Guild Wars 2 Crashing with Dual monitors, discord and chrome open.

So as of right now I haven't had the crash on a single other game. Currently although my build is getting dated. I haven't played regularly since the end of Season 4. With that, during odd eras that I havent been able to recreate. Guild Wars 2 will crash and cause my monitors to go dark and essentially restart and I have to reload certain programs like iCue which breaks if you breathe on it.

It generally will either crash if I'm trying to use either discord, chrome or randomly when I'm logging out. It's not happening everytime I play but it's certainly annoying and I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue especially with the new expansion being out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I play with dual monitors.

I have GW2 on the left one while on the right I will have discord open and chrome running. Most of the time chrome is running youtube or GW2 wiki while I'm playing. I use some overlays via Blish Hud.  Never once has the game crashed and my monitors 'restart'. I have had a few Kicked to character screen but nothing since EoD statred.

Edited by Eziair.2509

9 hours ago, wanya.1697 said:

you could try to rename the bin folder so you get a new version
maybe try to deactivate overlays (one you might not think about is from microsoft xbox gaming or so)

Yeah so far it hasn't been as rampart, I've had to disable Xbox mostly because it keeps having its own bugs. Not sure on the bin thing, I've had to move GW2 recently but that only has done so much as improved my load times.

17 hours ago, Haru.1453 said:

Guild Wars 2 Crashing with Dual monitors, discord and chrome open.

I doubt those programs in combination with GW2 are the cause.

While the following guide was made to troubleshoot any DX11 issues in the past, the steps listed are also valid for troubleshooting other problems, so please try them out:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/102067-guide-dx11-update-quick-troubleshooting/

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar problems. 

Running GW2 in windowed mode on one of my two monitors. 

After some time FPS drops (<10) and the secondary monitor gets disconnected while the main monitor restarts. 

Sometimes GW2 even crashes to desktop.

Bringing GW2 to fullscreen restores FPS, but problem with secondary monitor stays. 

Strange: When leaving the window by clicking on Desktop or another Window the FPS goes back up until I click into GW2 Window again.

I haven't played for a while so this started for me with the update for end of Dragons.

@Ashantara.8731 Thanks for the Link. I tried it, but it did not help.

I already installed All Windows updates and updated my NVidia Drivers. Also Graphics Card and CPU are far from being fully utilized.

18 hours ago, Troubadix.4981 said:

@Ashantara.8731 Thanks for the Link. I tried it, but it did not help.

Did you try a system file check to repair possible driver corruption issues? (read below)

[...] I recommend you execute these simple steps:

• Open the Command Prompt: CMD --> Run as Administrator
  • type: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (wait for it to finish)
  • type: SFC /scannow (wait for it to finish)
  • Exit the Command Prompt once done, restart your PC.

This can solve most problems related to faulty system files or drivers.

Side note: I generally recommend you make regular backups of the Windows partition so that you can go back to an earlier, healthy state of the OS in case something breaks. Also, only install system-related stuff on C : , put your games, non-system related programs, personal files etc on a separate partition.

(Source)

Edited by Ashantara.8731

On 3/29/2022 at 8:23 AM, Haru.1453 said:

So as of right now I haven't had the crash on a single other game. Currently although my build is getting dated. I haven't played regularly since the end of Season 4. With that, during odd eras that I havent been able to recreate. Guild Wars 2 will crash and cause my monitors to go dark and essentially restart and I have to reload certain programs like iCue which breaks if you breathe on it.

It generally will either crash if I'm trying to use either discord, chrome or randomly when I'm logging out. It's not happening everytime I play but it's certainly annoying and I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue especially with the new expansion being out.

Try disabling Discord overlay and/or iCue. Both can cause instability in a bunch of things, discord especially as it hooks the client.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Holgarf.6581 said:

Try disabling Discord overlay and/or iCue. Both can cause instability in a bunch of things, discord especially as it hooks the client.

It shouldn't be able to literally turn off the monitor, though. All it can do is create a black screen, but not cut the power to the monitor as if there was no signal.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/11/2022 at 1:06 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

It shouldn't be able to literally turn off the monitor, though. All it can do is create a black screen, but not cut the power to the monitor as if there was no signal.

The only other possibility, assuming other games don't do it, is a driver issue relative to the game. But remember that many apps these days with graphical UIs are hardware rendered using the GPU (or integrated graphics). So it could be some kind of interaction between your dual monitor setup and Discord or any other app for that matter.

1 hour ago, Holgarf.6581 said:

The only other possibility, assuming other games don't do it, is a driver issue relative to the game. But remember that many apps these days with graphical UIs are hardware rendered using the GPU (or integrated graphics). So it could be some kind of interaction between your dual monitor setup and Discord or any other app for that matter.

Why mine? :classic_blink: You've got the wrong person, I'm not the OP. :classic_wink:

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...