Saltwater Fisher - Anet plz fix this

It seems obvious that achievements like saltwater and world class were designed to be mostly completed along the way as you do all the zone specific fishing achievements. That's why none of the fish for both saltwater and world class have any preferred bait. The problem is the catch probability on some of these fish especially in saltwater is incredibly low. I just finished all the zones so im 27/30 for achievements for fishing yet I wasn't even able to complete Saltwater fisher let alone avid saltwater fisher. I know people who are spending 10 to 20 hours trying to complete Saltwater after completing all the other fishing achievements and still not catching one saltwater fish they need. I feel confident that Anet wanted these fishing achievement to be somewhat time consuming but not to this degree especially when it's just one specific achievement out of all them causing the issue.

I feel like an easy fix would be two things. First assign a preferred bait to the saltwater fish. The second thing is to balance the catch rates a bit. We don't need to catch the same green fish over and over and over again. If you bumped up the saltwater and world class fish catch rate a little and lowered the catch rate on some of the green and yellow fish that would be a huge improvement. All the other fishing achievements especially the zone specific ones feel well designed. They take about an hour or so to complete and that's not that bad. I feel very strongly they did not intend all those achievements to take an hour or so and then out of no where have the saltwater fisher achievement take 10, 20, or 30 times more time than that. Hopefully Anet looks into this and makes some changes soon.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, LuRkEr.9462 said:

I suspect their intent is for this to be a grind.

7 hours ago, morpheus.6489 said:

I feel very strongly they did not intend all those achievements to take an hour or so and then out of no where have the saltwater fisher achievement take 10, 20, or 30 times more time than that.

No way did they intend this one specific fishing achievement take that much more time than compared to all the others.

38 minutes ago, Lottie.5370 said:

Yupp, still have yet to finish World Class OR Saltwater, but near enough done with everything else. Other collections were a lot of fun, this one? not so much.

World class you can finish in an hour in Kessex. (Though while saltwater fishing you will probably finish it anyway)

9 minutes ago, Lottie.5370 said:

Not true at all?

You can actually catch the world class fish in the polluted fishing nodes, I used it to catch a few I was missing last night.
But to echo the above... I haven't even finished the first version of the salt water fish. Dang you leafy sea dragon. That, and it's avid version are the only two I'm missing for the fishing achievement.

Would be nice if there was a concrete way to get them, even if it's a mixed node like the world fish.

Edited by Skoll.6754

1 hour ago, LuRkEr.9462 said:

World class you can finish in an hour in Kessex. (Though while saltwater fishing you will probably finish it anyway)

I finished all the achievements except for the 2 saltwaters and a few fish from world class and so that is very not true. I still have 3 fish left from the FIRST saltwater let alone avid. I have several friends who are in the same boat. 

21 minutes ago, Skoll.6754 said:

You can actually catch the world class fish in the polluted fishing nodes, I used it to catch a few I was missing last night.
But to echo the above... I haven't even finished the first version of the salt water fish. Dang you leafy sea dragon. That, and it's avid version are the only two I'm missing for the fishing achievement.

Would be nice if there was a concrete way to get them, even if it's a mixed node like the world fish.

I don't think you understand, they can drop from any hole, it's not just "go to Kessex and you get them all" it's that you got lucky and got some there.

3 hours ago, Skoll.6754 said:

I'm well aware of that, but even the wiki lists it as it being only the world fish + trash:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Polluted_Lake_Fish

Yes, that is true, I've fished about 500 fish from there today. The drop rate is still extremely low, and doesn't seem that different to drop rates from any other hole other than the other drops you get are worthless. It's entirely possible that I've just been really unlucky - I've only gone from 12/14 to 13/14 in 3h.

I don't think people understand that world class is easily done by fishing polluted holes in Kessex. Its probably not ideal to target fishing world class though as while you spam thousands of casts for saltwater fish in Ember Bay you will finish world class multiple times over more than likely.

Farming saltwater fish is very boring though in Ember Bay. I don't mind it cause its a grind and will make the title that much rarer though. Not everything needs handed out to people. 

I'm 28/30 with both saltwaters left (13/14 on the first one after ~10 hours of fishing specifically for them) Its going to take time for sure. I figure I have another ~20 hours of mindless fishing left lol

I've been at 28/30 with no saltwater completions. I've been on 13/14  for saltwater for days. I'm missing the aurelian herring. It is one of the 4 exotic fishes in the collection.  For the other 3 exotic fish in the collection, I've caught 1 horseshoe crab, 4 sea robins and 4 red gurnards.

The saltwater collection yields 9 achievement points, same as the other collections containing 14 fish (the collections with 21 fish give 15 achievement points). I'm assuming that the saltwater collection being so much harder is not intended. I hope arenanet increase the saltwater catch rate as fishing is rapidly becoming unfun - not many people are going to stick it out to finish it as it stands. Personally, I enjoyed the fishing all the way up to hitting the saltwater wall.

I honestly think that it is too easy for that title and they should make it harder :P If you want everything for free, there won't be fun in that - you just won't get one achiev, no big deal. 
I feel like it drops every 50 fish, so you need around 700 fish to catch one particular saltwater fish (for collection between 2000 and 4000) - That's not that big number and I'm making gold from fishing in meantime. It is waaay faster than many wvw, pvp and fractal titles.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I've been on 13/14 avid saltwater fisher since monday. Already breached double digit hours wednesdays for last one so far.
Every other fish i don't need drops, except for Rockfish. To put it in perspective, so far 13 horseshoe crabs. 
Slowly avid world fish is getting his towards a 3rd completion. (Yes, the avid version!)

This is more then just having to revisit a dusk / dawn fish a few times.

Should they make it harder? I already had 1000's of lures spend on that last one fish that wouldn't drop so far. Maybe i am unlucky, but still.

I also find it hard to recommend this collection to friends for the obvious reasons. 

The collections are fine, except for that saltwater wall. They aren't rollover collections.

I'm stubborn so i will keep going for that last fish, but i had better times in GW2. But it's kinda hard to stop when you are at 29/30 and 13/14 on the last one. But fishing feels like entering zombiemode or risenmode when going for the same fish for days. 

I am at 22 hours now working on the first salt water. Started at 11/14 after finishing all avid achievements, now at 13/14 (for the last 15 hours of it) I am hoping I get the last one soon so I can start avid saltwater.

I can't say I want them to make it any easier, rare titles are good chase rewards in games. I know it will be a struggle, but netflix has new shows for me to watch while I fish.  

I'm starting to lose my mind over the saltwater wall myself. I've been sitting with one fish to go for over a week now... I don't think abysmally low rng qualifies as 'hard' when it's literally only down to chance, but it certainly qualifies as absurdly frustrating. Sitting here with most map's main and avid collection done (sans shiverpeaks, that hecking remora evades me every time), and I haven't even completed my first round of saltwater fisher yet.

Also, why no avid oceanic trash/treasure collectors? May as well have given us those too for the added grind. :V

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Caitmonster.9036 said:

I'm starting to lose my mind over the saltwater wall myself. I've been sitting with one fish to go for over a week now... I don't think abysmally low rng qualifies as 'hard' when it's literally only down to chance, but it certainly qualifies as absurdly frustrating. Sitting here with most map's main and avid collection done (sans shiverpeaks, that hecking remora evades me every time), and I haven't even completed my first round of saltwater fisher yet.

Also, why no avid oceanic trash/treasure collectors? May as well have given us those too for the added grind. :V

Yeah that's the painful part. The ones that aren't nearly as bad as Saltwater don't require you to do a second time which is just odd.

I only need one darn seahorse, kitten it. I've spent almost 40 hours on the avid saltwater thus far, from start to (nearly) finish.

I wonder if this is actually by design, considering how fishing power will actively improve your odds of catching legendary fish but also actively harms your odds of catching exotics.

I don't mind the drop rate, my only complaint is that you can't single out any of the fish. It wouldn't trivialize the achievement, as it would still on average take somewhere between 14-28 hours to complete.

edit: I caught the little guy almost 8 hours later. Sheesh.

Edited by Victor.2813