March 29 Game Update Preview

Wow 15 seconds for hammer orbs is a great change, I was expecting 8 seconds. 😀

This along with higher auto-attack DPS should make it more playable for the average or casual players.

It's good to see what many people were saying about hammer orbs being a buff rather than a damage source has been taken into consideration.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

We want every profession and specialization to feel awesome, regardless of the size of your enemy.

With this statement, is there any hope DPS Tempest can get some tweaks in this regard? Power Tempest feels really awful on smaller hitbox enemies, due to the way Lightning Orb functions.

Love to see some Catalyst changes though, this is definitely a good start! If I may make a suggestion though, please give Grand Finale a 1 second internal CD to prevent double tapping it. Double tapping it and losing it early is rather frustrating.

Last suggestion I'll make is please give us energy upon starting an encounter, like how Druid Celestial Avatar functions now. For Quickness Catalyst especially, it feels bad entering combat and not being able to drop the quickness right away, leaving your subgroup without quickness for 2-3 seconds.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

*Happy catalyst noises* maybe it won't be a dead profession anymore! I mean in most gameplay it was pretty difficult to even use and I was getting kicked from strikes just for wanting to play catalyst even though I can still do better than the average player. (lol kicking me but then they die in 2 minutes anyway cuz they can't do mechanics) 

I'm EXTREMELY excited to play catalyst next week. Condition still sucks but at least I can play it again. Over the past decade of playing Gw2 ele has always been my favorite to play. I've played it more than anything else. This is the most excited I have ever been to play elementalist in that whole decade of Gw2. 

Edited by Aetheldrake.6395
Good stuff
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Raidillon.8254 said:

condi with consistent dps throughout the 10s compared to a much more inconsistent amount of dps for power, and power is compensated in no way whatsoever

Inconsistency depends on build and how you manage the cooldowns. If breakbar is about to be broken, prepare to burst. It's not like you miss super-much damage by bursting outside 10% exposed, though.

Also, Power takes 7.7% DPS loss during exposed while condi takes 30% DPS loss during exposed with this change so relatively power is the relative winner here.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

While this addresses many problems, it doesn't address the major one for Catalyst: how it applies boons due to the Jade Sphere nerf.

They rely on wells, which is fine except for two things.

1. They are still fairly small, on par with Chronomancer. However Chronomancer has other ways to generate boons, which makes it less awful. If the wells radius could be larger I think it would feel better. Because 15 seconds after one well is a fairly large chunk of time of being unable to do literally nothing.

2. No energy on start? Like Druid, it would be nice to begin encounters with full energy so boon application can be provided immediately.

Overall good changes IMO, but the two above gripes I think would really cement it.

Also.....other quickness applicators were in no danger. The amount of utility Firebrand and Harbinger provides.....Catalyst simply can't outdo it.

Edited by Seraphis Zurvan.6839
Paragraph spacing to look less awkward.
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Hey Ruby could we please get a preview for untamed changes, that’s the other class that needs really big changes to a lot of things and it still has a lot of bugs like the pet cc does not affect your grandmaster trait. Or could we please at least get some information on what you plan to address even if it’s not in this patch. I would truly appreciate it as untamed being such a let down has been a big sore spot for EoD for me and so many other players!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I'm surprised. These are really good changes! 

I was hoping the orb duration would be increased. Any kind of stun, daze, boss mechanic, ect. would cause you to drop them. I expected a 2 sec increase in duration tops, but 15 seconds will make these much less frustrating to upkeep. 

The damage changes are also welcome. This spec struggles to justify a slot over other quickness sources (Firebrand), and it's much harder to pull off, so dealing more damage is an appropriate trade-off. 

Love seeing these improvements to underperforming aspects of the game. More of this please! 🙂

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 1

Someone enlighten me please, why is the difference in break bar exposure for condi always bigger than power?

If it's because condi takes time to be applied then most break bars happen while the boss has tons of condi.

I it seems Fractals will still be a condi playground.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, AtriustheGod.6785 said:

At the moment, exposed lasts as long as the stun lasts. With this change, is the stun duration from breaking defiance going to increase as well, or will exposed outlast the stun?

I’m going to guess that exposed will outlast the stun. There’s no way Anet would let fractals bosses for example be stunned for 10 seconds, that would sound ridiculous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Moving forward, Exposed causes 10% increased damage from strikes and 20% from conditions over its longer duration of 10 seconds

So you gave us 5s more of doing 20% higher damage than without breakbars. Are you aware that you could phase bosses during regular fight + breakbar but now you probably won't? How is that rewarding?

This change does not affect the Exposed effect on Soo-Won in the final encounter of the Dragon's End map meta-event.

at least call it 'exposed for pugs who can't push buttons
Honestly, pick a side, you're nerfing everything or nothing, nerfing just the content where people do proper dps is not the way to fix the huge rift between people who are able to follow a rotation and those who run in masterwork gear in open world. You could, idk, make people work for their skill so there's no other way for them but improve, but I guess you prefer to nerf to the ground everything you think might make people feel bad about themselves. 

1 hour ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

As other boon support builds that provide excellent uptime on critical boons (such as quickness or alacrity) have less damage output than builds focused purely on damage

Didn't stop you from having cqfb doing 30k on golem and providing perma quickness + aegis and stability on demand

Edited by shejesa.3712
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 15