Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

YES THERE HAS BEEN A DEV RESPONSE. PLEASE READ THE THREAD BEFORE ASKING. THANK YOU.

Since the SAB patch, occasionally when I switch characters, the loading screen art doesn't show, and it will be an infinite loading screen.

Edit: This morning I actually get some loading screen art, but it's still a gamble as to whether it's an infinite load or not. Have to restart my client every time I want to change characters. Not a fun experience.

Edited by Miss Lana.5276
  • Like 10

Same. It does eventually load, after a long time, but I can't move, can't use skills, can't see most of the things in inventory. And when I tried loading in Mistlock Observatory, I got this really weird skybox:

https://imgur.com/a/5qwsCxk

Edit: actually, maybe my character is moving, just that my client doesn't register it. I tried logging into SAB and moving around, and got the world 1 entry box popping up even though I still appeared to be standing (invisibly) near the entrance.

Edited by mezuzel.4987
  • Like 1

after patch launched i relaunched logged on and played a bit of SAB, i then  logged off after 5-10min exiting first logging out in rata sum, i am now trying to log back in and i choose my main char which i logged out on and it just keeps me in the loading screen, i assume it is similar to this issue or might even linked / connected, i cannot play the game it seems as for now sadge. 

few details to it, normally it takes less than 1-2min to launch game, char selection, and then being inside the game even at places like the mistlock sanctuary which usually takes a bit longer to load.

i now had the game open for 10+ min and still is in loading screen.

i can see the screen loading, i can hear the sounds, client itself is not frozen just stuck in a loop it seems.

Edited by Noobondrugs.8320

I'm trying to go into my home instance, and only get an infinite loading screen.  

Edit: I got in finally. It took about 5 minutes to get into the home instance. Have a feeling tonight is not the night to do something important in-game.

Edited by darksome.1697

Had the same thing happen on the first character I loged in with.

Restarting the game would not help.

Runing the game with -repair seemed to fix it at first, but then it happened again...

However, a client restart when swapping character seems to keep the loadingscreen bug away at least.

I have a RX 5700XT GPU and AMD Ryzen 3700X and didn't have any issue before this patch with black screens. Basically unable to play at the moment.  

I do have 25 characters on the account.

Edited by dmone.5631
  • Like 1

Same here. I thought it was my connection for some reason but I see I'm not the only one having this issue. As described previously, I load in with one character, all is good, then switch to another and suddenly infinite loading screen. It does not always happen after the first switch. It can happen after I switch 2 or 3 times.

• Like 1

Happens for me, too. Every time I swap characters I get stuck in a loading screen, in addition to the character select artwork not loading.

Edit: To add info and consensus to what everyone else is saying, I also have a lot of characters on my account (52 characters).

Edited by shatteringglass.3974
  • Like 1

Happening here too. Switch characters and just spins on a black screen, just showing map info and the yellow loading icon. Turned on dx11 and the first time worked, second time as well.

Not sure if I was just lucky or if this is a dx9 problem.

Spoke too soon - switched after 30 minutes on one character and it's showing the loading art, map info and the spinning yellow load icon.  Took 3 minutes to load, the minimap is messed up and any load screen is the same long long load. Totally messed up.

If you have the debug info on for map loading, you can see it loads to 90% - slows to 100% - and then you can see the model loading EXTREMELY slow, like 1 model every few seconds.

Edited by Friggarn.9451
update again
  • Like 2

Since the SAB patch was loaded on 29th,GW2 loads game graphic with extreme loadtimes (60 secs+) . Changing characters leads to loss of  menu background and character avatars in select screen

GForce 1060 6GB (newest Driver : 512 )., Radeon 5 3900, 32 GB of RAM, dual screen, running in 1080p, windowed mode. Running from SSD. Up until patch everything worked perfectly fine at highest setting. Cache is mostly empty ( ca 30MB ), Game has been "repaired". Game atm is mostly unplayable since character change requires complete log out and log in. 
Either repatch or offer a solution on how to eliminate themassive problem

Edited by achwas.6190
  • Like 2

I am having the same problem, especially with Crystal Oasis and Draconis Mons. When I try to load a new character it is taking at least a minute for the map to load.

This is on a Geforce 3090 and AMD 3900 with 32 GB of RAM and a PCIE 4 4TB NVME drive.

Note: This only seems to affect one of my four accounts. All four accounts have EOD.

The account the problem occurs on has max characters (72?). The other accounts have 20 or so characters.

Edited by Glass Hand.7306

My experience from the other thread:

Happening here too. Switch characters and just spins on a black screen, just showing map info and the yellow loading icon. Turned on dx11 and the first time worked, second time as well.

Not sure if I was just lucky or if this is a dx9 problem.

Spoke too soon - switched after 30 minutes on one character and it's showing the loading art, map info and the spinning yellow load icon.  Took 3 minutes to load, the minimap is messed up and any load screen is the same long long load. Totally messed up.

If you have the debug info on for map loading, you can see it loads to 90% - slows to 100% - and then you can see the model loading EXTREMELY slow, like 1 model every few seconds.

I have the same:

loading screen: half my toons are black, or dissapear.

I log in, barely, and :   im stuck, cant move, cant see skills.

Maybe i cant log in also.

It happened starting today.

I have 2 pcs, in both same issue, only in my account with EoD. MY other account with No EoD = perfect everything.

• Thanks 1