About season 6 maps

Diovid.9506

I know season 6 is a bit father away now  because of the reintroduction of season 1. That's perfectly fine by me. However we also have confirmation that at least one more map in Cantha is being worked on.

My ideal season 6 maps are: 1) Drowned Kaineng (the hints towards Raisu Palace are very strong), 2) Western Shing Jea, 3) Southern Echovald, 4) a second (not meta focused) Jade Sea map, 5) the Battle Isles (tying into the threat from the deep) and 6) the Dominion of Winds. 

The next expansion is then free to explore entirely new regions for the franchise. 

Edit:

Cantha Living Story maps (general areas)

Edited by Diovid.9506
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

I don't thin Shing Jea will be able to fit two additional maps, or did you mean Jade Sea with your second one?

TBH, I would like a map where we haven't been in GW1 - like the newly named "Great Turtle Highlands" or beyond the Jade Expanse. But I don't think any plothooks were established for going into those regions, unlike Raisu Palace and southern Echovald.

• Like 1

We don’t know a new season is coming - just a new Canthan map. I’ve kinda always thought the seasons might end after EoD as they seek a new delivery method for content or focus on other things.

It could be that we might get a couple of maps that aren't connected under a season umbrella and are more like the IBS prologue or are self contained stories.

Not sure where will go though - I’m still only halfway through EoD

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 4:42 PM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

I don't thin Shing Jea will be able to fit two additional maps, or did you mean Jade Sea with your second one?

TBH, I would like a map where we haven't been in GW1 - like the newly named "Great Turtle Highlands" or beyond the Jade Expanse. But I don't think any plothooks were established for going into those regions, unlike Raisu Palace and southern Echovald.

They meant jade sea but I’ve thought about this a lot. I think the problem isn’t if it can fit two, but that it can’t fit the whole thing in one. Not unless it’s a map even bigger than the EoD ones.  And for the record while it may not be perfect, it can definitely host two more maps. I’ve done a lot of square drawing on the new map, but I have no idea how to post images here or else I’d make a thread about this same topic with my own ideas.

speaking of, and to address your Great Turtle Highlands comment, I agree. It would be cool to go there and seeing as they chose to put a name to the region I can only assume we will? And there aren’t any plot hooks necessarily specific to that area, but it does have a coastline so I’d say use that map as a prelude or setup to a later story (expansion 4 or even further away) about the deep sea monstrosity.  I also love the new lounge pass and I really wish it had a place in the real world lore instead of being a random meaningless displaced mist thing.  

Anyway, here’s my pitch for a map in the Great Turtle Highlands: the Thousand Seas Hatchlands:

Long before the Luxons ever tamed the great Siege Turtle, the massive beasts had a home of their own beyond the Jade Sea in lands long since forgotten by mainland Cantha.  Although the modern empire may have abandoned these lands, there was a time when the Highlands were a near-sacred place for Luxons.  It was here they found their first turtle hatchlings to raise back home around the Jade Sea, changing their culture forever.  The turtles use the beaches of the area to lay their eggs. Most hatchlings take to the sea like other turtle species, but some families of turtles have also taken up permanent residence in their ancestral birthing grounds to guard the future generations as they make a perilous trip to the restless sea.  The area was named the Thousand Seas by ancient Luxons for the mad crashing of waves, making the shoreline appear to be made up of thousands of ocean currents fighting against each other.  Although the surface is near impossible to sail on for long distances, the waters beneath the surface are surprisingly calm and welcoming to the newborn turtles. In the map rests a village of ancient Luxons and other Canthans long forgotten by the empire as they moved away from the region.  These people are unaware of the advances of jade technology, of the protection of Soo-Won, the formation of the Ministry of Purity, or even what the name Shiro Tagachi means to the rest of the world.  They have lived isolated in the mountainous highlands keeping watch over the beaches for millennia.  However, what they have to tell newcomers is eerily disturbing.  The area has always held native creatures dangerous to the turtles, true, and the shoreline has always been an impassible wall of chaotic waves.  But only recently in the last few months, the waves have gotten more intense, beginning to bring tidal waves down on the beaches and damaging any structures the people had built.  Moreover, various creatures unknown to the world thus far have begun emerging from beneath the water.  Back at the temporary base camp the modern Canthans and Priory explorers set up to study and chart the region, informed scholars postulate that the waves picked up around the time Soo-Won perished.  The creature that mainland Tyrians thought was the deep sea dragon herself is seemingly active more than ever before. Somehow, it knows... the surface world is no longer protected by Mother.  We are no longer safe.

On 3/28/2022 at 1:00 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

We don’t know a new season is coming - just a new Canthan map. I’ve kinda always thought the seasons might end after EoD as they seek a new delivery method for content or focus on other things.

It could be that we might get a couple of maps that aren't connected under a season umbrella and are more like the IBS prologue or are self contained stories.

When did Anet say we're getting a new canthan map?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

When did Anet say we're getting a new canthan map?

“Finally, we’re happy to confirm that we’re working on the next story update for Guild Wars 2, including a new map set in the Cantha region. The story (and how we tell it) can go in so many interesting directions now that the Elder Dragon threat is addressed!”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/arenanet-studio-update-the-future-of-guild-wars-2/

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

Dajkah, Dzalana, and scavenger's causeway?  Isles of Janthir?  Janthir Bay?

Just because the name shows up on the map, doesn't mean that Anet is sending us there.

None of those were locations were what I was referring to.

Edited by mythical.6315

19 minutes ago, Fenom.9457 said:

Which ones then? I love speculation on this topic

The area around Kirin Peak as they make it obvious that something is there and was Minister Wona's Estate in GW1.

Drowned Kaineng because of how many hints were given about it.

Great Turtle Highlands.  I'm basing that off of it being an area in GW1 and they gave the region a name.  It's the weakest theory of the three.

Other options are the west half of Shing Jea island and the Eternal Grove.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

The area around Kirin Peak as they make it obvious that something is there and was Minister Wona's Estate in GW1.

Great Turtle Highlands.  I'm basing that off of it being an area in GW1 and they gave the region a name.  It's the weakest theory of the three.

I agree 100% with all of those, however Great Turtle Highlands is not a region from GW1 and that's precisely why I think it will definitely be host to a new map in the coming season.  It's the only region label that wasn't in the first game and we have no lore about at all.  Clearly anet is only labeling the things they have lore in mind for, or else why not slap some labels on the east side of Cantha too, and the new continent?  Yet we know nothing about that area so it must be new lore.

I really love Cantha and honestly I could come up with a pitch for a 12 map season the place is so full of potential.  Even trying to narrow it down I've had a hard time getting it below 8 and I kinda want to make a concept post for an 8 episode Cantha season.  But realistically a 6 episode season is more likely and if we get 6 more maps I would anticipate:

Western Shing Jea

Southern Echovald (Eternal Grove)

Anywhere in the Jade Sea (best guess, Cavalon)

Old Kaineng, specifically the Raisu Palace area

Kirin Peak

some slice of Great Turtle Highlands

23 minutes ago, Fenom.9457 said:

I agree 100% with all of those, however Great Turtle Highlands is not a region from GW1 and that's precisely why I think it will definitely be host to a new map in the coming season.  It's the only region label that wasn't in the first game and we have no lore about at all. 

I consider Eredon Terrace and Maishang Hills to be a part of Great Turtle Highlands.

Edited by mythical.6315

3 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

I consider that area to be Eredon Terrace and Maishang Hills.

I mean those regions are really just the far reaches of the Jade Sea, like the shoreline on the other side of the mountains that would be the highlands... that shaman hasn't updated the historical guide to tyria which has the GW1 map overlay yet, but you can see pretty clearly just comparing the two games the highlands were an untouched area

2 minutes ago, Fenom.9457 said:

I mean those regions are really just the far reaches of the Jade Sea, like the shoreline on the other side of the mountains that would be the highlands... that shaman hasn't updated the historical guide to tyria which has the GW1 map overlay yet, but you can see pretty clearly just comparing the two games the highlands were an untouched area

The western part of the Turtle Highlands is MaiShaing Hills.  You can see it by comparing the GW1 zone map, in relation to the Jade Sea, with the GW2 world map.

Granted everything is still speculation.

Edited by mythical.6315

On 3/28/2022 at 8:00 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

Living World is a tried and true method of storytelling they have experimented with up to its "peak" in Season 4. IBS deviated from the format just a little and it's considered a major failure in that regard. Did it fail because of time and resource constraints? Yes, but it would have probably failed much less or even succeeded if they just stuck to the LW4 format to the letter instead of experimenting with the Sagas idea. I think it's very strongly implied we're getting content delivered in the form of Living World episodes in between EoD and the next expansion. Bear mind Living World does not imply they are related or somehow lead into the next expansion, it just means they don't really have to think of any new fancy format and focus on the content itself rather than the system they use to deliver it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxwelgm.4315 said:

Living World is a tried and true method of storytelling they have experimented with up to its "peak" in Season 4. IBS deviated from the format just a little and it's considered a major failure in that regard. Did it fail because of time and resource constraints? Yes, but it would have probably failed much less or even succeeded if they just stuck to the LW4 format to the letter instead of experimenting with the Sagas idea. I think it's very strongly implied we're getting content delivered in the form of Living World episodes in between EoD and the next expansion. Bear mind Living World does not imply they are related or somehow lead into the next expansion, it just means they don't really have to think of any new fancy format and focus on the content itself rather than the system they use to deliver it.

It wasn’t deemed a failure because of its deviation, it was considered a failure for the drms which were rushed, repetitive and tedious. I wasn’t a huge fan of IBS at times, but it was certainly very well received up until the end of Drizzlewood

The living world season format has always been a mixed bag - delivering both an abundance of content and a templates format which has often caused rushed, constrained story content and inconsistencies in quality.

They don’t have to change it as you say, but it is also an opportunity to experiment with a delivery that focuses more on slower, higher quality, than rushed to meet a specific release cadence. 

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

I was too, thinking about the Kirin place, its bugging my eyes too much. I want to get there 😛

On 4/11/2022 at 9:50 PM, Fenom.9457 said:

It's the only region label that wasn't in the first game and we have no lore about at all.  Clearly anet is only labeling the things they have lore in mind for, or else why not slap some labels on the east side of Cantha too, and the new continent?  Yet we know nothing about that area so it must be new lore.

Empirical evidence suggests otherwise. ArenaNet gave labels for Scavenger's Causeway or Janthir Bay, but we've yet to visit it - or even get new lore about the places. And even then, you had places like Woodland Cascades and Blood Legion Homelands given labels but no plans to visit there at core launch (we did eventually go there - sorta - but they didn't have the IBS storyline in-mind until years later; dev comments over the years suggests they only had a rough outline for up to and including Heart of Thorns, at least with S1 era). The fact that they've held regions with no purpose but holding labels since the core release puts a huge dent in this argument.

They even labeled Dzalana with Season 4, but never bothered to take us there.

To me, Kirin Peak is like Dzalana and Isles of Janthir, while Great Turtle Highlands is like Scavenger's Causeway and Janthir Bay. Nearby regions given labels, some with history some without.

Just because they have labels, doesn't mean there are plans to go there or lore created beyond those names. Just like how just because they put some GW1 map details into the world map, doesn't mean we'll go there. Not to mention that both Season 3 and Season 4 altered the world map with the releases of maps in those areas, so wherever we'll end up going, the world map art will probably get altered.

On 4/12/2022 at 8:22 AM, Randulf.7614 said:

They don’t have to change it as you say, but it is also an opportunity to experiment with a delivery that focuses more on slower, higher quality, than rushed to meet a specific release cadence. 

The problem to me is that ArenaNet has never stopped experimenting and every time they do a major experiment, they spend a full year with horrible results that they have to clean up (Season 1, for example).

I'm hoping there will be more than one map tbh.

Cantha has a lot of territory to explore and most of it are places we've never seen before.

I really want to see southen Cantha myself and I would like to see the Jade Sea expanded on too as Dragons End only covered a very small portion of it.

But yes I also really want to visit the ruins of old Kaineng as well, and hopefully there will be quite a bit of water content there too, especially the old sewer systems.

6 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Empirical evidence suggests otherwise. ArenaNet gave labels for Scavenger's Causeway or Janthir Bay, but we've yet to visit it - or even get new lore about the places. And even then, you had places like Woodland Cascades and Blood Legion Homelands given labels but no plans to visit there at core launch (we did eventually go there - sorta - but they didn't have the IBS storyline in-mind until years later; dev comments over the years suggests they only had a rough outline for up to and including Heart of Thorns, at least with S1 era). The fact that they've held regions with no purpose but holding labels since the core release puts a huge dent in this argument.

They even labeled Dzalana with Season 4, but never bothered to take us there.

To me, Kirin Peak is like Dzalana and Isles of Janthir, while Great Turtle Highlands is like Scavenger's Causeway and Janthir Bay. Nearby regions given labels, some with history some without.

Just because they have labels, doesn't mean there are plans to go there or lore created beyond those names. Just like how just because they put some GW1 map details into the world map, doesn't mean we'll go there. Not to mention that both Season 3 and Season 4 altered the world map with the releases of maps in those areas, so wherever we'll end up going, the world map art will probably get altered.

The problem to me is that ArenaNet has never stopped experimenting and every time they do a major experiment, they spend a full year with horrible results that they have to clean up (Season 1, for example).

That is very true