Fishing NEEDS a way to de-aggro enemies or fight them.

I am absolutely kittening raging right now.  I am livid, I am furious beyond my wildest dreams, I can't even describe to you how badly I want to grab the naga and rip them apart limb by limb.  Fishing ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MUST have a way to occupy enemies.  The system right now is staggeringly stupid and rage-inducing, easily the worst part of this otherwise astounding, fantastic expansion.  But you know what SUCKS?!  Your boat being attacked by mobs beneath the water... therefore, beneath the boat so you can't actually reach them with your attacks.  So, you have to get into the water to fight them, because the bomb drop makes things WORSE - it deals almost no damage and has such a huge range is aggros MORE enemies.  It's only good for fleeing and leviathan events.  So you have no choice but to get in the water, except if you do that you have to get back in the boat to keep your fishing part buff or else you'll lose the whole thing, potentially an HOUR of fishing.  I just spent an hour getting the buff to 57 in preparation to catch a rare fish while I had higher fishing power and the kitten mobs ruined all that effort.  So, you have to get out of the boat to fight and back into the boat to renew the boat disassociation countdown.  So you have to jump in the water spam everything like a madman, jump back into the boat, and repeat until the enemies are killed all while not leaving the boat for too long but not getting too close either because if they hit the boat to much its own separate healthbar will deplete and it despawns and your buff is also lost.  See the crazy, frantic and unfun limbo you get stuck in? *every single time mobs are near a fishing hole?* So here are the questions I have, which can also be taken as solutions - 

Why are there so many fricking mobs near so many fishing holes?  What's the point of 5 VETERAN kappa pests right on top of a fishing hole?  Maybe change that

Why does the boat have a separate healthbar that causes it to disappear?  Maybe make the boat a static piece of portable collision detection that can't be killed, thus letting us ignore enemies.

Why does the fishing buff that takes a long time to amass instantly disappear the second the boat does?  Maybe give a grace period of a minute or at the very least 30 seconds to kill the enemies and respawn your skiff.

Why does the only offensive skill do literally less than 1% damage and aggro MORE enemies?  Maybe allow it to actually dispatch things so you can fish in peace, or add a new attack skill to draw the mob aggro away from the skiff healthbar.  Again, we could ignore enemies if there was a little jade turret they were attacking and it in turn chipped away at them.  Maybe make it weak enough so that more than one or two enemies will kill it, therefore not invalidating all combat when using a skiff (although that would be fine too, the thing is for fishing not fighting).

So now you have four issues, and fixing any ONE of them would rectify this major flaw that has multiple times now filled me with rage.  I know there's no way in hell I'm the only one.  Unless Anet, your intent is for players to HAVE to fish with friends?  Like you MUST have a player willing to jump in and fight enemies to protect the boat?  I know it's a social thing and I'm happy for a chance to meet new people but making the whole thing insanely frustrating unless you have help is poor design.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

I hope this doesnt get me banned for saying the violent stuff about naga, but this criticism needs to be said.  And I think the wildly emotional angry state will help illustrate how serious it is and the damage it does to players' enjoyment 

• Like 10

I do understand the frustration. Hopefully they will address this issue soon. There has been several topics about fishing and the problems with the fishing party buff, so they should be aware about it now. I doubt this is the way they intended it to work. 

I will say though. Your points are valid but the anger really isn’t necessary to get across to them. Sometimes it’s easier to be seen as serious if you don’t rant about it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Fenom.9457 said:

So you have no choice but to get in the water, except if you do that you have to get back in the boat to keep your fishing part buff or else you'll lose the whole thing, potentially an HOUR of fishing.

This annoys the hell out of me as well, to say the least. They need to allow you to keep your buff for a certain amount of time so you can get rid of those enemies.

8 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

I do understand the frustration. Hopefully they will address this issue soon.

Looking forward to it. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 4

The easiest fix would be to simply attach the Fishing Party buff to the player, rather than the boat, and have it last the standard 30 minutes. Needing to kill stuff is irritating, but in itself is not a problem. Losing the buff while doing so is a design flaw.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Testing how stuff works is hard, I guess.

Your boat retains the buff as long as it's not despawned. And it doesn't despawn until you move some 3500 units away from it. So feel free to kill as many kappas as you desire inbetween engaging with endgame angler content.

You could have saved yourself (and us) this rant if you only bothered to test how the game works.

Edited by rune.9572
  • Confused 6

6 hours ago, rune.9572 said:

Testing how stuff works is hard, I guess.

Your boat retains the buff as long as it's not despawned. And it doesn't despawn until you move some 3500 units away from it. So feel free to kill as many kappas as you desire inbetween engaging with endgame angler content.

You could have saved yourself (and us) this rant if you only bothered to test how the game works.

I know full well how it works, I specifically experience this today.  I get out of the boat - RIGHT beneath it, and the disassociation timer begins immediately.  If it ends the boat disappears and you’re screwed.  You also can’t get too close though or enemy attacks will dragon the boat’s health and again, if it goes away so does your buff 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Fenom.9457 said:

I know full well how it works, I specifically experience this today.  I get out of the boat - RIGHT beneath it, and the disassociation timer begins immediately.  If it ends the boat disappears and you’re screwed.  You also can’t get too close though or enemy attacks will dragon the boat’s health and again, if it goes away so does your buff 

The timer starts, yes. But it doesn't matter really... Like others mentioned, you will not loose the buff unless the skiff despawns. And it despawns when you get too far away, not when timer runs out. There is more than enough range to kill nearby mobs, pick chests or seaweed.

Edited by Yanosh.2631

Yes, the aggro is bit annoying but I either avoid the fishing holes with too many mobs around em or if there's only few I anchor the boat, jump off and kill em, then back to fishing. Kappa pests makes me think it's about either Kaineng or Dragon's End. There's plenty of fishing holes in both areas to skip few unlucky spawns.
Funnily enough I found some core map areas far more annoying with low level kraits, drakes and skelks aggroing my skiff all the time. They really really love hitting it, might have some deep hatred for boats.

Edit for a tip: I've seen lots of ppl using skimmer to move around, which is faster and easier esp on some areas. Finish fishing hole -> mount skimmer & move to next hole -> pop your skiff under the mount & dismount. Also retains the fishing party buff when fast enough. Helps to have skiff selected for the mastery keybinding (default key is "J"). Sadly can't have different keybinds for both fishing and skiff, at least not yet.

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

How about you be a shining example and understand that we are complaining about losing the fishing party buff?

You do not lose the Fishing Party buff even when the timer runs out unless your skiff has been dismissed, destroyed or despawned because you are too far away from it, and there's quite a lot of range before it despawns.
Kind of a design mishap from the devs right there. Imo the 'Losing Association with Skiff' effect should start only when you move too far away from your skiff or when it's dismissed/desroyed.

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

You do not lose the Fishing Party buff even when the timer runs out unless your skiff has been dismissed, destroyed or despawned because you are too far away from it, and there's quite a lot of range before it despawns.
Kind of a design mishap from the devs right there. Imo the 'Losing Association with Skiff' effect should start only when you move too far away from your skiff or when it's dismissed/desroyed.

Can I ask what skin you use for skiffs? Cause I have noticed with the new skin the loosing association countdown starts even when you stand on the bottom of the skiff while in it. And the pre bought skin it starts just as you jump over board. Perhaps this is a skin issue. What range are you experiencing? 

1 minute ago, Freya.9075 said:

Can I ask what skin you use for skiffs? Cause I have noticed with the new skin the loosing association countdown starts even when you stand on the bottom of the skiff while in it. And the pre bought skin it starts just as you jump over board. Perhaps this is a skin issue. What range are you experiencing? 

Currently using the dragon skiff skin but I did buy the new skin too, used it for a while. Found moving on it annoying since have to jump over the benches. You can test the despawn range by moving away from your skiff, I have no idea how to measure it ingame.

Just now, Jukhy.2431 said:

Currently using the dragon skiff skin but I did buy the new skin too, used it for a while. Found moving on it annoying since have to jump over the benches. You can test the despawn range by moving away from your skiff, I have no idea how to measure it ingame.

Hmm yes I see. Thing is with the new skin it despawns even when I stand in it unless I stand on top of the benches. There must be some bug somewhere that creates these issues with the loosing association then. Maybe it’s cause my rat is too small 👀 anyways. Hopefully they will fix this soon 

yes, aggro from mobs should be nerfed, i hate it in more maps like bloodstone fen or in PoF maps, mobs follow you halfway through the map and keep you in combat so you can't mount. i don't see a reason why they follow so far, looks like it's just to make players angry. 

• Confused 2

44 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

Hmm yes I see. Thing is with the new skin it despawns even when I stand in it unless I stand on top of the benches. There must be some bug somewhere that creates these issues with the loosing association then. Maybe it’s cause my rat is too small 👀 anyways. Hopefully they will fix this soon 

That sounds like a bug. My skiff does not despawn when I swim/dive around it even when the Association effect expires. I'll have to test it on the other skiff skins when I'm able.

20 minutes ago, titje.2745 said:

yes, aggro from mobs should be nerfed, i hate it in more maps like bloodstone fen or in PoF maps, mobs follow you halfway through the map and keep you in combat so you can't mount. i don't see a reason why they follow so far, looks like it's just to make players angry. 

A game where the enemies just stand around doing nothing until you come invite them to a little duel is a boring game.

• Confused 1

Another fix possibility : Have the grenade skill one shot everything underwater (beside leviathan / champions & legendaries I guess). You maintain the "tension" of keeping your boat up, but having us move a bit to ball all the enemies and nuke em.
(And make that skill accessible while fishing, like fish radar)