Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey all. I know this bug is really frustrating. We have an engineer working on it, so a fix is actively being worked on and in progress. Thanks for hanging in there, and we're apologize that this b

Good morning!! I'm sorry I missed this, everyone, but I just checked in on it and people are looking into it. I'll keep an eye on things and update you as soon as I can.

Hi all, I did some looking around on this to see if I could give an update. (Yep, I'm here this week! 😄 ) This is another of those weird bugs where the problem isn't immediately obvious, so like the e

15 hours ago, Lillis.9473 said:

Today, for the first time, I got the bug upon logging into the game.  It doesn't even require a map or character switch anymore.

Got it just now on coming back from a vet kill in WvW for dailies. Loaded back to Tyria timberline map on leaving Wvw with missing graphics and icons, and stuck half way into floor 🙂. Map black with only poi/wp/vista. Had to restart that account in gw2launcher. kept the other 2 accounts running fine.

19 hours ago, evlover.6270 said:

There are so many pointless updates in the "Latest news" section when logging in, why not put a message in there saying "dealing with persistant bug that causes character swapping issues" so everyone is aware that the issue is not on their end?

This is actually a great idea. Many game launchers have notifications like this, it really helps but I have never seen Anet do this, their communication is god awful.

• Like 4

I'm wondering if we're supposed to twiddle our thumbs and wait for next Tuesday and hope SAB going away fixes this issue.  Is Anet hoping that too?  Should we expect an issue when Dragon Bash hits?  Tell us something.  I feel like many of us are being punished for spending money at this point....

• Like 5

Found a fix and hope it helps.
I usually run settings on max and that lags the character screen and loads the character portraits slowly and then sometimes it hangs and the issue happens.
So what you need to do is have the game detect the video settings on its own and leave them to that.
That way even if you can run at higher graphics but the game thinks you need to run at lower settings.
That setting the game automatically picks will make your character portraits load fast and you wont have the issue anymore.

Another fix is to change your Frame Limiter in the game settings to unlimited, that will make portraits load very vast.

Edited by boxterduke.5269
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, boxterduke.5269 said:

Another fix is to change your Frame Limiter in the game settings to unlimited, that will make portraits load very vast.

Not really. This is my standard setting and i also have this bug every time i switch characters.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, boxterduke.5269 said:

I usually run settings on max and that lags the character screen and loads the character portraits slowly and then sometimes it hangs and the issue happens.
So what you need to do is have the game detect the video settings on its own and leave them to that.
That way even if you can run at higher graphics but the game thinks you need to run at lower settings.
That setting the game automatically picks will make your character portraits load fast and you wont have the issue anymore.

Not help for me still stop loading at character screen.

21 hours ago, boxterduke.5269 said:

Some mentioned it the other way around - that the problem would happen more often with lower settings lol

Also I play always with unlimited FPS, still running into the problem all the time.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Amurond.4590 said:

In a few hours, it will be 2 weeks since this bug started. Any update?

you must be kidding. But I guess the "one engineer is enough" faction will stick to their guns as long as they are not affected

• Like 3
On 4/11/2022 at 10:38 AM, The Urps.8379 said:

If this problem ever gets fixed. I get the impression that this bug is of no real importance to Arenanet, hence the lackluster communication. 

EoD had a great start, even though there were a lot of bugs, but they started to fix those right away, but this ... this is just sad. Especially while this bug keeps people from actively participating in the festival. 

For the time being I will take my money elswhere, as I don't feel valued as a player, or customer for that matter.

Well even if they do not get it fixed (honestly two weeks ?) the by now typical non-reaction by the "community management" is equally galling.
"You have a bug - we know, but why do damage control ?"

• Like 4

As someone who plays in multiple sessions a day, and switch character often for wvw/pvp and for pve as I am farming/working towards a gen2, this bug is screaming at my face multiple times a day. While I can understand bugs might take time as we don't know how many cans of worms have been opened, I simply wish we have some form of status report/coomunication to sooth our souls, or to set the proper expectations.

Having 2 comments, one was "oops missed this", and one "working on it", are a little too few and makes everyone even more agitated. Please communicate. The players are much better at understanding the tech side of the challenges than a decade ago.

• Like 5
On 4/11/2022 at 7:55 PM, boxterduke.5269 said:

Thanks. It works for me. After 2 weeks I could login to all 55 characters on my main with 1 restart what is normal. I used Unlimited Frame and Autodetect on Setting Preset.

Edited by fpisti.5631
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, fpisti.5631 said:

Thanks. It works for me. After 2 weeks I could login to all 55 characters on my main with 1 restart what is normal. I used Unlimited Frame and Autodetect on Setting Preset.

Listen, I know it feels good now. I'm sorry to tell you it will not last. Pretty much changing the graphics does sometimes give us some hope that it's "fixed" - but it will return. I had ~10 bad restarts last night and decided to make my window smaller. It loaded like 10+ characters in a row.  Even I know that was probably a placebo, and the problem will return. Everyone posting "fixes" -- it's just Copium. We're just going to have to wait til next Tuesday when SAB is gone. Maybe it will be fixed. Learn to live with your new normal.

• Like 4
On 4/11/2022 at 12:42 PM, Jae.1973 said:

I'm wondering if we're supposed to twiddle our thumbs and wait for next Tuesday and hope SAB going away fixes this issue.  Is Anet hoping that too?  Should we expect an issue when Dragon Bash hits?  Tell us something.  I feel like many of us are being punished for spending money at this point....

Will it be a surprise "we have fixed the character switching issue" when SAB is removed? 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Demalii.9435 said:

Will it be a surprise "we have fixed the character switching issue" when SAB is removed? 

Considering they just phase things out after a festival we probably won't even be allowed to have a notice...
Just showing that ANet really doesn't care anymore... It is all about money money money.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, trouble.3562 said:

they don't care

they aren't competent to fix it 😞  (at least not in :  1 engineer in the past 2 weeks).

3rd option ?

Third option is that they've lost communication/staff responsible for PR/forum moderation so they're not prioritising this. 

I'm guessings all of the above. The fact I had different people responding to my ticket, overriding other admin leads me to think that we're getting this lack of rresponse from people who were not partt of the original team of gw2, the ones we're used to seeing. 

This would explain why some people defend/begging them, but others are ripping them apart. 

Clearly the anet team members who do care are being unable to do anytthing, so we might as well talk to the ones who think they know the community better and hit them where it hurts - tell the media, don't use buy or use your gems and then see if they care. 

• Like 2

Still happening, seems to be getting worse too.  Used to be able to log out, wait 10 seconds, then select character  and be just fine.  Now I just get a black s creen and some characters not loading at all.  Have 55 characters.

On 4/6/2022 at 1:35 PM, phantom.1675 said:

Does everyone think 9 women working together can have a baby in 1 month too?

Well actually, after the initial 9 or so month wait, you technically could get something that takes 9 months to happen once per month.  You'd just need 12 of whatever produces what you're after.  I get what you're saying here though. (Yet I do believe a better comparison would be "Does everyone think 5 musicians could play a 5 minute musical piece in one minute if they all played it together?")

• Like 1

Happens for me. This is my gw2 log. ... is a loop of the local array to Auth server returned response 0. 
Here's an image of mapinfo when hung. https://imgur.com/a/Ph142Rm

00249551: Debug: MapLoader: Completed STATE_MAP_ASSET_STREAM
00349442: Perf: Upcasting vertices from rigid to skinned during mesh combine.
00351374: Perf: Model: Local array switched to heap memory
00351374: Perf: Model: Local array switched to heap memory
00352559: Perf: Model: Local array switched to heap memory
00352559: Perf: Model: Local array switched to heap memory
00352740: Debug: Material expected 2 textures but got 4.
00357408: Perf: Model: Local array switched to heap memory
00361691: Perf: Model: Local array switched to heap memory
00366941: Debug: Gc::GcAuthCmdNotifyProc: code 4
00366941: Debug: Auth server returned response 0
00368925: Perf: Model: Local array switched to heap memory
00369118: Perf: Model: Local array switched to heap memory
00369576: Error: Map load hang on STATE_AGENT_STREAM detected: IsWorldReady: 0, CharLoadingCount 1
00369799: Debug: MapLoader: Completed STATE_AGENT_STREAM
00369801: Debug: Material expected 1 textures but got 2.
00369824: Debug: Preallocated 31296KB of index and vertex buffers.
00369897: Debug: Material expected 1 textures but got 4.
00370601: Debug: MapLoader: Completed STATE_READY_WAIT
00370601: Debug: MsCli MsgSendAgentsLoaded: Context Map Id: 1052
00370681: Debug: GameView: view changed to gameplay

Yes, I realize it says completed, but the camera is not attached to a character. The model of the character has not loaded, though the character walks around and uses skills. Majority of the UI graphics are not present, skill bar icons, window backgrounds, etc. 

Edit: Additionally, I'd like to report that I have 23 characters.
It takes about 5.5 minutes to load into the broken gameplay state from the black character select screen. 
If I login to an account with 5 characters I can freely swap between all characters rapidly.

Edited by Distillia.9834
2 hours ago, Amber Evotion.5910 said:

Third option is that they've lost communication/staff responsible for PR/forum moderation so they're not prioritising this. 

In fact, i saw on twitter that Rubi was not in the office last week. So i guess that is why we had worse feedback recently. But maybe she can say something now? Just a little update maybe?

• Like 2