Turn off the timer on the Jade Maw

Dear sweet Arenanet,

The expansion is out for a month now. It was evident from the first week that the Jade Maw has some serious issues with the scaling yet no one did anything to it. It is still impossible to beat it after more than 10-15 people showing up. Completing the even is required for a lot of collections, including the turtle mount as well. I'm sure you cannot fix this event by just tweaking numbers, because in that cause, you'd have already did it. So here a big brain suggestion for a temporary solution: turn off the timer. It's absurd that people keep telling to others to don't come or stay away from the event because that will make it 100% sure to fail.

At this point, I have more succesful clears on the Dragon's End metaevent than on the god kitten Jade Maw. Getting the turtle egg from there was EASIER that clearing this overtuned crap. Unless there is some 5D chess brain game design plan behing this that the avarage player cannot understand, please fix the scaling or turn off the timer.

I'm 100% sure this issue was brough up in other topics, but I don't really care, maybe one developer will notice it if it keeps popping up.

Cheers.

Edited by Bazs.1470
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

You have some valid points. But EoD content and guild wars 2 moving forward is for the elite gamer not for Open World PvE players. It will need just as dedicated a group of players to complete successfully as the DE meta event. I can say this because I literally ran a whole map on the Jade Maw earlier today and it failed. I put in map chat the wiki information on completing it, suppressed multiple times, I had them gather the Deff + Off boons many had the map +10 or at least +6 boons going. Even with all that it scaled so high 50+ players could only get it to 80%.

On the flip side it was my wife and I plus about 3 or 4 others and we completed it in just the nick of time. But we completed it. Interestingly enough yes the whole time during our "raid" on the VCJM we had the same players saying come back when there are only 5 or less or come back when there are 10 or less. Or best yet ridiculing us for even 1 listing in lfg for the event 2 to complain about EoD and how the metas suck (my response was to tell them to tell it on the forums) 3 to put down players "I can't believe this many players don't know fractals". 🤔 with friends like those who wants to be around that game mode I thought?

This goes to show that EoD in it's entirety is tuned for raid level. But this is apparently not changing any more than it already has. While I agree with you this "leave and come back with fewer players" philosophy is quite odd given the opposite message from the meta. Bring more bring all you have and then all the other blah blah blah.

So for now however so sadly this s if you want the turtle it is best to just return later with fewer players and hopefully complete it.

The suggestion for AreaNet I have is to add more spawns of the crystals and more frequent abilities to throw them. I've seen it's RNG literally wait 30 to drop those precious crystals and then another 5 to spawn and attack opportunity. ALL the while the timer is ticking! That is just wrong. Having an 8m timer that by the time you can do ANYTHING you down to 6m then by the time you can do anything again your down to 2:40m Yes I have watched it each time we've tried. After that you don't have time or if you do it's very very close.

Or just come back later. Sad but there you have it, it does work. Players shouldn't have to do that but.....

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Seth Moonshadow.2710 said:

You have some valid points. But EoD content and guild wars 2 moving forward is for the elite gamer not for Open World PvE players. It will need just as dedicated a group of players to complete successfully as the DE meta event. I can say this because I literally ran a whole map on the Jade Maw earlier today and it failed. I put in map chat the wiki information on completing it, suppressed multiple times, I had them gather the Deff + Off boons many had the map +10 or at least +6 boons going. Even with all that it scaled so high 50+ players could only get it to 80%.

On the flip side it was my wife and I plus about 3 or 4 others and we completed it in just the nick of time. But we completed it. Interestingly enough yes the whole time during our "raid" on the VCJM we had the same players saying come back when there are only 5 or less or come back when there are 10 or less. Or best yet ridiculing us for even 1 listing in lfg for the event 2 to complain about EoD and how the metas suck (my response was to tell them to tell it on the forums) 3 to put down players "I can't believe this many players don't know fractals". 🤔 with friends like those who wants to be around that game mode I thought?

This goes to show that EoD in it's entirety is tuned for raid level. But this is apparently not changing any more than it already has. While I agree with you this "leave and come back with fewer players" philosophy is quite odd given the opposite message from the meta. Bring more bring all you have and then all the other blah blah blah.

So for now however so sadly this s if you want the turtle it is best to just return later with fewer players and hopefully complete it.

The suggestion for AreaNet I have is to add more spawns of the crystals and more frequent abilities to throw them. I've seen it's RNG literally wait 30 to drop those precious crystals and then another 5 to spawn and attack opportunity. ALL the while the timer is ticking! That is just wrong. Having an 8m timer that by the time you can do ANYTHING you down to 6m then by the time you can do anything again your down to 2:40m Yes I have watched it each time we've tried. After that you don't have time or if you do it's very very close.

Or just come back later. Sad but there you have it, it does work. Players shouldn't have to do that but.....

Yes as many have said the scaling on jade maw is bugged as hell.

To many people you will do 1% life damage each crystal you throw, with few people it will be bettwen 5% to 3%

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes as many have said the scaling on jade maw is bugged as hell.

But that's the problem. But that scaling I've seen on average level enemies too. they go from 80 to veteran to then an elite in a matter of seconds. 😲

Yes, we just participated in the 9:45 VCJM event and there were 12 of us but some left. seconds before the spawn of teh VCJM the head count was 9. At the last 5% others joined grabbed crystals and threw turning a skin of your teeth lose into a win with literally no time to spare.

Can it be done? Yes

Is this the way it should play out? Not in the OP's or my opinion as players. Maybe in ArenaNets opinion, I don't know.

But there it is. I would suggest that since this seems to be the way the masses are now acquiring the turtle part you might want to post on the bug forum and hope for a fix. Or as you say wait more tie and see if they are going with a Elite release Open world / PvE nerf before next release. Also report an in game bug. I reported some the other day. Like the teleport a friend/gunner does not work at all.

Good luck though and keep trying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Seth Moonshadow.2710 said:

Coming from a raider, EoD "in its entirety" is nothing like raid level at all. 

The reason you can't complete Maw with a 50 man squad:

- it does not spawn an appropriate number of tentacles/crystals for the number of players when there are that many people, so you just can't throw as many at the Maw to damage it.

- when you do throw a crystal, you are doing way less than 1% health per crystal per player (I'd argue more like 0.1%) with 50 people - that is why you do not get it below 80% 

- a 50 man raid squad would also not be able to complete the event due to the scaling, people are telling you to go back with fewer players because there is a legitimate problem with the event and the scaling.

Solution? Spawn more crystals and/or change the crystal damage - either % health, or have it scale up with players.

I am assuming the issue is that the maw health scales up and the damage done per crystal doesn't change.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Pinkeh.4207 said:

Did it with a group of 5, finished in under 3 minutes. 

More than 10+ people and u might as well give up. Scaling is broken.

Same for me.  I spent the better part of an entire day hanging around the Jade Maw spawn area (I did swap maps occasionally so as not to take up a slot when others were trying to complete the Jade Sea meta).  I did the event 10x; first 9 attempts there were anywhere from 10-40 players taking part in the event, and only ONCE in those 9 attempts did our group get the Maw below 25% health.  On the 10th attempt only 5 players showed up including myself.  We beat the Jade Maw with several minutes remaining.

Gotta agree with Pinkeh and everyone else saying it;  Scaling is broken.

Edited by Ronin.4501
grammar correction
  • Like 1