Mech Engineer Weapon Swap

Jalad Lantana.3027

The reason given for Engineers not being able to swap weapons in combat is because of tool belts.

Since choosing the Mech specialization eliminates the option to use tool belts, in combat weapon swap should be available to Engineers in that specialization.

Edited by Jalad Lantana.3027
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

You are confusing Toolbelt with Kits.
Toolbelt is the F1-F5 skills that are unavailable when playing Mechanist.
Kits - the reason for the lack of weapon swap - are utility skills that are still available when playing Mechanist.

I see where OP is coming from. Too many utility skills on engineer are reliant of their toolbelt counter part and without it the engineer is left with a very limited selection of utility skills to choose from. I myself play reside in the WvW game mode and within that all I do is roam whenever I am in the game. Mechanist has just created this weird class that feels so shackling  into choosing certain builds and nearly impossible to generate creative builds as the traits don't really allow for the engi to really do anything. It just feels that the problems this class creates outweighs the enjoyment of it. 

Pretty much I believe that the mechanist does not bring enough to the table outside of raw damage to substitute for the utility of the toolbelt. We basically loose huge build potential this way and gain honestly nothing in return

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alec B.8905 said:

I see where OP is coming from. Too many utility skills on engineer are reliant of their toolbelt counter part and without it the engineer is left with a very limited selection of utility skills to choose from. I myself play reside in the WvW game mode and within that all I do is roam whenever I am in the game. Mechanist has just created this weird class that feels so shackling  into choosing certain builds and nearly impossible to generate creative builds as the traits don't really allow for the engi to really do anything. It just feels that the problems this class creates outweighs the enjoyment of it. 

Pretty much I believe that the mechanist does not bring enough to the table outside of raw damage to substitute for the utility of the toolbelt. We basically loose huge build potential this way and gain honestly nothing in return

would you rather have to play piano with F1 to F12 if we had both at once?

What trade-off means: You get something, you lose something else.
What GW2 players think trade-off means: I get more!

The Mech makes the Mechanist so much more powerful that it justifies the removal of the entire toolbelt skills. Same as with Mirage/Vinicator and the dodge-ability. The point of the trade-off mechanic is to replace an advantage with another.

Elementalist and Engineer do not have weaponswap, because we can swap kits/attunements. Bladesworn got its weaponswap removed, thanks to the Gunsaber + Dragontrigger. If the trade-off said, block the attunement/kit swapping, enabling weaponswap can make sense. But the remmoval of the toolbelt-skills does not justify having a real weapon-swap + kits. 

Regarding underwater-combat, there is a blank spot. Fortunately EoD does not have as much underwater-content as we have been expecting. But we have that one underwater-fractal and a couple of other situations where we need a functional spec underwater. The mech-situation underwater is a joke. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Alec B.8905 said:

This sums up the entire reason I don't like Mechanist, that said there are lots of people who do like it. I wish they would give us back limited access to the toolbelt.

I think at the very least the mechanist should get the toolbelt skill for their healing skill... cus medkit is useless without it... and having just 1 toolbelt skill would be fine as there would still be enough F keys to have it there... just move the summon/dismiss mech to F5 and add a heal toolbelt skill to F1.