Anets balance philosophy un a nutshell

Quick apology.

20 pies, 10 most commonly favored  flavors all dressed up nice from bakery and 10 least favorite flavors not dressed up at all looking bland.

How would anets balancing philosophy handle the task of ensuring all 20 pies sell?

Well fixing or remaking more favorable pies is a lot of work so let's mess up the dressings on the good pies and make them less appealing so their on par with the other 10 as to entice more people to chose the less favorable pies, this way more get eaten. Then wonder why after time no one wants any of the pies.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

49 minutes ago, Nightgunner.2896 said:

I'm sorry, is this metaphor attempting to say that nobody plays professions in Guild Wars 2?

Anet looks at traitlines most used traits when doing balancing and regardless of whether they are overperforming or not nerf those traitlines to make the other unused traits in the line look more viable, they think this builds more diversity but in the end just wrecks the traitline as a whole and some traitlines now go unused because of this mentality of which actually severely reduces not only diversity but the enjoyment of the class. If u have a traitline with 3 traits in each tree almost always chosen not because they are op but because the other options are garbage, nerfing the viable traits to the level of the garbage tiers leaves u with.........

Look at the history of changes to classes traitlines if u need proof of this flawed mentality, they are too numerous for me to list.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

If I were the seller...

Let's say the pie price is 10$ (yeah expensive). I'd first raise the price to 15$. Then create bundle with 1 common flavor and 1 bland flavor advertised at "mysterious flavor" that I'd sell 20$. Using this strategy, people would be likely to buy the bundle over the unit and i'd manage to sell the pies (maybe).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

If I were the seller...

Let's say the pie price is 10$ (yeah expensive). I'd first raise the price to 15$. Then create bundle with 1 common flavor and 1 bland flavor advertised at "mysterious flavor" that I'd sell 20$. Using this strategy, people would be likely to buy the bundle over the unit and i'd manage to sell the pies (maybe).

Quite possibly the best reply I have seen in a long tome lol.

"We have a documented instance of our iron-fortified pies not being appealing, but our patented fruit-punch pies seem to be getting bought at an alarming rate. To make the fortified pies sell more, let's reduce our stock of the fruit-punch pies and also make more of the fortified pies."

"also, fire that guy that keeps moving a couple of the fortified pies between aisles. He's disrupting the order of the store by not letting them rest."

"Why do we have so many fortified pies?"
"Sales for the fortified pies have not increased. Let's ship more flavors of the fortified pies and if people don't like them, reduce the availability of our original flavors."
"...Where are all these fortified pies coming from?"

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

"We have a documented instance of our iron-fortified pies not being appealing, but our patented fruit-punch pies seem to be getting bought at an alarming rate. To make the fortified pies sell more, let's reduce our stock of the fruit-punch pies and also make more of the fortified pies."

"also, fire that guy that keeps moving a couple of the fortified pies between aisles. He's disrupting the order of the store by not letting them rest."

"Why do we have so many fortified pies?"
"Sales for the fortified pies have not increased. Let's ship more flavors of the fortified pies and if people don't like them, reduce the availability of our original flavors."
"...Where are all these fortified pies coming from?"

This right here would be another solid analysis of anets balancing philosophy, well done lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

If I were the seller...

I like this idea. But I think 2 pies is too much for one person! An alternative is that you could sell whole pies of the common flavor at $15, but slices of the bland pie at $5, assuming these are smallish pies and are divided into 4 pieces each. This way, the popular whole pies still sell, but perhaps people coming in who previously didnt buy a pie due to being overwhelmed by the prospect of buying a whole pie, but would buy just a slice. More market research would be needed to make a final decision though. 

1 hour ago, oscuro.9720 said:

I like this idea. But I think 2 pies is too much for one person! An alternative is that you could sell whole pies of the common flavor at $15, but slices of the bland pie at $5, assuming these are smallish pies and are divided into 4 pieces each. This way, the popular whole pies still sell, but perhaps people coming in who previously didnt buy a pie due to being overwhelmed by the prospect of buying a whole pie, but would buy just a slice. More market research would be needed to make a final decision though. 

Nope, you need to limit the number of customer in order to sell all the pies. What you do potentially increase the customer base but at the same time increase the risk that the word spread that there are bland pie amongst the tasty one. It's better to get rid of the hot potato faster. The stock is 20 pie if you limit things at 10 semi satisfied customer instead of 40 unsatisfied customers out of 80 that your solution suggest, you have high probability of finishing your stock (obviously your solution double potential gain but mine wasn't aiming for a gain, I was just aiming to sell all the pies).

6 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Quick apology.

20 pies, 10 most commonly favored  flavors all dressed up nice from bakery and 10 least favorite flavors not dressed up at all looking bland.

How would anets balancing philosophy handle the task of ensuring all 20 pies sell?

Well fixing or remaking more favorable pies is a lot of work so let's mess up the dressings on the good pies and make them less appealing so their on par with the other 10 as to entice more people to chose the less favorable pies, this way more get eaten. Then wonder why after time no one wants any of the pies.

unironically, this is common in most industries, and not just Arenanet.

Companies get too big for their own good, they reduce and dilute the quality of their products to optimize profit margins, which leads to the eventual death of that company when a competitor comes along that actually provides value...only for the cycle to continue again.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Nope, you need to limit the number of customer in order to sell all the pies. What you do potentially increase the customer base but at the same time increase the risk that the word spread that there are bland pie amongst the tasty one. It's better to get rid of the hot potato faster. The stock is 20 pie if you limit things at 10 semi satisfied customer instead of 40 unsatisfied customers out of 80 that your solution suggest, you have high probability of finishing your stock (obviously your solution double potential gain but mine wasn't aiming for a gain, I was just aiming to sell all the pies).

Well it says they are the 10 least favorite flavors, but even the least least favorite pie could arguably be better than no pie. We don’t know the quality of pie in this scenario. Bland was the quality of appearance, and a plain, cut pie looks better than a plain, uncut pie in my opinion. So all that remains is whether the “least favorite” flavors are still desirable relative to no pie, or if they are really bad and it would be better to just not make them and save resources. 

8 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Quick apology.

perfect, that it i was trying to say all time.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416

Nerf everything philosophy + every class can fill everyrole.

What everyone think will happen: With everything being "equal" ppl will use more varietys of builds and skills choices, become "pro player" that like play-piano and bizarre hybrids. We will see warrior dancing like ballerina using a magic wand and doing lots of damage, because "hes so pro, so expert" "omg this game doesn't have roles neither holy trinity" "i can be a smiling bee shoting nuclear missiles".

What really happen: Ppl will stuck with "less worse" options and actually the less worse is everything boonstacking/boonspammer and a few skills that still are good by a few margin.

it's a problem with not seeing entropy, and romanticizing minimalism, not understanding that "less of something" leads to "less of other things". so u really never reach the goal of expanding more options by reducing skill stuff.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Well it says they are the 10 least favorite flavors, but even the least least favorite pie could arguably be better than no pie. We don’t know the quality of pie in this scenario. Bland was the quality of appearance, and a plain, cut pie looks better than a plain, uncut pie in my opinion. So all that remains is whether the “least favorite” flavors are still desirable relative to no pie, or if they are really bad and it would be better to just not make them and save resources. 

5 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Business economics is a little bit simpler. I can't remember who said this...I think it was Elon Musk, but it goes something like the following : 

"Want to create a successful business? Then create something of value."

Nobody wants to eat a cake that tastes like crap, no matter how much it costs...least not in a true free market economy where there are competitors.

If you had the option to eat a pile of poo, or a diner-made burger for the same price...you'd pick the diner burger no matter how cheap the poo is or how expensive the burger is. 

But Dadinr is right on the point that, if you wanted to sell the hot potato, that's how you would do it. Sell your product which no longer has value to unsuspecting customers in confusing packages they don't understand, quick enough before the word gets out that it's worthless, and tastes like crap. If you watched the movie "Margin Call" (based on the 2008 market crash) this is the basic premise of that movie.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 1

Necro to strong? 

Reworks that end in buffs. 

QQ about Warrior on the Forum? 

Beat that dead horse again. 

Ele gets something nice? 

Deleted. 

Firebrand to strong? 

Nerf it by 5% and everything else by 20%.

Revenant gets mentioned? 

Bug fixes. But only that one's that end up as a nerf. 

Ranger? 

Attempt Nr 146 for a viable Wvw Build failed successfully. 

Engi E Spec to strong? 

Just nerf core. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Necro to strong? 

Reworks that end in buffs. 

QQ about Warrior on the Forum? 

Beat that dead horse again. 

Ele gets something nice? 

Deleted. 

Firebrand to strong? 

Nerf it by 5% and everything else by 20%.

Revenant gets mentioned? 

Bug fixes. But only that one's that end up as a nerf. 

Ranger? 

Attempt Nr 146 for a viable Wvw Build failed successfully. 

Engi E Spec to strong? 

Just nerf core. 

Engine was a 'champion' of that effect.

Everything on Engie was nerfed, starting by turrents, because theres no split pvp/pve early and pvpe'rs hate summons, so summons was "forbidden" in this game.

Ppl started to stick to flamethrower(once was the "worse" but become the "less worse" with nerfs in other specs), and some some guys started poping out lots of holo metas(but is a xPac $pec).

Last balance preview they're promising "rework" flamethrower, lmao, nobody was asking for it.

And already have lots of cry rivers asking to nerf the Mech.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2022 at 10:44 AM, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Elon Musk, but it goes something like the following : 

"Want to create a successful business? Then create something of value."

I know this for a fact that Elon Musk did create a lot of value.... to the short sellers of his stock. I got in TSLA early though I don't own one (the vehicle). Pre-covid, the hotel we stayed at had an airport private shuttle service and used the Tesla S. I asked the driver to demonstrate the acceleration and it was incredible. He was hesitant but I slipped him a $100 to park at the exit and let me drive for a few minutes. The torque was unreal, almost impossible for an internal combustion engine to achieve. 

My husband was scared to death so I had to stop. 

Im still a Porsche 911 Turbo S enthusiast and believe they are the best cars in the world. I got the rare manual transmission and always get offers from men to buy. I politely decline. Wish I also bought the Turbo 993 model back then when they were cheaper. Now they cost more than a new Porsche. 

You mentioned Elon Musk. I admire his drive, eloquence, business acumen, charm (Wall St fan bois have defended and justified the value of his stock) and ability to get the US government to subsidize his enterprise. Super human indeed. 

Edited by Pimsley.3681
  • Like 3

On 3/27/2022 at 1:03 AM, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

I’m not a car enthusiast but my dad loves the Porsche 911 and it reminds me of him. He was able to buy one for $500 bucks in crappy condition and he works on it in his spare time.

Hi Justice! $500 is a steal. Do you know what model Porsche? I suggest that  your dad join rennlist.com, it's a forum for Porsche enthusiasts and he can get the spare parts he needs. I'm a manual 911 Turbo fanatic and out of all my female friends, I'm literally the only one who knows how to drive "stick". With the advent of AI, learning manual is irrelevant but still kinda cool to redline on 2nd and 3rd gear. 

Wishing your dad the best and hope you're enjoying the update.