Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Heal/Quickness build for Catalyst viable?


Recommended Posts

Has anyone tried a build for heal/quickness for Catalyst? With how competitive healing slots are in raids right now, I think Tempest simply cannot compete. Healers also providing quickness is amazing for raid compositions. So how viable is heal/quickness Catalyst?

I had a build like this in mind:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGwAYtjlZwsYYME2Lm2XXxfA-zRJYqRNfZUdKkeF47A-e

Though I am not sure about some things. Is staff better or Scepter/dagger and what utilities to use. Specifically 3rd utility slot was hard to pick, I ended up picking a blast for triggering combos. Is there a better choice here?

Edited by Nezekan.2671
Link to post
Share on other sites

Healing+ quickness. No it's bad.
Core has few healing utility skills (signet of water, the elemental elite ... and staff #1 #3, dagger #2 #4 #5 ...) and Catalyst has none.
You need Air to bring quickness, but if you don't camp water  then staff is bad for the purpose.  And even water staff is bad for healing. Dagger/dagger could be better.
You share almost no boon but quickness, and no utility etc. Or you need good rotation, which also mean you need to choose between panic heal or loop protection, quickness ...

 

Tempest is just better for healing  (heals on auras, overload, warhorn) and protection (magnetic aura, frost aura, vigor, regen, weakness etc) + . And for quickness, well ... every other specs bring more tools, more boons and more DPS than catalyst (FB for example).
The quickness build was *okai because, inside big hitbox, you dealt huge damage + perma quickness with few diviner pieces in your equipment; now you have no damage and no quickness uptime.

If at least jade sphere pulsed heals or regen or something, same with hammer #4 to heal allies or double the effect of combo, or AA final attack. If only earth and fire augments could buff allies, empowering auras could be shared...

 

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've joined random people trying that in squads before on the likes of Gorseval and Sabetha. Needless to say it was sort of lackluster, but usable when your group is more or less stacked the entire time. The healing you get is from blasting water so the builds in itself is sort of a roundabout approach whereas tempest heals via the shouts' auras even if you don't run aura traitline. I wouldn't say it has no boons, so long as you swap once in a while you will have might from fire and protection from earth.

The elite you want to run is glyph of elementals since the active skill on water attunement heals. In addition, frost bow also heals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bleikopf.2491 said:

 feel like I should at the very lest link to @LadyKitty.6120's other post in this subreddit:

She also has a video on her Youtube using Heal Catalyst against Deimos: 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

I didn"t know frostbow healed that much (and for energy), that is interesting even if it's still complicated to set up (moving, or someone picking it up long CD and cast ...).

Otherwise it's just a tank with some heals. In the log, Boons generation in group/squad are pretty average (not to say bad), nothing impressive unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:

Healing+ quickness. No it's bad.
Core has few healing utility skills (signet of water, the elemental elite ... and staff #1 #3, dagger #2 #4 #5 ...) and Catalyst has none.
You need Air to bring quickness, but if you don't camp water  then staff is bad for the purpose.  And even water staff is bad for healing. Dagger/dagger could be better.
You share almost no boon but quickness, and no utility etc. Or you need good rotation, which also mean you need to choose between panic heal or loop protection, quickness ...

 

Tempest is just better for healing  (heals on auras, overload, warhorn) and protection (magnetic aura, frost aura, vigor, regen, weakness etc) + . And for quickness, well ... every other specs bring more tools, more boons and more DPS than catalyst (FB for example).
The quickness build was *okai because, inside big hitbox, you dealt huge damage + perma quickness with few diviner pieces in your equipment; now you have no damage and no quickness uptime.

If at least jade sphere pulsed heals or regen or something, same with hammer #4 to heal allies or double the effect of combo, or AA final attack. If only earth and fire augments could buff allies, empowering auras could be shared...

 

I know tempest is better, but since it lost the 10 man stuff, it's very awkward to bring. You are competing with heal mechanist and healbrand, who bring quickness alongside healing. As a 10 man support, it was easy to have a slot for Tempest, now it's just awkward. You just heal and give might to 5 man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:

I didn"t know frostbow healed that much

Well, frostbow AA is staff water AA on steroid... The issue with frostbow is more that the other skills have nothing to do with healing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:

I didn"t know frostbow healed that much (and for energy), that is interesting even if it's still complicated to set up (moving, or someone picking it up long CD and cast ...).

Otherwise it's just a tank with some heals. In the log, Boons generation in group/squad are pretty average (not to say bad), nothing impressive unfortunately.

To note, though, is that tank's boon output is obviously quite bad compared to squad healer at Deimos due to staying up while rest of the squad goes down and as such, looking at boon outputs during bursts tell a better story. Not to mention...that one horribad Air Sphere placement. But anyway, Kitty's tested it at variety of bosses now and it does very good boons and also heals nicely if you don't kitten with the Frost Bows. Though even if you kitten, water staff isn't a super-big heal loss though Quickness might drop for a moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Well, frostbow AA is staff water AA on steroid... The issue with frostbow is more that the other skills have nothing to do with healing.

Frost bow is great with Cata because the multi hit 4 ability charges your jade sphere fast, 1 heals, and most importantly the frost bow offers tons of vulnerability which is a debuff thats often not thought about enough imo

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, if so everything with green numbers and some might is correct.
Warrior with shouts, Soldier's focus, banners can also buff and heal allies. Or weaver which was actually played with condiberserker compo. Heal chrono, now specter, vindicator...

 

I mean, okai it works and players can try it if they will ... but doesn't mean it is worth or we should spare the spec at the bottom.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...