Competitive Balance

knite.1542

There are a range of nerfs to Firebrand and Scrapper in WvW. I'd have liked to see some efforts to boost Specter's issues with boon application (given we don't bring AoE cleanse or super speed to the table) but at least this puts Specter more in the running for larger scale wvw support play. 

It also looks like they spent a lot more effort overall on Elementalist (for good reason) so I'd imagine the larger scale balance changes are waiting for the bigger patch later in Spring.

9 minutes ago, saerni.2584 said:

Specter's issues with boon application (given we don't bring AoE cleanse or super speed to the table) but at least this puts Specter more in the running for larger scale wvw support play. 

Its not just boon application, relying on slow casting shadowsteps for healing just isnt viable for healing in a zerg. Theyll be long gone by the time it lands.

22 minutes ago, ixon.2496 said:

Its not just boon application, relying on slow casting shadowsteps for healing just isnt viable for healing in a zerg. Theyll be long gone by the time it lands.

In practice it is actually quite effective. Most heals have some limited AoE range and the teleport based mechanic works to put the Specter where the people needing heals are. 

It does rely on people sticking to a target like a tag effectively. And that is always a problem in wvw when people die off tag (or the tag isn't communicating and people get left behind because the tag is going in 5 different directions at once and people can't keep up). 

The only major issues with the teleport healing mechanic are animation delays in casting Wells and bugs on some weapon skills not triggering both traits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saerni.2584 said:

In practice it is actually quite effective. Most heals have some limited AoE range and the teleport based mechanic works to put the Specter where the people needing heals are. 

It does rely on people sticking to a target like a tag effectively. And that is always a problem in wvw when people die off tag (or the tag isn't communicating and people get left behind because the tag is going in 5 different directions at once and people can't keep up). 

The only major issues with the teleport healing mechanic are animation delays in casting Wells and bugs on some weapon skills not triggering both traits.

Why take a theif when you have free movement on medkit and toolbelt heals as a scrapper. Instead of having to port. 

31 minutes ago, ixon.2496 said:

Why take a theif when you have free movement on medkit and toolbelt heals as a scrapper. Instead of having to port. 

If they're talking about Wells, that's like having two or three Vaults to place yourself quickly. You can trait to heal on Shadowstep but even without that they'll place you where you need to be, or ahead of it, right now instead of freely moving across a fights and you can still heal after placement. 

38 minutes ago, kash.9213 said:

If they're talking about Wells, that's like having two or three Vaults to place yourself quickly. You can trait to heal on Shadowstep but even without that they'll place you where you need to be, or ahead of it, right now instead of freely moving across a fights and you can still heal after placement. 

Honestly ive found it leaving me out of place more often than not, especially in the heat of a fight  the wind up time to the port means you have to be predictive rather than reactive, which in a blob fight can change in a second or less.

Honestly id love this to work, but as large group support it just feels clunky to me.

1 minute ago, ixon.2496 said:

Honestly ive found it leaving me out of place more often than not, especially in the heat of a fight  the wind up time to the port means you have to be predictive rather than reactive, which in a blob fight can change in a second or less.

Honestly id love this to work, but as large group support it just feels clunky to me.

They do need to be snappier, especially considering the short range and lack of terrain negotiation. I also don't think the devs understand how quick people and some squads can be with their lockdowns. Wells are short range and are too slow to execute to get away from players and groups, and they can't even be used to light up walls. They're still good and I like the placement and orientation even if they're not super fast, but if I get focused they're not going to do a lot for me. 

Sneak nerfs in newest patch:

• Specter (PvP Only):
    • Hungering Darkness: Increased pulse interval from 1 second to 3 seconds. Increased base barrier and healing from 517 to 773. Increased barrier and healing attribute scaling from 0.2 to 0.3.
    • Twilight Combo: Increased initiative cost from 4 to 5. Reduced first projectile power coefficient from 1.5 to 1.3. Reduced chill duration from 3 seconds to 2 seconds. Reduced poison and torment duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds.
    • Siphon: Reduced shadow force gained from 25% to 15%. Reduced slow duration from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.

Fitting for thieves too. Striking when you least expect it.

• 2 weeks later...