March 29 Patch Notes : Ranger Changes

Sandzibar.5134

If want a serious take, I think it's because they seriously fear pets and have no idea how to balance all of them (never have).  There's also the issue of Soulbeast straight up being superior in every way to the Untamed, which is bad, because Untamed has no use.  They also can't nerf Soulbeast to promote Untamed without looking REALLY bad. 

So...they just leave everything as is and hope the playerbase doesn't notice one profession just missing from the notes.

Surprise...we noticed.  

1 hour ago, Khenzy.9348 said:

Couldn't they just tells us that? That they are working on it? How hard can that be? Instead we get absolute silence.

No, because they would get burned by players whining "You said...."   This silences helps to prevent them from making promises that they may not be able to keep.

1 hour ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Wow I guess the 'Unplayed' meme became a reality with this patch. 

Not even a note that says 'hey we're aware but are going to make bigger changes later', just literal exclusion.  

Yeah, they couldn't even bother to say something. 

Watch them nerf SBeast somehow at the end. 

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

No, because they would get burned by players whining "You said...."   This silences helps to prevent them from making promises that they may not be able to keep.

You start from the assumption that saying "we are aware of your concerns regarding the Untamed" will be interpreted as a 'promise' towards the players and that they, consequently, will reprimand the developers for it. That's a bit of a stretch don't you think?

Lack of communication is their current issue in regards to Untamed, plain and simple.

• Confused 1

No change is better than bad changes I guess.

Everyone was expecting Shout warrior healing nerfs for pvp and instead got buffed, so when I see that I said... oh my they nerfed untamed for sure if they are random balancing like this.

Luckily they didn't. 

In June we will have the big update regarding spirits and banners, so probably that will be the crucial patch or us ranger mains.

• Like 2

I was really surprised to see a lack of untamed damage and/or defiance bar improvement changes in this patch. I suppose it's meant only for PVP but even then it isn't commonly seen.

For WVW however, it is going to remain a weak choice in any group using veil/stealth gyro so long as you can't stow pet in combat.

12 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

For WVW however, it is going to remain a weak choice in any group using veil/stealth gyro so long as you can't stow pet in combat.

The existence of a pet in the first place makes it a subpar choice even with a permastow.

It says a lot when simply removing the pet and adding the unleashed pet skills to the bar in similar fashion to a merged soulbeast would make the spec useable, probably even decent (but likely still subpar).

Edited by Lazze.9870

"Vigorous Shouts and Call of Valor are also being enhanced in PvP as we look to make support warrior more competitive with guardian and tempest support builds."

Good thing they keep acknowledging that the support spec that druid is isn't supposed to be a competetively viable support spec.

How on earth can you make an elite spec based mostly around healing and keep neglecting it every single time you're adressing support builds outside of pve?

Looking forwards to several years of Untamed not being improved to fit the role of a team bruiser. Same old dance.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Lévis.5489 said:

Maybe there's a reason why we never see an untamed or a druid in open world and all you can see are rangers or soulbeasts. I wonder why.

I used to run general-purpose weird hybrid druid build in open world up untill recently, but since untamed came out I decided try out supplanting druid with soulbeast for a very same-ish weird hybrid build....

So far it seems to perform better with only drawback being slightly less mobility than druid, and having to merge on every map change to mantain running speed I've got used to.

(wtb druid revamp)

13 hours ago, Lazze.9870 said:

"Vigorous Shouts and Call of Valor are also being enhanced in PvP as we look to make support warrior more competitive with guardian and tempest support builds."

Good thing they keep acknowledging that the support spec that druid is isn't supposed to be a competetively viable support spec.

How on earth can you make an elite spec based mostly around healing and keep neglecting it every single time you're adressing support builds outside of pve?

Looking forwards to several years of Untamed not being improved to fit the role of a team bruiser. Same old dance.

This is the weirdest part of the post. The first full support spec this game ever introduced got nerfed into irrelevance in competitive modes, but it's more important to bring Warrior up to Tempest and Guardian stardards support-wise? Who initially plays a Warrior to support others? What about my beloved Druid? What kind of priorities do they even have? 

15 hours ago, Lazze.9870 said:

It says a lot when simply removing the pet and adding the unleashed pet skills to the bar in similar fashion to a merged soulbeast would make the spec useable, probably even decent (but likely still subpar).

That’s kinda how I feel about Untamed.

Ranger got a ton of cool utilities and skills they didn’t have before. Blink, bubble, boon removal, boon corruption, “mobile” PBAoE (ie, not locked in place nearly as much compared to traps, Axe5, Worldly Impact, etc), Ambush skills. But the fact that all that has to come with the rest of Untamed feels so disappointing.

If we got a new elite mechanic that actually felt meaningful, it would feel a lot better in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AlexndrTheGreat.8310 said:

That’s kinda how I feel about Untamed.

Ranger got a ton of cool utilities and skills they didn’t have before. Blink, bubble, boon removal, boon corruption, “mobile” PBAoE (ie, not locked in place nearly as much compared to traps, Axe5, Worldly Impact, etc), Ambush skills. But the fact that all that has to come with the rest of Untamed feels so disappointing.

If we got a new elite mechanic that actually felt meaningful, it would feel a lot better in my opinion.

Could be interesting if they merge the functionality of Untamed and Soulbeast. 

So, keep the Unleashed Ambush skills and Unleashed Pet skills but have the Unleashed Pet skills on the ranger's bar when you use Unleash (so just one Unleash now, on or off).  When the ranger unleashes, pet goes away; and I'd merge the functionality of hammer together into one (so no more bar swap, a its confusing and a problem competitively as you lose all damage for CC at times).  

Can keep all the trait buffs for pets and keep the full pet control when they are out, but repeating for the thousandth time--with some of the pet abilities able to be auto-cast.  Then, Untamed basically becomes Soulbeast + Core instead of Core+ which I personally think makes it way more useable without an entire pet rework.  

If you do all that, then you only really have to tune soulbeast merged modifiers a bit (not that I personally want to see them nerfed, but might be needed) and then tune Untamed modifiers a bit to bascially make the specs even.  You'd run Soulbeast if you want stuff like Prelude Lash and Worldly Impact, and run Untamed if you want the boon rip / denial / etc. that comes with the unleashed stuff.  

• Like 1