Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

Hmm this thread is now third in most pages, yet still no pin or decent response. My guess they were hoping to hide and hope it could be fixed before it became a recognised issue. They are willing to pin errors for DX11 beta but not actual game?

Also, some people are getting bit snippy about sample sizes and what not. Its not a terrible idea to at least brainstorm, and even if you don't like the ideas or they're not sound, doesn't mean people should be shut down for speaking up. 

At the same time, lets be proud we haven't had a single conspiracy nut somehow link it to 5G or the Illuminati (yet).🙂 

I do, however hope it's linked to SAB if for the faint hope that it'll fix itself when the festival ends. Common sense doesn't have to be a factor in blind hope. Amber prays to the Prismatic Dragon for this all to end...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Had the issue on a Heroic account I got from Prime Gaming.   Have 1 level 80 on there and do a key run character once a week.  NEVER been to SAB and still got the create character issue to do a character.  Took 4 attempts to create one....   so all this about it happens if go to SAB is crap.     

In my company if something was broken for this long someone would be in a lot of trouble...     but hey there obviously isn't a dev who can deal with this... perhaps the ones who could left...     or the 1 person looking at it does so when get a moment or two and not a focus...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DJhell.1270 said:

Hi folks,

i've a workaround - working for me (dx11/w10) 😉  - i want to share.

If any of your small character icons on is loaded whilst the others don't and login-screen background stays black:
Pick the leftmost shown character and log in.
This results in the known infinite loading screen and i terminate the game ~30s later (wait a little, else the game does not put your picked char on the first in line).

After a new started game, the last picked char is the left in the line, loads and "chainloads" all other chars and then the login-screen background. After this i can login whith whatever char i want (until next switch ofc).

HTH

So your workaround is to restart the client. Like everyone here has already been doing. Waiting longer for icons to load once before restart doesn't change anything - except that you've wasted more time.

16 hours ago, Distillia.9834 said:

Do not wait,  you know it won't load. If you don't see character portraits loading consistently, just log out

See, this is the only good advice in this situation. Everything else is placebo. Everything else.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Per their update not long ago, we won't get ANY word until after the 18th.  Since there will be a patch Tuesday, maybe we just need to pray to RNGesus  (seems as good as anything at this point) that the patch will somehow untangle whatever happened.  I know nothing about coding magic, so happy twiddling until the 19th.

37 minutes ago, Jae.1973 said:

Per their update not long ago, we won't get ANY word until after the 18th.  Since there will be a patch Tuesday, maybe we just need to pray to RNGesus  (seems as good as anything at this point) that the patch will somehow untangle whatever happened.  I know nothing about coding magic, so happy twiddling until the 19th.

With this in tow, and if this is something to expect for any festival onwards (as they cannot seem to find the issue) we should be getting an option to opt-out of festivals updates, as sucky as it sounds, but I am not going through the festivals anymore if I have to expect this "Nonesense" to occurs everytime.

Unless ANet is willing to give every accounts affected (with more than 5-7 characters) an equal sum of gems for each of the extra character slots "as a collateral damage" for not investigating this.
(Yes in my case that would be a compensation of 51,200 gems (monetary conversion to 640$ (Which at this amount make you really question what they are doing while having this much support but still claiming to doing bad financially??)), which is a metric ton (and they probably won't do it OBVIOUSLY, but this the minimum I would be willing to accept IF we were into a lawsuit action case which fortunately I am currently not willing to do); BUT this bug has become a huge toll for me to be able to grade this game from Recommendable to Non-Recommendable).

Edited by KurokouNekoki.7891

42 minutes ago, Jae.1973 said:

For those who haven't seen it yet, there's a new blog post stating the studio is on vacation this week:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-studio-update-april-2022/

1 minute ago, mezuzel.4987 said:

For those who haven't seen it yet, there's a new blog post stating the studio is on vacation this week:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-studio-update-april-2022/

It is very hard to miss as they do seem to finally be able to communicate when it comes down to that sort of information *rollseyes*.

While for this case it is: "Quite the Silence".

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi all, I did some looking around on this to see if I could give an update. (Yep, I'm here this week! 😄 ) This is another of those weird bugs where the problem isn't immediately obvious, so like the earlier post mentioned, an engineer was looking at it but it's taken a bit. 

I can tell you that we have a fix just about ready to go though! We'll get it to you as soon as possible--just hang in there a little bit longer. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hi all, I did some looking around on this to see if I could give an update. (Yep, I'm here this week! 😄 ) This is another of those weird bugs where the problem isn't immediately obvious, so like the earlier post mentioned, an engineer was looking at it but it's taken a bit. 

I can tell you that we have a fix just about ready to go though! We'll get it to you as soon as possible--just hang in there a little bit longer. 

Thank you for the update!  Glad a fix was found.  Please send the engineer a cookie for us. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

I can tell you that we have a fix just about ready to go though! We'll get it to you as soon as possible--just hang in there a little bit longer. 

Thank you for Finally giving us an Update.
PLEASE do remember that if it is ready to go JUST DISPATCH IT, do NOT wait next week Tuesday...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Thank you for the update. This bug is a game breaker for those of use that play on a regular basis.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

ty for update

5 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping this gets fixed before I get home from holidays.

Whilst I'm grateful we have a response finally, it shouldn't take 3 weeks with barely any response and really bad responses from the admin (as per my ticket saying Win11 is a reason not to investigate a ticket), needs to be addressed. Best thing GW2 woulld benefit from is more honesty and transparency since community generally supports the game and the people behind it. 

• Like 9

On 4/12/2022 at 7:26 PM, KurokouNekoki.7891 said:

Considering they just phase things out after a festival we probably won't even be allowed to have a notice...
Just showing that ANet really doesn't care anymore... It is all about money money money.

That's jumping to conclusions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, reapex.8546 said:

That's jumping to conclusions.

That's just facts,
- You probably have seen the festival just poofing out LIVE in front of your own eyes!
- We have never got a Patch Notes about the end of a Festival.
- And also the main goal of a company is to make money.

So yes, perhaps it is jumping to conclusions, because we all (or at least all should) know that those are just Facts.
Feel free to disclaim me if you can prove any of those facts being incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/14/2022 at 3:20 PM, Miss Lana.5276 said:

So your workaround is to restart the client. Like everyone here has already been doing. Waiting longer for icons to load once before restart doesn't change anything - except that you've wasted more time.

In case restart works, i have had to open the game 7 times because it crashes even at char select after just login.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, achwas.6190 said:

let's face it - Easter (and the holidays) is on us, and they will not change anything over those . SAB ends in the coming days. They have ignored the problem since the beginning. 
...and unfortunately "compensation" will be unlikely. How will you judge who was affected (hey you all logged in and could play didn't you ?) ?
So the best we can hope for is "have things work normally" (such as being able to play all content ), but even that feels unlikely at this point. If they cannot even have an understudy take over PR duties while Mrs Bayer is absent, with a severe problem at hand - and it would not take much - write a few conciliatory lines on the "problems", include some blurry half-truths and that would likely calm the waves ,
Or simply have someone from technical support give a quick report on the situation. They appear unable to do that. Just draw your own conclusions from that

If they had any actual ability for mediating issues, they will compensate the playerbase even if it means everyone even the ones not affected (if they cannot be bothered pooling who has been affected and who has not).
(Pretty sure they can mass filter "who had several Logouts and Logins in a short period of time".)

This issues has by now pretty much heavily damaged their credibility in taking responsabilities where they should have.

After the month-long issue with Dragon's End Last month, that is just month long issues after month long issues. And that has to stop, for THEIR good sakes.

• Like 2