Why every corner of Tyria has to be an epic battle? (A New Player Perspective)

First and foremost, I'm not exactly new, but I'm returning after 8 years, so it's kinda like I am - specially in terms of expansions, which I've never played.
I've played GW1 and all its expansions and I've followed every step of GW2's development and participated in all beta tests. So yeah, I'm a big fan of the game and ANet.
(Just in case you're wondering, I've quit back then because I decided to stop playing MMOs in general for awhile.)

Now, returning to Tyria I've been really annoyed by the fact that the game is full of beautiful locations, with amazing and rich details, but I can't really appreciate it, because aside from some camps and cities, there's enemies in almost EVERY inch you walk into. This is specially true in HoT and PoF maps. I can't even open the map for 5 seconds to situate myself without being attacked by vicious creatures and die. Sometimes I just want to appreciate the scenery or go from point A to point B. But it's always a struggle because I get easily dismounted and have to fight 5 vets and 15 other mobs. The enemies are all clustered and the respawn rate is insanely fast. Why?

Let's take another example: In 99% of games, gathering is usually a casual and friendly activity, where people tend to fall back and relax a bit, but in GW2 you have to fight tooth and nails just to get a Mithril Vein. In other games you have enemies around too, but they're not veterans, elites and champions roaming everywhere. In GW2 I feel like I'm in a dungeon all the time. I understand the game design for open world, but seriously, I just literally took 3 minutes to gather a mining node in Crystal Oasis because enemies kept fighting me, and I could not find a safe place to get out of combat to mount and take off. And that repeats again and again! Even if I'm a lvl 80 character in a low level map, because of map syncing, a lvl 1 enemy still can kill me if I go AFK for a minute. I can't have a relaxed time not even in there, because enemies will still aggro when I get by.

Although I doubt it will ever be heard, my suggestion would be to improve the mechanics for crossing the maps with some kind of anti-aggro ability or item, specially (but not only) while gathering. You don't have to be immune to aggro, because I know people would exploit it somehow, like reach some places without the challenge the game have been previously designed for. But maybe making the aggro radius smaller and/or give us easier combat disengages. Also mounts need to be more resilient, because even the strongest of them can be defeated by a few hits. Overall, I don't think we have to be in a long battle every we walk outside. I think we could enjoy the game in other ways than fighting all the time. 

TL;DR:
I feel like the fighting in GW2's open world is too overwhelming. Specially in expansion's maps, enemies are too clustered and have an insanely fast respawn rate. You can't go from point A to point B without getting to fight for 2-3 minutes every 10 feet. You can't really appreciate the beautiful locations and details in the game maps, and you can't have a relaxed time while gathering or just walking around, because, again there's enemies (and a lot of them) in every corner. Some kind of avoidable mechanic (item or ability) would be nice, of course with some restrictions and precautions. I love the game, but sometimes I want to enjoy it without being forced to fight all the time.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 22
  • Sad 2

If you want to make a break to enjoy the view from time to time: Get a skyscale!  😉

You can also use it to cross the map without any aggro

If you just want to farm resources without fighting, play a class with minions/pets that do the fighting for you

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

This is a common complaint especially for Pof maps where they really went overboard with aggro ranges. Hot with mounts is not so bad, you can find safe places imo.

Two masteries that can help you with that. One is for gliding that stealths you when you dodge while gliding. The second one I use all the time is LS4 mastery that gives you access to stealth on all mounts. Won't help you getting out of combat but does help not pulling aggro.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

If you want to make a break to enjoy the view from time to time: Get a skyscale!  😉

You can also use it to cross the map without any aggro

If you just want to farm resources without fighting, play a class with minions/pets that do the fighting for you

Yeah, I can imagine the skycale will make it easier. But I'm still recovering from buying all the expansions this month. It will be some time before I can buy the LWS4.

About pets/minions, won't it still put me in combat and make me fight after anyway? Anyway, it's a solution but still a very limited one. 😕

16 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

This is a common complaint especially for Pof maps where they really went overboard with aggro ranges. Hot with mounts is not so bad, you can find safe places imo.

Two masteries that can help you with that. One is for gliding that stealths you when you dodge while gliding. The second one I use all the time is LS4 mastery that gives you access to stealth on all mounts. Won't help you getting out of combat but does help not pulling aggro.

Hmm. Stealth on mounts is nice. I didn't know this mastery exists. I need to buy LWS4 ASAP. Haha

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Nodora.1365 said:

About pets/minions, won't it still put me in combat and make me fight after anyway?

Lets say you play a ranger/sb, let your pet fight while you go away then recall and switch it (ranger) or go beast mode (sb), leaving the enemies alone and far away, such that you get out-of-combat fast.

Of course permanent +25% speed via signet or traveller runes help with that.

Another way: Play thief and use it's invisibility, e.g. a shadow refugee on the resource node. Maybe a bit overpowered for a resource node 🙂 but very useful for hero points. 🙂

Btw.: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ash_Legion_Spy_Kit and https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Order_of_Whispers_Spy_Kit exist as well, for invisibility for all classes

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

A lot of it has to do with how good you are at the game.  Devs have said that a good player does 5x the amount of damage that an average player does.  That's a significant difference.

As a long time vet, there are a few places where mining a mithril node is a hassle, but most of the time, it's a casual activity because most of the time you can mow things down with AOE fairly quickly . You get mithril and drops.   It's relatively easy.

A returning player jumping from the core game to the much harder expansions will see things as too crowded, too hard.  Some players barely even notice the stuff in the open world. If you ever ran around HOT with me, you'd see a vast difference between what you experience and what I experience. This was meant to be end game areas. It was meant to feel dangerous.

There are places to gather that are very easy to gather, but not usually in the war torn areas of the expansion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, HowlKamui.5120 said:

On the other hand, that's what I like in GW2. Open world is actually a challenge.

It can be a challenge but there doesnt have to be large craters(dragons end) everywhere and  a bunch of snipers(icebrood saga)

constantly sniping you and mines in the water(lots of places) that blow you up

Edited by Infinity.2876
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

A lot of it has to do with how good you are at the game.  Devs have said that a good player does 5x the amount of damage that an average player does.  That's a significant difference.

As a long time vet, there are a few places where mining a mithril node is a hassle, but most of the time, it's a casual activity because most of the time you can mow things down with AOE fairly quickly . You get mithril and drops.   It's relatively easy.

A returning player jumping from the core game to the much harder expansions will see things as too crowded, too hard.  Some players barely even notice the stuff in the open world. If you ever ran around HOT with me, you'd see a vast difference between what you experience and what I experience. This was meant to be end game areas. It was meant to feel dangerous.

There are places to gather that are very easy to gather, but not usually in the war torn areas of the expansion.  

It sometimes a lot harder than throw down a few aoes when you aren't playing the meta

But you have a valid point

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Nodora.1365 said:

Yeah, I can imagine the skycale will make it easier. But I'm still recovering from buying all the expansions this month. It will be some time before I can buy the LWS4.

About pets/minions, won't it still put me in combat and make me fight after anyway? Anyway, it's a solution but still a very limited one. 😕

Hmm. Stealth on mounts is nice. I didn't know this mastery exists. I need to buy LWS4 ASAP. Haha

First you have to get shot off your mount half a dozen times

(Sorry about making this thread long. You can't quote in an edited post)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nodora.1365 said:

First and foremost, I'm not exactly new, but I'm returning after 8 years, so it's kinda like I am - specially in terms of expansions, which I've never played.
I've played GW1 and all its expansions and I've followed every step of GW2's development and participated in all beta tests. So yeah, I'm a big fan of the game and ANet.
(Just in case you're wondering, I've quit back then because I decided to stop playing MMOs in general for awhile.)

Now, returning to Tyria I've been really annoyed by the fact that the game is full of beautiful locations, with amazing and rich details, but I can't really appreciate it, because aside from some camps and cities, there's enemies in almost EVERY inch you walk into. This is specially true in HoT and PoF maps. I can't even open the map for 5 seconds to situate myself without being attacked by vicious creatures and die. Sometimes I just want to appreciate the scenery or go from point A to point B. But it's always a struggle because I get easily dismounted and have to fight 5 vets and 15 other mobs. The enemies are all clustered and the respawn rate is insanely fast. Why?

Let's take another example: In 99% of games, gathering is usually a casual and friendly activity, where people tend to fall back and relax a bit, but in GW2 you have to fight tooth and nails just to get a Mithril Vein. In other games you have enemies around too, but they're not veterans, elites and champions roaming everywhere. In GW2 I feel like I'm in a dungeon all the time. I understand the game design for open world, but seriously, I just literally took 3 minutes to gather a mining node in Crystal Oasis because enemies kept fighting me, and I could not find a safe place to get out of combat to mount and take off. And that repeats again and again! Even if I'm a lvl 80 character in a low level map, because of map syncing, a lvl 1 enemy still can kill me if I go AFK for a minute. I can't have a relaxed time not even in there, because enemies will still aggro when I get by.

Although I doubt it will ever be heard, my suggestion would be to improve the mechanics for crossing the maps with some kind of anti-aggro ability or item, specially (but not only) while gathering. You don't have to be immune to aggro, because I know people would exploit it somehow, like reach some places without the challenge the game have been previously designed for. But maybe making the aggro radius smaller and/or give us easier combat disengages. Also mounts need to be more resilient, because even the strongest of them can be defeated by a few hits. Overall, I don't think we have to be in a long battle every we walk outside. I think we could enjoy the game in other ways than fighting all the time. 

TL;DR:
I feel like the fighting in GW2's open world is too overwhelming. Specially in expansion's maps, enemies are too clustered and have an insanely fast respawn rate. You can't go from point A to point B without getting to fight for 2-3 minutes every 10 feet. You can't really appreciate the beautiful locations and details in the game maps, and you can't have a relaxed time while gathering or just walking around, because, again there's enemies (and a lot of them) in every corner. Some kind of avoidable mechanic (item or ability) would be nice, of course with some restrictions and precautions. I love the game, but sometimes I want to enjoy it without being forced to fight all the time.

Have you completed all the mount masteries? Getting top tier will share each mount’s ability with other mounts, giving all of them evasiveness and resilience.  With all mounts fully mastered I rarely get dismounted as long as I keep moving and don’t hit the rare dismount traps in parts of PoF.

As to gathering, stealth can help when you just don’t want to be bothered killing the nearby mobs. There are also gathering tools that harvest faster, so you can gather and get out before the mob gets to hit you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The time to enjoy beautiful scenery is your reward for Murder.

Actually, there is quite a bit of empty space on the maps as long as you aren't trying to rush through everything, pulling a train of mobs behind you. Spend time learning enemy behaviors and locations. You'll find you can get to most locations easily without much aggro.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Infinity.2876 said:

It sometimes a lot harder than throw down a few aoes when you aren't playing the meta

But you have a valid point

I don't always play meta builds, but I do know my class enough to take things down relatively quickly.  You can have off meta builds and still mow things down.  If you're having that much trouble in the open world though, checking your gear and builds is probably a decent place to start.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well heart of thorns maps are deep in a jungle where literally everything wants to kill you.  Path of fire maps are in a hostile desert.  

I have to say I kind of understand what you mean by not being able to go afk for very long without being attacked...  but overall I love the way the world is dangerous in this game.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Nodora.1365 said:

TL;DR:

The fact that so many are laughing at your post and trolling you with confused reacts just shows you how welcoming the community is on the forum. But don't worry you are not the only one to complain about it. Once you get a skyscale you can avoid a lot of the problems. But yes HOT is a bit too much. Everything is trying to kill you all the time and you cant get even few minutes to enjoy the scenery.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Mickey.4207 said:

The fact that so many are laughing at your post and trolling you with confused reacts just shows you how welcoming the community is on the forum. But don't worry you are not the only one to complain about it. Once you get a skyscale you can avoid a lot of the problems. But yes HOT is a bit too much. Everything is trying to kill you all the time and you cant get even few minutes to enjoy the scenery.

Since we aren't given the ability to signal unambiguously that we disagree, confused emojis will have to do.  Is the only acceptable form of communication total agreement?

FWIW, I agree to an extent.  I am fine with the difficulty and density of mobs and would not like to see that changed, but I find PoF annoying because of the increase in aggro range.  You rarely find yourself under attack near (uncontested) waypoints in HoT because the mobs don't aggro from a mile away.  But it happens all the time in PoF. 

Likewise you can walk to nearly 600 range of enemies in HoT and harvest nodes, but in PoF they aggro from 900-1200 or even further away than that at times.  Personally, I find this annoying and unnecessary, so I wouldn't mind seeing it changed over to HoT aggro range.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Mickey.4207 said:

11 total is many now? like really

• Haha 2

Another shared mount skill that might help -- though it'll be quite some effort to get it -- is the final mastery skill on the turtle, which shares its health boost to your other mounts so they'll all be able to tank more damage before you are dismounted.

But mostly it's a matter of learning the mob patterns and finding the safe ledges or rooftops to perch on (springer is often all you need to reach these) when you want to open your map or take in the view or step away to the bathroom.  I hope you can manage it, because there really are a lot of great views.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Yeah, depending on the class I'm on, I can burn down things relatively quick (well, except some cases in PoF where mobs seems to have an excessively larger health pool and they keep coming from everywhere). But that's not the point. I just think it can be tiring to have to fight every time you stop anywhere. But as some people said, there are some methods to avoid it and I'm just getting the hang of it.

4 hours ago, Mickey.4207 said:

I don't mind and I don't expect everyone to agree. In fact, I think it's perfectly healthy to disagree, specially when it evolves an opinion not a rule. And that's why my complaint had a certain tone of humour (at least I tried). I understand the game design for open world, I just think it can be too much at times.

Edited by Nodora.1365
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Nodora.1365 said:

I won't quote every single one, but thanks everyone for giving so many options!

For those who understood my point, I'm glad I'm not alone. For those who didn't, it's okay. I think it's a valid discussion anyway.

For the record, you can understand someone's point without agreeing with it, but I agree, it's a valid discussion.  It's not exactly a new discussion, but changing your build and gear can help mitigate much of the issues, in most (but not all) places.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is funny going back to core and you can stand arms reach of enemies and they don't attack you.

I prefer that aggro range.  The POF range has them running half across the map to come get you.  And Cantha seems the same? Except everything can shoot at you too like drizzlewood.  It makes the maps unpleasant to explore.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Well, if you're AFK-ing in a hot zone, that's just a lesson one learns the hard way: Don't. If I'm alone and I need to step away for a minute, I'll either climb up onto a high place with a springer or skyscale, or just quickly doubleclick the nearest waypoint. With some exceptions due to events and the like, that typically means safety for a few minutes of afk time.

I still get nailed every now and again. Just yesterday I AFK'd on my skiff in Caledon thinking I was safe(didn't want to waypoint, despawn my boat and lose my fishing stacks) but some krait decided to sink my boat and stab me in the kidneys while they were at it. Came back to my floating body in the water. Lost my fish buff and had to take the waypoint Walk of Shame. Good times. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1