Vindicator Greatsword Animations

dace.8019

I think we could really improve the animations for some of the greatsword skills for Vindicator.

1. Mist Swing, Mist Slash, Arcing Mist.

The AA chain is fine. Functional, but fine. 

2. Mist Unleashed. 

Besides the visual on the ground, this one is weirdly underwhelming. It's just a horizontal swipe that is, or looks very identical to, one of the horizontal swings of the first two steps in the AA. Given how the effect on the terrain is depicted and how it appears, I feel like an vertical swing would be more appropriate - but really, almost anything is better than something lifted from the AA chain. It is more than a little too perfunctory and lacking in flair. But try this. Without hitting anything, just hold down 1. You'll swing that first AA a few times. Then, press 2. It's the same swing.

3. Phantom's Onslaught.

I guess this fine, excepting that the transition from ghostly/ethereal back to normal at the end of the dash is abrupt - maybe just a little bit of mist-fizz coming off the character would sell this better, or a rapid but not instant transition effect from mist to not mist. But it's not as pressing as 2 or...

4. Imperial Guard / True Strike.

Where we run into the same problem as 2. Once the block is completed, the follow up attack (True Strike) is seemingly the other of the first two auto-attacks. It's a bland, horizontal swipe. Fine in an AA, but just underselling what could be a big, fully charged up revenge smite. I also feel the little flash of mist powers that accompany it might be a bit bigger - perhaps scaling off the damage boost? 

5. Eternity's Requiem.

All good.

Edited by dace.8019
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 6

10 hours ago, warherox.7943 said:

Yeah I agree, gs#2 needs changes. Weapon skill animations should be different so players know what to dodge. 

6 hours ago, morsdood.1987 said:

Not too concerned about 4 though

Well this is the thing about 2 and the follow-up on 4 - I frequently am a bit unsure if they even happened. Especially the 4 follow-up. Because the animation is just the AA - am I just AAing? Did I use 2/4+? And yes, in PVP/WVW I can absolutely see your point, they need to be distinguishable from each other and even more so from the AA simply because the AA can be near constantly visually present.

Edited by dace.8019
  • Thanks 2

Yea I’m in the same boat. I have to check my log to see if the follow 4 attack actually connected.  I noticed it’s also very easy to avoid it. Often my target just has to walk to the side. You have to be pinpoint precise to land it and nearly on top of your target.  I don’t think the range is set correctly on it. Feels like a 13 instead of 130

Edited by Lonewolf Kai.3682
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't know how other races animations look but, charr ones look really weird. Like they dont connect, and like they're getting interrupted mid animation. Especially gs4 after block, looks like my character wanted to strikey then changed his mind.

Idk, this is not my main character but I do play it and, combat looks janky at times.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

animations need to change a bit, agreed, as for gs3... it needs a rework, ill flood the forums if needed, it needs either to do the 900 range dash allwais or pull enemies in if it hits, that skill doesnt realy need that much dmg, its good but vindi lacks cc and the skill is very bad if it doesnt hit or people move oit of range, also its a wvw spec so a pull would be great, even for pve purposes, other option would be increase the cc dealt with freeze so it is better on pve.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I feel that vindicator as a spec is somewhat lacking in animation when revenant brought a lot more cool looking animation when they were first released.

Gs2 animation can be changed with the same animation Tree Song skill in Saint Viktor - this animation seems fitting for Gs2 in my opinion.

I have no other concern for other gs skill, or maybe perhaps the auto attack can use some of animation variation of ranger gs auto attack.

• Like 3

The animations on the Vindicator are unacceptable! The Elite feels like it never left beta! How do you manage to release a new weapon set consisting of 5 skill, where 3 of the 5 skills share the exact same animations. They already copy past existing animations. Why not at least try to copy and paste the ones that ACTUALLY FIT!!! 

• Like 3

See I always thought rev was supposed to be flashy like guardian with just a little more edge, but this spec is just like the raisin bran of animations. I think all the time was spent on the dodge animation which is sick, but it is quite the tradeoff.  Give me more black mist magical effects please. 

Edited by ScottBroChill.3254
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We've been complaining about the lack of unique GS animations since the first beta. They made big changes from the first beta to the second, which gave us hope they'd continue to polish. When they didn't make any improvements to Vindicator after the second beta, we feared the worst. And it looks like this half-baked class is just what we get.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, dace.8019 said:

Apologies for the necro

But I've been away from GW2 for a while and returned lately and saw these skills updated with new animations. Thanks ANet.

A couple of weird quirks with them now, though.

You can't stow GS2 with the new animation anymore, and the animation for GS2 is completely broken on Charr while moving (looks fine when stationary).

• Like 2