Will we be forced to migrate to Steam when the steam release happens?

Considering that Anet described Steam as additional "platform" we might even get a mostly separated game with different in-game economy, different Trading Post and different gem store price-structure.

Anet knows pretty well that their DAUs and probably even their MAUs will tank, if they force us on Steam which would effectively kill off multi-accounting for many players.

• Like 1
  • Confused 11

My understanding is that Steam takes a cut of all transactions made on the platform.  So really, Anet would prefer players not use Steam, as they would get more of the money.

The reason to release on Steam is greater exposure.

This is one of the reason that Anet won't let people who currently have accounts move to Steam.  Those people are already aware of the game, and them moving to Steam would mean Anet makes less money off the players for anything they buy in the future.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

They actually said the opposite: that we won't even have the option to move our current accounts to Steam and it will only be for creating new ones.

Which is fine with me, I only use Steam if a game isn't available any other way.

I hope that's not the case :*( I enjoy having all my games on steam.

• Confused 2

if the past and other games is any consolation, i have a LOTRO (MMORPG) account, and when it went onto steam, i was not forced to download the game from steam. i can and still use the client straight from their website. 

However, IF they allow you to use the steam version with an existing account, i would recommend deleting the other install FIRST (to avoid weird errors you may  get)

Edited by Forgotten Legend.9281
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

if the past and other games is any consolation, i have a LOTRO (MMORPG) account, and when it went onto steam, i was not forced to download the game from steam. i can and still use the client straight from their website. 

However, IF they allow you to use the steam version with an existing account, i would recommend deleting the other install FIRST (to avoid weird errors you may  get)

It was the same with Elder Scrolls Online. Anyone who had the game already could carry on using the normal launcher and only people who bought it through Steam had to log in that way.

I think for that game there is/was a way to move an account to Steam if you wanted to, but as I've never wanted to do it I've never looked at the process in any detail.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

That won’t happen. 

You forgot to quote the most important part of my post.

18 hours ago, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

and different gem store price-structure.

I really hope that Anet doesn't split the playerbase, but I can see them doing it to accommodate Valve. They won't be to pleased if Anet tries to keep the revenue from gem sales mostly for themselves or if they have to compete with Amazon for gem code sales.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

You forgot to quote the most important part of my post.

I really hope that Anet doesn't split the playerbase, but I can see them doing it to accommodate Valve. They won't be to pleased if Anet tries to keep the revenue from gem sales mostly for themselves or if they have to compete with Amazon for gem code sales.

I saw those as two separate things and I didn’t disagree about the possibility, however remote, of gem store prices being different. 

FF14 is on steam and everyone plays together. 

Edited by mythical.6315

10 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

I saw those as two separate things and I didn’t disagree about the possibility, however remote, of gem store prices being different. 

FF14 is on steam and everyone plays together. 

I think that keeping people on the same TP with a different gem store price-structure is a recipe for disaster. People could either feel cheated or start gaming the system.

Anet had the technology to have "virtual" accounts during their beta events for EoD. My educated guess is that we could play together, but still have to different and separated economies. Although some things like shared guild banks and mail would probably be very limited to use between regular and Steam accounts.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

I think that keeping people on the same TP with a different gem store price-structure is a recipe for disaster. People could either feel cheated or start gaming the system.

Anet had the technology to have "virtual" accounts during their beta events for EoD. My educated guess is that we could play together, but still have to different and separated economies. Although some things like shared guild banks and mail would probably be very limited to use between regular and Steam accounts.

TP and the gem store are different. 

• Like 2

They are related once you can convert gems to gold and vice versa. 

So should NPC prices be separate too?  The TP is for players to sell and buy items between each other. It is not impacted by the gem store. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 2

Of course it's impacted by the gem store. Just take a look at the gold<->gem conversion rate 30 minutes before new sales are up and 30 minutes after. Especially the Sunday sales during this march event had sometimes price jumps for 25% in gem cost while at the same time the prices for Mystic coins and T3/T4/T6 fine crafting mats (bought via laurels) dropped noticeably and often at a similar rate.

There is always the possibility that Anet could use the Steam version's economy to test changes for the whole in-game economy via different drop rates etc.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Of course it's impacted by the gem store. Just take a look at the gold<->gem conversion rate 30 minutes before new sales are up and 30 minutes after. Especially the Sunday sales during this march event had sometimes price jumps for 25% in gem cost while at the same time the prices for Mystic coins and T3/T4/T6 fine crafting mats (bought via laurels) dropped noticeably and often at a similar rate.

There is always the possibility that Anet could use the Steam version's economy to test changes for the whole in-game economy via different drop rates etc.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trading_Post

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gem_Store

You're forcing a cause and effect when there isn't any correlation.  Mystic coins prices dropped when players found out that they didn't need an entire stack for the new legendary gifts and that we only need 38 mystic clovers instead of 77.  The fine craft materials dropped due to needing only half of the materials as the previous legendary set.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Thanks 2

I'll be very surprised if they seperate Steam players out from everyone else, either in terms of the servers they can play on or the TP and gem store. Yes Valve will take a cut of the profits from selling gems to people with Steam accounts, but so do all the retailers who sell gem cards and Anet don't seperate out players who use those from those who buy directly through the game, or convert gems.

The only time they've made completely seperate servers is for the Chinese release, and that's because it was required to release the game in China at all.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 3