Ranked Arena - Losing More Than Gaining

So after the balance patch has been dropped for the Vindicator and The Engineer Mech I started playing Ranked arena.

Now the placement macthes was horrible, it felt like I was constantly matched against vets and was getting rollered by the enemy team. The matches I did win felt like pure luck and nothing of a rough MMR based match-up. Seeing as i have played quite a few unranked matches I would assume there would have some MMR score that would balance the placement matches. I know the ANet mentioned that the PvP and WvW will get more developer love witch makes me happy. However, If they aren't gonna work on the match making I don't know how fun the PvP Ranked scene will be. Don't get me wrong, I know there are still a few professions that need to be balanced but there is no point in having balanced professions if low ranking players gets matched with high rank player it feels like all their classes are unbalanced.

Now, once I got my rank stuff did get better. It did feel like the match-ups were more fair which was at least a breath of fresh air. The issue now comes in that the points given feels like I am in a deadlock. So I will win a few matches and move close to the next rank and then the matches I lose it drops me back to where I was placed. It got to the point where win matches simply to maintain my placement score. Then when there are close matches that I win, one would think that you would get more points seeing as it was a good match-up and both teams were roughly on the same 'skill' cap but no, I can just just make back what I lost.

Like how can they expect a player to gain a rank when when you are giving scoremarks in such a way that you just constantly hover around your placement rank. Like by no means am I an exceptional PvP player but this score system is just blatently disheartning. Like I just want a system that can better represent my skill and my team's skill better.

• Like 1

There are a lot of variables that can determine a match. May I ask what rank you are? In my experience players stuck in gold are the ones unwilling to multi class and dont look at their comp as a whole. The amount of games i lost simply because my team had 2 support guardians is amazing.

So I my placement rank was silver one. Now Multi class I don't think is the biggest issue. I have been moving between my other toons and playing different variations in those professions. Recently switched my Rev to a Ventari Support build with Saint Vicktor to go big on the full support and the macthes I have played so far have been good.

I am still working on my game sense but have been doing a solid 350k+ on my healing for the team.

16 minutes ago, Galacticsnow.7905 said:

So I my placement rank was silver one. Now Multi class I don't think is the biggest issue. I have been moving between my other toons and playing different variations in those professions. Recently switched my Rev to a Ventari Support build with Saint Vicktor to go big on the full support and the macthes I have played so far have been good.

I am still working on my game sense but have been doing a solid 350k+ on my healing for the team.

I gotcha. When you play and if you duo or not can determine the quality of matches you get. My best advice if you are silver is to continue on your game sense. Silver has a lot of bots and newer players so you may have more success as a dps to carry your team. Winning fights and not dieing is what will give you the most success.

The population is simply too low, and you get matched maybe with gold3 players which are substantially better than silver ones, same as if you are low gold and get matched with plat players, you immediately see the gap difference, people tryhard kite, jump puzzle to escape, instant map awareness if you are about to get 1vs2 on a point.

If you are silver and you are doing a 1vs1, maybe another enemy or 2 come to 3vs1 you, then you insta die or try to leave when it's too late, and that's a big loss for your team.

Now literally every class has big mobility, if you kite too late you are pretty much dead, those things comes with experience and game knowledge.

Of course if your team is all daily pvers and the enemy is plat it's 500-10 game and nothing you can do, but move to the next game.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

There are a lot of variables that can determine a match. May I ask what rank you are? In my experience players stuck in gold are the ones unwilling to multi class and dont look at their comp as a whole. The amount of games i lost simply because my team had 2 support guardians is amazing.

thats nonsense there are plenty of players getting plat 3 with playing only 1 class

to the other topics, after you done with your placements you you still have 2 more games that give you more points, these go game by game down till you come to a 10-12 range.

whats also take influence is the avarage team mmr and your mmr. if your mmr is below the enemy avarage mmr you gain more/loose less and rewerted.

OP this is what I did in the past -

1. I'd get a free core account

2. Got the pvp to level 20 so I can play in ranked

3. Got a friend to Q ranked with me during placements - it's super important to get at least 8 wins out of 10, at least. 

4. Land in Gold 3

5. Win the next 2-3 games 

6. I don't touch Plat, Plat touches me.

7. Leave the account forever coz I did it out of boredom