March 29 Game Update Preview

Just now, Xunlai.3460 said:

Why don't we just change the exposed buff per piece of content instead?

Because they're aware they're shooting themselves in the foot by leaving it as is on soo-won but at the same time they're aware that pugs are usually so bad they need that 100% exposed to complete the event

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, shejesa.3712 said:

Because they're aware they're shooting themselves in the foot by leaving it as is on soo-won but at the same time they're aware that pugs are usually so bad they need that 100% exposed to complete the event

I don't mean Soo-Won in this circumstance, get good open world people.

I mean fractals vs raids/strikes. If its overperforming in one area, but fine in another area, why nerf it overall?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Seraphis Zurvan.6839 said:

Also.....other quickness applicators were in no danger. The amount of utility Firebrand and Harbinger provides.....Catalyst simply can't outdo it.

100% true. This needs more emphasis for the Developers in the back.

Firebrand. And. Harbinger. Were. Never. At. Risk. For. Quickness. Replacement. 

Maybe when Catalyst can provide Aegis, things will be shaken up.

Aegis on Catalyst when?

Edited by Castiel.9048
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Xunlai.3460 said:

I don't mean Soo-Won in this circumstance, get good open world people.

I mean fractals vs raids/strikes. If its overperforming in one area, but fine in another area, why nerf it overall?

I told you. because they're already shooting themselves in the foot by having two unique exposed debuffs. There would be zero consistency at some point

It feels very unsatisfying to not be able to keep up traits like [persisting flames] and [elemental empowerment] because of the lack of fire fields and CC skill on hammer. Hammer has no fire fields at all, so you relied on the sphere for [persisting flames], but with the cooldown increase, it's imposible now, and it feels bad. if hammer had at least one fire field on one of it's skills it would be possible to keep up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I don't normally post to the forums, but I just have to give my feedback. The exposed change is an absolutely horrible change that will make the combat feel boring. You all JUST made a tutorial for new players to break bars and now you're making the effect largely meaningless? You were doing so well. What's the point in being skilled/prepared enough to bring CC and break the boss' bar if the reward is "10% damage". That's a minor trait choice, not a debuff. Do better.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 8

7 minutes ago, Nup.4591 said:

It feels very unsatisfying to not be able to keep up traits like [persisting flames] and [elemental empowerment] because of the lack of fire fields and CC skill on hammer. Hammer has no fire fields at all, so you relied on the sphere for [persisting flames], but with the cooldown increase, it's imposible now, and it feels bad. if hammer had at least one fire field on one of it's skills it would be possible to keep up.

It's actually not *that* hard to keep that up. You don't even *need* max stacks if they keep true to these changes and don't nerf it any more

Just now, Aetheldrake.6395 said:

It's actually not *that* hard to keep that up. You don't even *need* max stacks if they keep true to these changes and don't nerf it any more

Persisting flame stacks last 15 seconds, you get 1 each pulse. with fire sphere lasting 5 seconds and pulsing once per seconds that's 5 stacks max. at a 15 second cooldown. with alac maybe you can keep up a bit more, but you won't get 10 stacks

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, shejesa.3712 said:

I told you. because they're already shooting themselves in the foot by having two unique exposed debuffs. There would be zero consistency at some point

5 man content and 10 man content need differences... this is one of them. 80% damage loss on condi is INTENSE, even if the duration is longer..

• Like 1

For Catalyst hammer 3, adding a small internal cooldown per target instead of reducing the power coefficient seems like a more natural solution to address the same issue. The increased duration on the orbs is probably a good change. The number adjustment of hammer skills would probably disappoint people that wanted more fundamental changes. I guess it is the simplest most effective way of increasing the dps. And well... if it end up behing competitive then the spec will be played for sure. I just don't feel excited for it and I am afraid a lot of people aren't either.

The exposed change looks like an overall nerf to condition damage at face value. As far as I know the idea behind receiving more damage from condi than strike was because strike damage is often more burst oriented and therefor can better capitalize on the small window of opportunity. Admittedly I don't think a lot of player are actively delaying their burst to land it on top of the exposed debuff outside of a very dedicated fraction of the player base so... I don't know, I like that we are speaking about the exposed debuff but I am not too sure about the specific value presented here.

Edited by Guybrush.4762

11 minutes ago, Aetheldrake.6395 said:

the point is, that even if the damage is good without getting max stacks, it would feel very unsatisfying. 
immagine playing virtuoso, but not having enough dagger generation to shatter with 5 daggers. even if the damage is good, it would just feel wrong..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are headed in the right direction but putting resources into this hammer skill 3 gimmick is really unfortunate. You did that to the weaver elite and you see how inefficient that can be. Many ele mains I've talked to just don't like it. I hope the upcoming notes well-round out this spec but if each hammer attunement doesn't have a disable, we don't generate energy while the field is up, we stop the focus on auras,  we have more consistent ways to get elemental empowerment and the elite skill is optimized (for gods sake the harbinger elite gives ALL boons) then the changes are irrelevant. I'm hopeful but we'll see!

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whilyam.9356 said:

I don't normally post to the forums, but I just have to give my feedback. The exposed change is an absolutely horrible change that will make the combat feel boring. You all JUST made a tutorial for new players to break bars and now you're making the effect largely meaningless? You were doing so well. What's the point in being skilled/prepared enough to bring CC and break the boss' bar if the reward is "10% damage". That's a minor trait choice, not a debuff. Do better.

It's how it works in raids and EOD strikes and better emulates how trait interactions work in PVP and WVW (the highest stun bonuses are ~15% on Predator's Onslaught and 10% from sigil of impact). The defiance bar is meant to emulate stability and removing stability does not grant a damage bonus. If all you do is fractals and openworld then yes exposed has a damage bonus. In most raids all is does is make the boss stunned or interrupted just like how it works in PVP or WVW if you CC someone.
i.e. Vale Guardian interrupt = stop the channeling Magic Storm attack ; Sloth interrupt = allows you to damage it again; Soulless Horror interrupt = stop from a wipe ; Samarog interrupt = stop a player from dying ; Saul in Deimos fight interrupted = stops the teleports.
In Aetherblade strike if you don't CC the adds with breakbars they are invulnerable.

For elementalists running Stormsoul it's 10% damage boost to stunned targets anyway and outside of catalyst you would need to slot Raging Storm instead if you don't have fury from firebrand or harbinger.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1