Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

49 minutes ago, GothicDarkSoul.5307 said:

This issue only just now hit me, and I am livid about it. While I know for some people this issue was around before EoD or SAB, but it vanished with the updates since the release of EoD. With me, it only started happening in the last hour. I have all expansions up to and including EoD, I do not run DX11 with the game although it is on my machine by default, I have over 30 characters and only this one account. I have always run the game as an admin, and my antivirus has been warded off of anything GW2 that I could find on my machine. I run Windows 10.

That's consistent with several other people, I'm sorry, you're experiencing it now too.

14 minutes ago, Little Leota.5849 said:

Well, SAB ends tomorrow.  My guess (my hope?) is that the bug will be "fixed" with that.  I guess we'll see.

Same. Someone a few pages back was saying we have an axe to grind against SAB-- I just want my game to go back to normal, and I really hope with SAB ending tomorrow, that the bug goes with it too because if that doesn't happen, then we're still stuck with it for who knows how much longer.  At least if it disappears with SAB then the bug will be narrowed down, right?

I switch characters ALOT, whether due to alt parking, farming, comp adjustments for fractals and strikes, etc., but that's been on hold the last few weeks.

• Like 1

I expect it to go back to normal because they will have fixed the bug (hopefully), not because SAB has ended.

Tell me, all the people who think SAB somehow caused this, why didn't it happen the last few years with SAB. Actually, don't. I don't think I can handle the mental gymnastics, lol.

In the end, assuming it does get fixed with tomorrow's patch, I'm still quite disappointed that this issue persisted for 3 weeks. I've played gw2 since launch and this is probably the worst experience I've had with the game in 9 years.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jdeshano.7592 said:

At least if it disappears with SAB then the bug will be narrowed down, right?

Not even in the slightest. You realise they've already said in this thread they nearly have a fix ready, right? Aka it has nothing to do with SAB unless you literally think them turning off SAB is their fix they've been working on? 

Tomorrow's patch isnt just turning off SAB. Its adding a strike CM and LS1 episode 1, along with what I assume will be a lot of fixes, including one for this bug I hope.

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, Amurond.4590 said:

Not even in the slightest. You realise they've already said in this thread they nearly have a fix ready, right? Aka it has nothing to do with SAB unless you literally think them turning off SAB is their fix they've been working on? 

Tomorrow's patch isnt just turning off SAB. Its adding a strike CM and LS1 episode 1, along with what I assume will be a lot of fixes, including one for this bug I hope.

honestly call me a life-worn cynic - but  words are cheap, actually solving the problem is not. There are lots of bugs in the game unfixed after several years, they needed weeks to fix the necro PC's mounting killed all minions back in the fall of 2021, still have not fixed  zip lines killing all minions necromantic since EoD came out ........and given their lack of enthusiasm to communicate on this bug, I do not think they are "certain" at all.
If I had the proverbial  Euro for every time someone on my partner's software developing team said " I think we have fixed the bug" but then hadn't, we could go on a long trip around the world

Edited by achwas.6190
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silver.9710 said:

Although characters are still taking an unusual time to load in their portraits, as well as the background & selected character on screen, I'm fully able to login, and change character regardless of them showing or not. 

same problem here - 30 secs+ for char screen but atm it loads after a while... (from an SSD) - esp the background take an unusual time to load

well faster load times when it loads; did not see an extended preview load time.  i for one am still getting the following when changing maps (and yes I would get this on selecting a toon right out of the char select) - resulting in the game crashing out

The game client lost its connection to the server. Please wait a few minutes before restarting the client and try again. (Code=7:11:3:202:101)

Edited by vee.5609

Working for me now thankfully. I was getting it almost every character select prior to the patch.

The portrait load times do seem slower than previously, but at least they do actually load. But to be honest, that doesn't really matter - they don't need to load for me to log into a character now.

Edited by Amurond.4590

Can confirm the issue is fixed, maybe some load times are a little longer, but personally im not seeing a massive change. On another note: the jade tech charges and buffs are not kept upon entering mistlock sanctuary and armistice bastion which may be an oversight since they work in the other open world lounges. I think it’s because the jade tech mastery isn’t enabled in those lounges.

4 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

This update should have fixed this bug. It looks like some of you are still running into it, so I'm alerting people right now. 

If any of you were experiencing this bug and it has resolved with this update, please let me know! 

Thank you 😄

none of you having to still alt-f4 after toon swapping and getting the nag screen of game client lost connection and a white screen of death (even changing maps causes it)?  I've seen this happen daily as of the SAB patch, either this or the infinite load times...

Edited by vee.5609