Please do not wait 3 months to fix the Catalyst

It currently lacks:

- Identity outside of the Hammer

- Damage

- Usability (Hammer)

- Sustainability and Survivability, both against condition damage and strike damage

- Innovative and fun traits and utilities

- Anti-break bar

- Aegis, AoE reflect and the other vital utility brought up other professions

These cannot be covered by minor number tweaks, but please do not hold off until the end of June.

Edited by Avatara.1042
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Here are some ideas to make Hammer suck less, and to not have to rely on those horrendous button 3 skills so much (which I am sure you are changing):

Fire 1 needs some form of AoE or pierce

Fire 2 needs more burn

Fire 4 should cleanse per target burning

Fire 5 needs more range

Air 1 needs damage and AoE

Air 4 needs to not kill the user

Air 5 needs to be faster

Earth 1 needs bleed and slightly more range/AoE

Earth 2 needs more condition damage

Earth 5 needs more range and should probably be a 600 range leap

Water 1 needs slightly more range and chill on hit

Water 2 needs more damage, a proper animation, and a big final hit

Water 4 needs to heal without having to hit its target

Edited by Avatara.1042
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If they had to do significative change it would take months, you wouldn't have everything ready for the end of this month at all.

You should probably lower your expectation by a lot. The catalyst have just been released and the devs were visibly fine with it after the 2 beta it has gone through so, realistically, we shouldn't expect them to give it anything like an identity or new traits. At best we should expect numbers tweaks and tooltip fix (There is always tooltips to fix... There is even a thief trait, deadly aim, replacing ankle shot since 2020 and have still an 8s ICD listed yet no longer have the cripple proc associated to this ICD)

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

If they had to do significative change it would take months, you wouldn't have everything ready for the end of this month at all.

They already had 6 months, most of the stuff changed from first to second beta was small, like the bonus on augments, no cast time for this kitten sphere, the elite skill, some more finishers on hammer and so on... Most of the coneptual, thematical and gameplay feedback (mostly what OP wrote down) was already given after the first beta but couldn't be done for the second beta. Fine. Then the second beta was done and we gave nearly the same exact feedback (mostly what OP wrote down) and they did nothing. They promised "major and signigicant changes" and they didn't deliver, Catalyst at release was the same as Catalyst in the second beta (minus some quickness duration and some boon trait that nobody cares for). It has over 40 pages of feedback, some elaborate posts with some very good ideas. If the Catalyst we have now is the Catalyst Arenanet wants, then I have some serious concerns about their level of creativity and ability to design e-specs at all. Am I bitter that Catalyst is a horrible designed spec? No, people make mistakes. I am pissed that they don't admit it, lied to us and that the Catalyst right now is the same we had 3 months ago but worse, way worse. 

Edited by gooddrakkarboi.4870
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

Anet confirmed changes for next week. Calm down

I keep that same hope for 5 years. They've annouced the future of guild wars 2... All I could read was:

* Nerf of elementalist in general every 3 months.
* Another role destruction for elementalists in 28th June.

Anet was once (to me) a exemplar company who cared with players opinion, not just profit. Nowadays, after they neglect so much and never answer anyone of us (elementalist's players), I just see as an ordinary company wich cares with numbers. I wouldn't like to feel that.

I understand EoD was a real challenge and I apreciate they effort. I really do. Thank you, all developers! But that doesn't explain before EoD, before all world obstacles; after YEARS they've removed aegis spam for guardians... I think Anet should face elementalist as an important piece of the game, not as audience.

Its possible that the real issue be things like heal/quicknes/might/ALotOfBoonsExceptAlacrity in one role, not elementalist by himslef? I'm not an expert, but I think so. That was the purpose of gw2 combat at the begnning. I do not say that as a final resolution, but I would like Anet tried that thinking or, if they've tried already, show to us; they should talk to us more.

But I sill hopefull. Maybe they fix (its a fix, not a balance) catalyst. Its a big maybe.

Edited by Yer.8096

9 hours ago, Yer.8096 said:

I keep that same hope for 5 years. They've annouced the future of guild wars 2... All I could read was:

* Nerf of elementalist in general every 3 months.
* Another role destruction for elementalists in 28th June.

Anet was once (to me) a exemplar company who cared with players opinion, not just profit. Nowadays, after they neglect so much and never answer anyone of us (elementalist's players), I just see as an ordinary company wich cares with numbers. I wouldn't like to feel that.

I understand EoD was a real challenge and I apreciate they effort. I really do. Thank you, all developers! But that doesn't explain before EoD, before all world obstacles; after YEARS they've removed aegis spam for guardians... I think Anet should face elementalist as an important piece of the game, not as audience.

Its possible that the real issue be things like heal/quicknes/might/ALotOfBoonsExceptAlacrity in one role, not elementalist by himslef? I'm not an expert, but I think so. That was the purpose of gw2 combat at the begnning. I do not say that as a final resolution, but I would like Anet tried that thinking or, if they've tried already, show to us; they should talk to us more.

But I sill hopefull. Maybe they fix (its a fix, not a balance) catalyst. Its a big maybe.

I thought the stuff where they talked about going through the old, outdated weapons and overhauling them sounded like just what we've been asking for.  Who knows?  Maybe staff will be the first one!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I thought the stuff where they talked about going through the old, outdated weapons and overhauling them sounded like just what we've been asking for.  Who knows?  Maybe staff will be the first one!

Yes, I completely agree. My point is elementalist isn't a colapsed profession by himself, he is overhelmed by multi-role professions. Almost ten years to elementalist have a boon launched in 2012 (quickness). That is really disapointed; if you sum that with scepter, staff, warhorn... All that chess board needs to be faced. Staff needs to be revised like catalyst, because they failed to giving an efficienty long range weapon in EoD, so we still need one; maybe that traditional mage can be positioned here. But I think the issue when thinking in balance is they do a little balance on elementalist and huge balance to others professions. They don't see elementalist as a real piece of that chess board... See last Catalyst nerf: too dps for a support/dps role; they didnt focused on support build, they just nerfed ALL catalyst, entirely. It seems elementalists are treated like coins: heads or tails; nothing more.

Again, I'm not an expert on these aspects, but maybe little balance between major adjustments with one single profession at time could be a good way to see that chain effect. When you change more than one piece you change all scenario, and that can be useful to a manage view, but isn't good for who is - in fact - using it. So, small changes on ALL professions, one at time, until a major balance patch with scenario view. I think that can be a good approach.

I hope my poor english can be understood.

15 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

We know it won't, actually ever lol