to increase your gear level and only with better gear level you are allowed to play "higher" content tiers, that you have to grind for ... again and again.  And from time to time (probably with expansions) the max level is increased and invalidates older gear.

GW2 is not doing this. This is a good thing. Sure, there are drawbacks. And some players don't have a feeling of progression without the need to grind for "better" gear over and over repeatedly and they ask for better rewards in instanced content instead because some of their behaviors have been shaped by other MMOs.

But I agree that GW2 should have good content in all it's game modes and sub-types. I would say the game modes that are in most need at the moment are PvP and WvW (not PvE!) because both were neglected for a long time. Yes, Anet promised, they work again on improving WvW, but we will see how it goes.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

17 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

Well, people don't understand that GW2 is not like "the typical MMO". GW2 is a MMO game also for players that don't like "typical MMOs". This is one of the reasons why GW2 still exists and is doing well (and a lot of "typical MMOs" are doing worse than GW2).

If you want to compare the success and population of GW2, WoW and FF14. Fine. Please do it in detail. But then please don't just take out one or two things for comparison because they're convenient for your argument.

How several other games usually retain players with instanced content does not work for GW2: You have to play/grind instanced content for weeks/months to increase your gear level and only with better gear level you are allowed to play "higher" content tiers, that you have to grind for ... again and again.  And from time to time (probably with expansions) the max level is increased and invalidates older gear.

GW2 is not doing this. This is a good thing. Sure, there are drawbacks. And some players don't have a feeling of progression without the need to grind for "better" gear over and over repeatedly and they ask for better rewards in instanced content instead because some of their behaviors have been shaped by other MMOs.

But I agree that GW2 should have good content in all it's game modes and sub-types. I would say the game modes that are in most need at the moment are PvP and WvW (not PvE!) because both were neglected for a long time. Yes, Anet promised, they work again on improving WvW, but we will see how it goes.

you prolly havent played a gear grinder for some time, most of them dont work like that anymore.

the new gear drops like candy in all new content, and the old gear is disenchanted for upgrades to artifacts and 

enhancements.

gear only becomes invalid the second, that you have something better.

and the new content is scaled for the majority of players, not the elite. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, battledrone.8315 said:

you prolly havent played a gear grinder for some time, most of them dont work like that anymore.

I have played some, but, of course, not "most of them", whatever "most of them" means.

• Haha 1

It looks like it's REALLY hard for some people to accept that GW2 hasn't failed as badly as they always predicted. Still preaching the game is doomed. I guess it's easy to just dismiss all the good things that are happening to believe revenge is around the corner. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

On 4/25/2022 at 12:02 PM, Izzy.2951 said:

And after all these years gw2 has always been behind top mmos like: WoW, Final Fantasy XIV, Destiny 2, Elder Scrolls,  Path of Exile, Runescape and more.

PD: Even in the NCsoft quarterly earning reports, you can see low tier MMOS like Aion-BDS to make as much money or even more than Gw2, when they are dead p2w games specially in the west. That i also belive they dont have 300 employees working for their respective titles as Anet has for gw2.

I totally agree with you, Arenanet promised a lot but failed to deliver and that first impression is lasting for a lot of players that tried the game out at the beginning. Even tho the game has improved for those that witnessed the game at the start, most of them never came back. What makes me believe that Arenanet still has not pushed GW2 forward after all those years and that's why the game was and still is lagging behind the top 3 MMORPG's FFXIV, ESO and WOW.. and I think mostly will never change, like you said just check the quarterly earning reports what a clear indication is that players are not willing to spend money in the cash shop. The thing is reward wise doing PVE and PVP content is just useless and bad, the only endgame is farming gold and converting gold into gems to buy store items and that is the BIGGEST issue with the game. If they had normal gear progression or something that is meaningful to be rewarded with by doing PVE and PVP a lot more players would play the game, also by making all those convenient items by default available instead buying from the cash shop would bring more players in. By doing that they then could stop the gold into gem conversion and just sell cosmetic items only. Players would be satisfied with having real rewards in game that they can work towards instead of crafting items and by having some good banged out new content each 3 months would also help a lot to keep players coming back. On top of that go full out nuts on the cosmetics and only cosmetics in the cash shop that you can buy with money that are reasonable prized and players I think would be happy to spend more because they see the game has regular good content that is rewarding so why not support them by buying those cosmetics. That way a lot more new players would be willing to try out the game instead to be hit immediately with 'I need to buy bag/bank space and so on...'. because my bags are full off all those items that I don't even have a clue what they are for... and as new player you have nog gold so you spend some money on the cash shop to get those convenient items (bag/bank-bags...ect..) and after few days you are like F-this I am out and you never come back because it keeps going on. Maybe I'm rambling but I think players get my point.  Heck even I was disappointed and was gone for several years, only recently I came back to check out the new expansion just to be disappointed, but still try to keep myself telling the game is okey but more and more I play I'm like why am I doing this?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

On 5/2/2022 at 5:02 AM, battledrone.8315 said:

from 12 mio to 300k, and im the "outlier"? FF is doing very well, because they still have gear progression,

and because they havent screwed as much up, as the rest of the mmos. its not hard to look competent,

when youre surrounded by a bunch of clowns.

I also think not having a gear progression is a BIG fail on Arenanet part to make meaningful PVE content, that concept that is in place now makes it very hard for them to make most players even want to try out the new dungeons or raids. And they can definitely see that in the intern analysts reports, so they don't bother pushing out new dungeons and raids each few months because it is a waist of time for them. Also mentioning gear progression on the GW2 forums or social platforms is triggering those handful players that are very vocal on those platforms, they don't like gear progression because they like to play with the same gear like they did forever and they make it very clear every time that most GW2 players think like them what I think is totally nonsense. It is just a shame because GW2 has a lot potential....

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

42 minutes ago, venator.8326 said:

I also think not having a gear progression is a BIG fail on Arenanet part to make meaningful PVE content, that concept that is in place now makes it very hard for them to make most players even want to try out the new dungeons or raids. And they can definitely see that in the intern analysts reports, so they don't bother pushing out new dungeons and raids each few months because it is a waist of time for them. Also mentioning gear progression on the GW2 forums or social platforms is triggering those handful players that are very vocal on those platforms, they don't like gear progression because they like to play with the same gear like they did forever and they make it very clear every time that most GW2 players think like them what I think is totally nonsense. It is just a shame because GW2 has a lot potential....

of course most owners of legendary gear will fight against it, who would like to see all that work become pointless?

if anet caves, and makes a new gear progression, they will most certainly antagonize many of the end game players.

and if they dont, the game will just fade away. 

making legendary gear was a HUGE mistake, both because its a gear progression on its own, and its so exclusive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

of course most owners of legendary gear will fight against it, who would like to see all that work become pointless?

if anet caves, and makes a new gear progression, they will most certainly antagonize many of the end game players.

and if they dont, the game will just fade away. 

making legendary gear was a HUGE mistake, both because its a gear progression on its own, and its so exclusive.

Considering the the amount that have legendary gear is a small percentage compared to the rest of the population. Also they could just buff the legendary gear stats for those that already have that gear because those players invested a lot time to get it, what should be fair enough. And on the other hand new players and the the rest can enjoy having a gear-progression finally and eventually working towards those legendary's. SO lets say a new expansion drops with beter gear they could even make stat/sigil's with beter stats to upgrade the current gear legendary's or the gear below, I mean a lot of options could work. But likely this will never happen and the game will just fade away at some point if nothing changes, changes for the beter to attract new players and keep most of the current players. 

Edited by venator.8326
  • Confused 6

First: That is an ad hominem argument. No need to attack (most) owners of legendary gear.

Second:  The work for legendary gear would not become pointless. Legendary equipment will always have stat values equivalent to the highest tier of equipment available.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, venator.8326 said:

Atm the end-game is farm gold convert to gems buy store items

The endgame is anything a player does in the game by playing the content that a player enjoys. This freedom is something that many players coming from other games like WoW don't understand (at first).

If your end-game is farming gold to convert to gems to buy store items ... that's fine. But it is *your* end-game and not *the* end-game.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Zok.4956 said:

The endgame is anything a player does in the game by playing the content that a player enjoys. This freedom is something that many players coming from other games like WoW don't understand (at first).

If your end-game is farming gold to convert to gems to buy store items ... that's fine. But it is *your* end-game and not *the* end-game.

I get your point, but for example WOW has enough freedom to do stuff outside raids and dungeons for players that don't like endgame . But Gw2 has no endgame it is all casual 24/7 crafting resources farm converting to gold and gems. I mean I play GW2 and all events and everything I do I get gear that is sold on the market as the crafting items because I have no use for them, the gear is worth nothing to keep because no gear progression no beter gear. It just feels the same as when the game went live years ago. That is the issue with GW2. Why I play it? Just because of the combat that's it, playing this game for rewards is just bad even tho it is a MMO, playing the game to waist some time on PVP = Good choice.  I just hoped PVE would change some day for the beter but I don't see it happening and my opinion does not matter as your opinion or everybody's else because Anet has build the game a certain way. It is just frustrating to see why Anet is not changing direction to lift this game up out of this cycle that they are stuck in for a decay.  Atm I hope Ashes of Creation could give us a GW2 living world with real end game and a real reward system and I will be happy playing that game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5