Anyone else kinda miss these cutscenes?

1 hour ago, circuitnerd.5863 said:

Anyone else kinda miss the cutscenes in personal story? I'm replaying it for the first time in years and I kinda miss the slower pace and art style of them. 

https://i.imgur.com/Q2zxXkh.jpg

No, its one of the most horrible thing they have ever done. They should actually rework core game to be chatting while you move, jump and watch map/players. Not like reading a book with characters standing on a static wallpaper.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 5
  • Confused 10

Ehhh...not really. They had their place in the core game, and I can appreciate them there. I think they're charming - a little awkward and silly at times, but charming (and I did like that you could actually see characters' faces there). I wouldn't want them removed, but nor would I want them to come back.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

I don’t miss it. I feel more into the story when they do the talking the way they do now since you’re not limited to only watch two characters at a time. They add small details you don’t get with the old way. Like in the story part where they are in dry top and find a certain someone’s house and taimi passes rox and her tail gets in the way. 

I do however agree a skip button should be added somehow. Just not sure how they can implement that.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I have mixed feelings on it. I often have to play with the sound off and I read slowly so the old style cut scenes were good for allowing me to focus on dialogue. If a conversation is going on while we're running around I either have to stop what I'm doing to read it or miss parts of it (especially if an NPC is not in front of me so their speech bubbles aren't visible), if it's happening during combat I have to forget about following the dialogue at all and wait until there's a break in the action to re-read it in the chat box, which is not ideal. With the old style cut scenes I could focus on what was being said without all the distractions.

On the other hand they were pretty bad for anything which mixed speech and actions. There's a few times in the personal story where an NPC is attacked, something explodes (or significantly doesn't explode) or something else happens and a lot of the impact is lost because all you see is two people standing there calmly having a conversation.

I think my preference would be a mix of both - if all that's happening during the conversation is characters talking to each other use the old style cut scenes, if it's important to see what's happening or what's around them do the newer in-world style and if facial expressions and actions that can't be conveyed with emotes are important do an actual cut scene.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

No, its one of the most horrible thing they have ever done. They should actually rework core game to be chatting while you move, jump and watch map/players. Not like reading a book with characters standing on a static wallpaper.

At least, back then, the characters would move their lips properly to 100% form the words they were currently speaking instead of just a generic movement of the jaw as we are seeing it today. Also, the face muscles were used more. I miss all that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I liked them at the beginning but then they added alot of good headgear to the game. Many of my characters are cats, deer or foxes (or in the case of my Charr characters, cat-deers) and having their headpiece hidden during those cutscenes becomes really weird and seems out of place.

I think its also one of the things that makes the Personal Story feel kind of unpolished.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

When they first launched these cut scenes were much more personal than any standard cutscene we used to have and were actually a selling point; however, they didn't age well. I like their latest format even if it doesn't really put my character's face front and center.  I like that the newer 'cut' scenes let me control my character, I can move around and feel like I am interacting with the story rather than just observing it. 

Edited by Obfuscate.6430
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Obfuscate.6430 said:

When they first launched these cut scenes were much more personal than any standard cutscene we used to have and were actually a selling point; however, they didn't age well. I like their latest format even if it doesn't really put my character's face front and center.  I like that the newer 'cut' scenes let me control my character, I can move around and feel like I am interact with the story rather than just observing it. 

What? i was here in 2012 and there were complaints all around about the iterations in the cutscenes being boring, not engaging, not dinamic... etc. Even nowadays the common opinion is that every story content (aside Core game) is better presented.

Its not that they didnt age well is that they were bad since the start, thats why you dont see it anymore since 2012. New players will like more the new presentation than those.

Edited by Izzy.2951

13 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

What? i was here in 2012 and there were complaints all around about the iterations in the cutscenes being boring, not engaging, not dinamic... etc. Even nowadays the common opinion is that every story content (aside Core game) is better presented.

Its not that they didnt age well is that they were bad since the start, thats why you dont see it anymore since 2012. New players will like more the new presentation than those.

Maybe I missed those posts. I just know how different Guild Wars 2 was from Guild Wars 1, and the cut scenes were originally thought of by the people I knew as pretty cool. We hadn't seen anything like that before then. 

On 3/27/2022 at 8:04 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

I have mixed feelings on it. I often have to play with the sound off and I read slowly so the old style cut scenes were good for allowing me to focus on dialogue. If a conversation is going on while we're running around I either have to stop what I'm doing to read it or miss parts of it (especially if an NPC is not in front of me so their speech bubbles aren't visible), if it's happening during combat I have to forget about following the dialogue at all and wait until there's a break in the action to re-read it in the chat box, which is not ideal. With the old style cut scenes I could focus on what was being said without all the distractions.

On the other hand they were pretty bad for anything which mixed speech and actions. There's a few times in the personal story where an NPC is attacked, something explodes (or significantly doesn't explode) or something else happens and a lot of the impact is lost because all you see is two people standing there calmly having a conversation.

I think my preference would be a mix of both - if all that's happening during the conversation is characters talking to each other use the old style cut scenes, if it's important to see what's happening or what's around them do the newer in-world style and if facial expressions and actions that can't be conveyed with emotes are important do an actual cut scene.

Yeah, I like that idea. I like the focus of the conversation, and really do miss it in the story, but the action scenes were awkward. Would totally be up for bringing them back every now and then, when appropriate.