Do you use your Turtle?

I would use my turtle if I could freaking get it.  I been 10days now trying to get the saddle part from the strike mission with no luck.  In those ten days, I only found ONE team that actually went in (LFG) and thee that dumped you if you didnt have legendary gear.  Its a mount that was highly advertised and touted for months before launch....no reason to make getting it dependant on strike missions!! Hey Anet...guess what...not everyone likes strike missons or jumping puzzles.  How about giving us a break and stop gating mounts and 99% of achievements behind them!!!

Ugh...sorry for this rant but Im just so frustrated right now.  There shoulda been some alternative for the turtle mount...like paying gold as an option instead of doing the bloody strike missions.  I admit that part of my issues is that a handicap with my right hand slows me down significantly to the point I will likely never finish the pvp/wvw needed to get the warclaw or the jumping puzzles to get pretty much any achievements requirig them.  I really really wanted the turtle but unless the strike mission requirement is removed or another option given for the parts, I will miss out on a huge part of what convinced me to pre-order EoD.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, bjwhiteda.7645 said:

I would use my turtle if I could freaking get it.  I been 10days now trying to get the saddle part from the strike mission with no luck.  In those ten days, I only found ONE team that actually went in (LFG) and thee that dumped you if you didnt have legendary gear.  Its a mount that was highly advertised and touted for months before launch....no reason to make getting it dependant on strike missions!! Hey Anet...guess what...not everyone likes strike missons or jumping puzzles.  How about giving us a break and stop gating mounts and 99% of achievements behind them!!!

[...]

Sorry, but this reads like some very big exageration. Even in raids no one cares about legendary gear, let alone in strikes, so that claim is highly ulikely. Also there's plenty of groups in the lfg for that strike every day and since there's no timer, you'll get the mission done as long as 3-4 players know what they're doing and finish the mission. Some people dying there and getting carried through is not uncommon.

Just yesterday it was the daily strike and even at 11:30 p.m. when I got home very late that day, I just opened a lfg myself, it filled in a minute (even with asking for certain roles) and that's it.

Ofc there were the typical laserbeam casualties and number-mechanic fails you often see when pugging, but it was still easily done with the remaining 8 ppl. 

So unless you're constantly playing at hard off hours (like 2-3 AM during the week), your post seems pretty made up by bias, not by experience, let alone facts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Nash.2681 said:

Sorry, but this reads like some very big exageration. Even in raids no one cares about legendary gear, let alone in strikes, so that claim is highly ulikely. Also there's plenty of groups in the lfg for that strike every day and since there's no timer, you'll get the mission done as long as 3-4 players know what they're doing and finish the mission. Some people dying there and getting carried through is not uncommon.

Just yesterday it was the daily strike and even at 11:30 p.m. when I got home very late that day, I just opened a lfg myself, it filled in a minute (even with asking for certain roles) and that's it.

Ofc there were the typical laserbeam casualties and number-mechanic fails you often see when pugging, but it was still easily done with the remaining 8 ppl. 

So unless you're constantly playing at hard off hours (like 2-3 AM during the week), your post seems pretty made up by bias, not by experience, let alone facts.

If bjwhiteda has this experience then you have to assume he/she is telling an actual experience. While I had no issue at all getting my Kaineng overlook strike mission for the turtle with pugs, I've seen quite some toxic behaviour towards players who are new to strikes. For some this may be a road block towards getting their Turtle. I would advise bjwhiteda to keep trying. Especially now there are still many groups with new players going for the strike for the turtle.

Quick guide:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I used it on one Echovald night meta, and... that's pretty much it. Cool to whip out now and then, but not really "useful" to me.
Note that I have all the other mounts. I theorize it can have greater utility to accounts that don't have skyscale or griffon or skimmer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

If bjwhiteda has this experience then you have to assume he/she is telling an actual experience. While I had no issue at all getting my Kaineng overlook strike mission for the turtle with pugs, I've seen quite some toxic behaviour towards players who are new to strikes. For some this may be a road block towards getting their Turtle. I would advise bjwhiteda to keep trying. Especially now there are still many groups with new players going for the strike for the turtle.

Quick guide:

Do you really believe he/she got excluded for not having *legendary gear*? Sorry, I certainly don't. There's a lot going on in the lfg, some weird requirements, drama even after the group formed, but never ever in all those almost 10 years I experienced exclusion just because someone doesn't have legendary equipment (which would be incredibly stupid anyway since it's not a µ better than asc. gear). If he/she ranted about LI requirements I hadn't even bothered to reply. You see them every now and then but there's not much one can do about it but open their own lfg. But legendary gear? Come on.

Also claiming there are no groups on lfg is flat out wrong (unless one is playing at extreme off hours, as already mentionend before). There are tons of groups, esp. for Kaineng everyday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/5/2022 at 2:02 PM, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

"You have to assume", except you don't, since nobody checks for legendary gear. That's just not a thing, so naturally it sounds like a very big exaggeration made by someone who didn't exactly experience that sort of "gating", but really wanted to make a story about it, so... Yeah, posession of "legendary gear" sounds like a way someone could gate access to content, right? No, that's just not happening, people just don't check for legendary gear.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

17 hours ago, bjwhiteda.7645 said:

I would use my turtle if I could freaking get it.  I been 10days now trying to get the saddle part from the strike mission with no luck.  In those ten days, I only found ONE team that actually went in (LFG) and thee that dumped you if you didnt have legendary gear. 

I highly doubt you'd be excluded from Strikes for not having Legendary gear. 
If you join a squad that specifically asks for LI while not having LI then they will kick you. Look for squads that don't ask for LI, you'd have more luck. 
Right now I see 3 squads doing Kaineng not asking for any LI.

Its a mount that was highly advertised and touted for months before launch....no reason to make getting it dependant on strike missions!! 

An EoD mount requires you to do EoD content. Be happy that you don't have to do the meta to start the collection anymore.

Hey Anet...guess what...not everyone likes strike missons or jumping puzzles.  How about giving us a break and stop gating mounts and 99% of achievements behind them!!!

Out of all the achievements introduced in EoD maybe 10 are tied to Strikes and Jumping puzzles.
Other than Skyscale no other mount required jumping puzzles either.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Forevereveralone.6385 said:

Cry in not having Turtle yet because I have to fight not just the meta boss but also the connection itself.

It is either the group I joined failed or I dced halfway.

You can now also get it at the vendor (Peddler) in the Dragon's End map. It costs 200 Dragon's End writs and the egg is yours. So you don't need to do the meta boss anymore.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

You can now also get it at the vendor (Peddler) in the Dragon's End map. It costs 200 Dragon's End writs and the egg is yours. So you don't need to do the meta boss anymore.

Yea, I just saw that in another thread. So that's a plus side to all of this failing I guess. Would be nice if I actually get a group to finish it just for once.

Got my turtle last night.

It's... good. Not great, not bad, just good. It won't replace any other mounts for their usage, but it's great to leave the seat open for other players while roaming in the hope for some ad-hoc co-op action. Will see if it gets better when I get the masteries levelled.

I much prefer being a gunner to being the driver right now though as the cannons are more fun to use. Like many others I'm sure the driver would be much more fun if it had access to some kind of weapon too - a front mounted cannon/flamethrower/blaster perhaps.

• Like 1

Imo the concept/idea is cool but Anet seems to be prejudiced by the idea of 'realism' in such items since the introduction of mounts in 2017 had a great response. Fact is: it is no fun to move around and to make a u turn or to play as the driver. Also the concept would be far better if there was a single player mode. The only thing I as the kitten owner of this mount can do is stomp during a fight. Wow...

That said I use it from time to time but they can do better. And please, PLEASE for the sake of the holy trinity and mother maria (I am just bring dramatic italian vibes though I am not): Reduce the momentum (also with skiffs). It's absolutely horrendous to maneuver around.

Also my experience with 2nd players entering: they enter, shoot 5+ cannon shots, see, there's not much else to do and leave. Reason: during a siege you usually won't or can't move around all the time, so why punish a player being not able to use the cannon faster? A good idea maybe would be a siege mode where you get stationary and can 'siege' the Command & Conquer way or like in Starcraft.

• Like 2

Nope. it does not really provide me with anything new other than the guns when you have another player with you.

But the main reason I do not use it, I hate how it feels to control. Only way I can describe it is. Its like you are trying to run, turn, and stop on wet ice. Horrible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

A good idea maybe would be a siege mode where you get stationary and can 'siege' the Command & Conquer way or like in Starcraft.

I've wanted this from the very beginning.

The tradeoffs are built right in - in exchange for not needing a gunner, you lose both mobility and the ability to restock ammo. So charge up, anchor, pop off 5 shots, and get moving again. In particular, the one place you absolutely need turtle cannons is the Aspenwood meta, and staying anchored there is a pretty big risk (just ask all the NPC turtles that die there all the time).

Edited by voltaicbore.8012

On 4/5/2022 at 4:29 PM, Forevereveralone.6385 said:

Yea, I just saw that in another thread. So that's a plus side to all of this failing I guess. Would be nice if I actually get a group to finish it just for once.

I couldn't care less if any group finishes it, personally.  I doubt I will ever do it again, as the game simply doesn't equip most players with the knowledge to consistently perform in this type of "quasi-raid" content.

The player base itself was always a bigger issue than the difficulty of the meta event.

I also feel like the good players are still farming Meta Events in HoT and PoF, but not really bothering with Dragon Stand.  So, you're left with a crap ton of casuals with the safest low-intensity solo builds that always fail the DPS check, and like 3-4 people trying their hardest to will them on (which is cute AF, I'll give 'em that).  Terrible boon coverage, tunneling trash mobs while tons of people lie on the ground trying to self-revive, ignoring bubbles resulting in just a few people running around trying to get them all popped... and ofc when the big mechanics come like 15% of the map instantly dies... 90% of the time.

I cannot.

Edited by Tren.5120
Formatting...

I find the mount is pretty good if you want to take a break from the positioning system. Specially on those bosses you don't have to move much.  It somewhat plays like a tank in the trinity though it does not have agro skill, which they should add.

I pretty much use it all the time as it helps on survival. I'm even going to other expansions with it due to survival in areas that are hard to solo.

I suspect ANET might add a healing and Dps mounts later.   It seems to me to be the next logical steps.