Uh, gemstore question

What exactly does Runecrafter's Salvage-o-Matic do?

Because I just salvaged some scepter with it and it did not give me the superior sigil of force. It gave me ONE ecto. I bought this thing years ago thinking it would be something like the Black Lion Salvage kits but permanent, and I've maybe used it.... 3 times because it's somehow more consistently worse than both of my copper and silver salvage kits. 

Can I just get like.. a 5 year old refund on this one specific item? LOL

*sigh*

This has been a problem since they changed the way salvage kits worked (for the worse, I might add).

"Salvage" now means "break down into components"

"Recover" means, "remove and keep the sigil/rune"

Only a Black Lion Kit or an Upgrade extractor will function as you expected, returning the sigil/rune to you.

Ps. It's worse, because sigils/runes used to cheap and easy to get, but now crafting them is insanely expensive, so most of the ones you see for sale are put there by people who lucked into getting an Endless Upgrade Extractor from a Black Lion Chest. This was done, of course, because it makes more money for NCSoft.

Edited by Tatwi.3562
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tatwi.3562 said:

Ps. It's worse, because sigils/runes used to cheap and easy to get, but now crafting them is insanely expensive, so most of the ones you see for sale are put there by people who lucked into getting an Endless Upgrade Extractor from a Black Lion Chest. This was done, of course, because it makes more money for NCSoft.

hmm personally i have more black lion kits than i can use (7/8+ stacks)

i use them to extract runes/sigils worth some money and sell that separately (and get ecto for the salvage). not much in terms of profit but it slows the kits building up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A runecrafter's salvage kit is guaranteed to salvage the rune or sigil on an item into materials used to craft more of them, whereas other salvage kits only have a chance of doing that (from 5% - 80%). It's useless on items which don't have an upgrade slotted and not a good choice for more valuable upgrades where you're better off using a black lion kit to recover it intact.

I've been told it's best used on green items which almost always have upgrades but ones that aren't worth much themselves so it's better to salvage them for materials than sell them directly.

6 hours ago, Tatwi.3562 said:

I take it you don't remember the endless forum topics from before this change asking for a way to salvage runes and sigils or simply mass delete them because players were sick of salvaging a bunch of items and ending up with a bag full of near-worthless upgrades instead.

I think over time the prices will balance out but there was such a massive backlog of upgrades no one actually wanted in the game that it's going to take a long time for that to happen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tatwi.3562 said:

most of the ones you see for sale are put there by people who lucked into getting an Endless Upgrade Extractor from a Black Lion Chest.

I highly doubt that theory. Probably the majority of them comes from folks salvaging exotics with black lion salvage kits who need ascended crafting materials or want to get rid of all those worthless level 75-79 ones they get from the login chests each month. Most salvageable exotics are pretty much only sold slightly above ecto + sigil/rune value. Therefore extracting sigils/runes separately is no real moneymaker even if you own an endless extractor.

9 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

it's somehow more consistently worse than both of my copper and silver salvage kits. 

Can I just get like.. a 5 year old refund on this one specific item? LOL

Sadly the only permanent salvage kit that is worth buying with gems is the Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic assuming that you don't have capped your luck from essences already or you are getting a lot of direct item drops instead unidentified gear tokens or you just want the convenience regardless of price. 

If you are capped on luck, you can pretty much just sell the unidentified gear tokens and save your time.

Personally I only use the copper-fed one on white/blue/green items and still drown in sigil/rune crafting mats. Mystic Salvage Kits beat the Silver-Fed and Runcrafter's Salvage-o-Matics by a mile on cost and are easy enough to get without running out of them when used on rare (yellow) gear only. And as mentioned before exotics are almost always better salvaged with Black Lion Salvage Kits. The only exception I make are exotic rings/neck pieces with Berserker's stats for my army of alts.

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think over time the prices will balance out but there was such a massive backlog of upgrades no one actually wanted in the game that it's going to take a long time for that to happen.

Prices are pretty much balanced out now with the exception of a few very rare to get or hard to craft sigils/runes. GW2's crafting economy was and still is quite poorly balanced in economic terms since its launch. Unless the current job opening for a system designer with focus on in-game economics attracts a genius who finds a way of re-balancing the game economy without completely shaking it up, it will most likely stay in a state where crafting anything but account-bound items is mostly worthless.

Edited by TheWaternymphHC.1847

Oh wow. That's confusing... But thanks for the clarification. I really don't know why I have so many salvage kits then because it seems like they don't really have that much value beyond the copper version for convenience. 

I have a TON of black lion kits because I never use them or know what to use them on. Knowing that I need to use those in instances like this where I want the full upgrade is good to know. 

On 3/23/2022 at 12:06 AM, Peterson.5172 said:

hmm personally i have more black lion kits than i can use (7/8+ stacks)

i use them to extract runes/sigils worth some money and sell that separately (and get ecto for the salvage). not much in terms of profit but it slows the kits building up

Did you mean to say you have 7 or 8 Black Lion Salvage Kits?  Because Black Lion Salvage Kits don't stack.  I have many (~15) Black Lion Salvage Kits, as well.