Saltwater Fisher

To Whom This May Concern:

My friend and I have been fishing since End of Dragons has came out. We have spent about 150+ hours just on fishing alone for all the different fishing achievements. We have been successful in getting all of the fishing achievements except the Saltwater Fisher and the Avid Saltwater Fisher. We have been fishing in Caledon Forest for saltwater fish and have not had any luck obtaining saltwater fish. Additionally, we have fished in Seitung Province and New Kaineng City for saltwater fish; using Shore Fish, Offshore Fish, Coastal Fish, Channel Fish, and Open Water fishing holes. We still are having no luck with fishing there for saltwater fish either. Lastly, we have fished in Mount Maelstrom for saltwater fish over by the Infinite Coil Reactor with no luck. We understand there is a Random Number Generator (RNG) for each fish within the game. It just seems very tough for us for the saltwater fish. This might be because the pool for saltwater fish is at least 60-different items that can be caught out of it versus other fishing holes with a much lesser pool of items that can be caught out of them. A similar set of fishing achievements are the World Class Fisher and the Avid World Class Fisher. We have no issues obtaining these fish and collect many of them even within the saltwater fishing holes.

We would appreciate any feedback, tips, and support on how to complete the Saltwater Fisher and Avid Saltwater Fisher achievement. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It is a mess.  I've completed everything but Saltwater Fisher and Avid Saltwater Fisher as well.  I'm partially through repeating Avid everything else and over the past two weeks have caught only 1 fish that would be part of the Saltwater Fisher collection and it was one that I already had in the collection.  In fact it was about an hour ago today that I got it while trying the Saltwater Fish holes in Mount Maelstrom.  It did not even come from the fishing hole, it was open water casting while I waited for the hole to refresh.

Meanwhile, just from the past two days, I have: 27 Wolffish, 32 Brackish Gobies, 18 Surubim, 24 Oscars, 20 Silver Drums, 20 Snook, 18 Piranhas, and an unknown number of Maguuma Trout, junk that the jade bot recycled, and various other fish that I've converted to fillets because I only got one or two here and there.  The list above are ones I continue to get repeatedly so I started keeping them to see just how many of them I get over and over with no Saltwater fish ever popping.  1 Redfin Barb in two weeks of fishing at least 1 to 2 hours a day (usually more) in saltwater locations and it was already in the collection from the first week after release.

The only tips anyone has for this so far is give up having a life, give up doing anything else that would be more fun and/or profitable, pray and pray and pray the RNG isn't going to completely suck for you on any given session, and expect not to accomplish much of anything.  That is the unfortunate state of the Saltwater Fish collection because the RNG is so bad and the loot table so poorly setup with regards to the Saltwater and Avid Saltwater collections.

How can anyone provide any tips or strategies of any value when it is completely RNG dependant and bait, type of fishing hole, and time of day are completely irrelevant.  For every other collection we can do that, we can say use this bait, go to this type of fishing hole at this time of day and you will catch one.  It may take a couple hours but you will catch one. Not so with Saltwater Fisher collections, you can go anywhere (assuming it is saltwater), use any kind of bait you want at any time of day you want and fish for hours and hours and not catch a single one.  There's no tip or strategy possible for that other than bring lots of bait and lures, get comfortable in your chair, and prepare to be frustrated.

• Like 1

So far what I have seen in various forums is the people that have managed to complete this have been spending 12 hours or more in a single sitting doing nothing but open water fishing in Seitung or Kaineng.  Not only do most of us not have the time to do something like that no one should have to do something like that.  The fact that people do is an indication of bad design and planning for the Saltwater Fisher collections.  If that is in fact the intended design then it firmly establishes that Arenanet has no respect or consideration for our time which is not a good business strategy.

• Sad 2

Salt Water Fishing is an achievement just for AP.  Nothing is locked behind the achievement except Avid Salt Water Fishing (a no-AP repeatable achievement).  It is intended to be a hard/time-consuming achievement to complete. That being said, there is a way to make the achievement a little easier.

Find a fishing location with as few potential fish from open water as possible.  The map that everyone seems to favor is Ember Bay (LWS2 Ep2).  This cuts down on the number of undesirable fishing results, improving your chances of getting salt water fish.  It's still going to be a time-consuming achievement to complete, but every little bit helps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617 said:

Salt Water Fishing is an achievement just for AP.  Nothing is locked behind the achievement except Avid Salt Water Fishing (a no-AP repeatable achievement).  It is intended to be a hard/time-consuming achievement to complete. That being said, there is a way to make the achievement a little easier.

Find a fishing location with as few potential fish from open water as possible.  The map that everyone seems to favor is Ember Bay (LWS2 Ep2).  This cuts down on the number of undesirable fishing results, improving your chances of getting salt water fish.  It's still going to be a time-consuming achievement to complete, but every little bit helps.

The saltwater achievement can more time to complete than all other fishing achievements COMBINED. I find it very hard to believe Anet designed it this way intentionally. I feel like and many others feel like the Saltwater achievement was designed to be just as difficult as the world class fisher achievement which is far easier to complete compared to saltwater. Anet will probably balance out the catch rates for the Saltwater fish soon. Everyday there a posts about this problem.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617 said:

Just for AP?  No.  It is an achievement that is part of a larger group that must be completed for a title and for access to the Spiritwood Fishing Rod skin.  If it was just for AP then no one would care and they would skip it.  So yes, in the larger scope something is locked behind the achievement besides just the Avid collection.  Considering how the rest of the collections went very few people are going to believe your "it is intended to be a hard/time consuming achievement to complete" argument.  Like everyone else you don't know what it was intended to be you are just making assumptions. 

• Like 3

On 3/27/2022 at 7:41 PM, Rosea Arboris.3698 said:

; using Shore Fish, Offshore Fish, Coastal Fish, Channel Fish, and Open Water fishing holes.u.

this is going to be one of your biggest problems, rather than just the open water/any fish to add to the saltwater ones you've added every fish that can come from that hole as a more common drop, ive only done dragons end/avid and echovald forest/avid and i only have 1 missing fish from normal saltwater achievement.

I have now caught more spirit shards fishing (16) than types of of salt water fish (11/14), like most here I only have the two salt waters left....   Looking at gw2efficiency, the comparison of the fishing achievements just lend to bad RNG design, either on purpose or being over looked. Especially if World Class & Saltwater are supposed to be comparable achievements.

As of today (3/29/22):

World Class Fisher (919 Players complete), Saltwater Fisher (240), Avid World (219), Avid Saltwater (79)

Things really go sideways when you look at "My Guild Hall Smells of Fish Progeny" comes in at 461 players completed.

Which mean close twice as many players have completed ALL other achievements than the BASIC Saltwater. World Class is the next least competed BASIC with nearing 5 times the completion rate and 8 of 12 Avid achievements between.  You would expect both World & Salt Avids to be lower than Progeny, even both around the half mark would make sense if they are the two most difficult.  The fact that Saltwater sits at such a weird spot between Progeny and Avid World Class, really just seams off.  In my expectation the salt water completion numbers should be three times higher, in order for it to feel at least smoother. 

For me it isn't the total time, it is the everything moves at a good pace then BAM, it turns out the 98% there is the first half and the last 2% is the other half. 

Cod does not seem to be on the list..... Which I would like to see, and expect it is the same number as Avid Salt.

• Like 1