Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

It's nice to have another reply about an incoming fix, but tbh, this game just needs a thorough bug-cleanse/world polish/code polish update sometime soon instead of more new zones or a part of your playerbase is going to fall apart when a new gamebreaking MMO comes out like what GW2 was 10 years ago. Nearly every patch breaks something seemingly unrelated, some bugs have been in game but not addressed for several years. 

For example, after Silverwastes Vinewrath, when you do the champ train: the last champion trasher that's supposed to spawn in the area south of the champion bandit is never spawning while the champion trasher event bar still pops up. It's been like that for over 5 years now, reported it several times back in the day but I just stopped doing that, and stopped reporting any bugs at all. Because why bother reporting bugs if they stay unaddressed anyways? 100cm dark AI still jumps all over the place and the lasers spawn halfway the arena instead of near the edge if you break the breakbar during the window that triggers it, even 98cm (nightmare) has a bug where you don't get a dome during the final 15%. There are plenty of no fly/mount zones around jumping puzzles, but by using bond of faith, you can still bypass a lot of them. You can still get under maps very easily, there are still bots in the game harvesting elder wood under the map in Orr (I've seen them, even vidded it but we can't do anything with it, because one of my friends that recorded it as well and filed a customer support ticket was told "not to go under the map anymore, even if it was meant for reporting bots or they would take action against him for going under the map")

The game is full of bugs, ones more visible and more recurring than others, Anet is aware of it and chooses to ignore it, and (like me), other veteran players have just stopped reporting them because it feels like our reports are left unaddressed anyways. So, we choose to ignore them as well until some other MMO comes along that we can spend the next 10 years on because any effort we put into trying to keep this game enjoyable seems to land in deaf ears anyways and is a waste of time. Just like this post, but I couldn't help myself because I still love the game for what it once was.

So seriously, take this bug as your final wake-up call and start getting your priorities straight. Polish what you currently have, focus on bugfixing, adjust your multiboxing policy because those are annoying as hell as well, and value your community by offering small (useless) gestures if bugs like these do occur. Even if it's just 5 heroes banners and 10k karma for the entire player base, it's the gesture and acknowledging that the bug should have been fixed way faster that counts. Do it before your playerbase breaks and an exodus starts because once an exodus begins, you won't be able to turn it around, Wow couldn't either.

Edited by evlover.6270
typo
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

On 4/14/2022 at 8:23 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hi all, I did some looking around on this to see if I could give an update. (Yep, I'm here this week! 😄 ) This is another of those weird bugs where the problem isn't immediately obvious, so like the earlier post mentioned, an engineer was looking at it but it's taken a bit. 

I can tell you that we have a fix just about ready to go though! We'll get it to you as soon as possible--just hang in there a little bit longer. 

Honestly next tuesday SAB will be gone and it will "automatically" fix itself. Last years SAB was already making problems.

This will happen with next years SAB release again. I beg you, don't just sweep it under the carpet. Fix it for good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, KurokouNekoki.7891 said:

That's just facts,
- You probably have seen the festival just poofing out LIVE in front of your own eyes!
- We have never got a Patch Notes about the end of a Festival.

Don't know what you're talking about "poofing."
They let us know when the schedule was to appear.  

"Don't know the end of the festival."
It's on the right side of your screen every time you login to the game.

You immediately jumped to conclusions but it's fine, doesn't matter.     
You can believe what you want to believe. 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, reapex.8546 said:

Don't know what you're talking about "poofing."
They let us know when the schedule was to appear.  

"Don't know the end of the festival."
It's on the right side of your screen every time you login to the game.

You immediately jumped to conclusions but it's fine, doesn't matter.     
You can believe what you want to believe. 

And this proves you haven't read anything in this thread and just came to put some more oil.
-------
The "Poofing" is about the fact the game does not "Patch" when the festival ends it just "phases out" of existence.
Which leads to point 2, not having a Patch Notes with any Relevant information about anything about the Festival ending (which in this case will just make sure everyone affected by this bug will be on edge).
Yes, we know when it ends in-game... but it is nothing concrete from the devs. 

As people above prompted it, that will lack of communication leaves the devs a massive advantage to just sweep the problem under the carpet until it comes back next year.

AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM.
---------
So you still have to prove any of my points wrong.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/14/2022 at 2:23 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hi all, I did some looking around on this to see if I could give an update. (Yep, I'm here this week! 😄 ) This is another of those weird bugs where the problem isn't immediately obvious, so like the earlier post mentioned, an engineer was looking at it but it's taken a bit. 

I can tell you that we have a fix just about ready to go though! We'll get it to you as soon as possible--just hang in there a little bit longer. 

Was really hoping the extremely unlikely chance we'd have this pushed so we could enjoy the weekend without the bug. 😞 As expected, this is pushed to at least Tuesday patch.  3 weeks of this. Very sad boi

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KurokouNekoki.7891 said:

And this proves you haven't read anything in this thread and just came to put some more oil.

What your response proves is you didn't read the discussion of my responses in this thread. You're just responding to add unnecessary fuel to the fire.

Edited by reapex.8546
Clarification
  • Confused 5

41 minutes ago, Bronze Centipede.5230 said:

My thread got merged with this one but my question seems to have just vanished..

When I select a character, the game crashes without an error message. Someone told me that I shouldn't have downloaded GW2 to Program Files. Is there a particular place I should download it to, to avoid the crash?

I think the Mods has fluked here, this question should have remained separated as it seems to be irrelated to this thread...

But I'll answer you this: 
As long as your GW2 is on your (C : ) you should be alright (or your SSD Drive). Otherwise you can always try the repair tool; as you may have obtained some corrupted files it doesn't hurt to try.

Edited by KurokouNekoki.7891
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lordmeowalot.8135 said:

Every reset when I swap between alts I check this thread to see if there is an update.

Update: I had to restart the game 10 times for my 13 characters tonight.

Hopefully, next week will be the last we have to experience this bug.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reapex.8546 said:

Hopefully, next week will be the last we have to experience this bug.

It shouldn't have lasted this long honestly. I don't know what is going on with them but they have clearly lost the trust of some players due to this. I myself have barely touched the game since this happened.

• Like 3

Can we confirm whether or not this new upcoming patch will address the issue of character models not loading up? Because as far as I know, it's only to tweek the EoD Dragon's End meta.

I hate to echo what most others in this thread have said already, but Anet is really starting to disappoint me by allowing this bug to interfere with gameplay for as long as it has.

Edited by Artasid.7612
  • Like 4

I get physically ill when people give a game company a free pass when they "communicate" an upcoming fix to a bug that makes the game literally unplayable for people like me.  You "thank them"?  For what?  Are you serious?  The bug happens 100% of the time on switching for me and completely removes my ability to play the game in a way I would like to.  This is the kind of thing that should have had ALL HANDS on deck to fix it within a couple of days tops, but no, it is obviously related to something with SAB so instead of fixing it, they say nothing for the longest time and then a few days before SAB ends they go with "oh a fix is coming".  Sure it is.  Who do you think you are fooling?  I will repeat again, I have spent more than 15000 hours in your game and have celebrated and defended GW2 everywhere.  I can't do it anymore.  What has happened to you?  It has been a while now that I have been thinking this feels a lot like a "minimum viable product" at the moment.  I mean if you are a brand new player, great, you have years of content.  If you are an oldie like me it is difficult to look past the obvious cracks... like the exact same festivals that hardly get added to or improved.  Despite cries from everywhere to expand SAB you just push out the same thing with new cosmetics every year.  Is there no passion anymore?  (<--- and don't get me started on EoD, the writing in it is atrocious and borders on juvenile heartstring pulling, trying to make us care about something that has not had any set up.  That is a rookie mistake that you learn in Creative Writing 101).  I want the old anet back.  The one that made Living Story Season 2.  (and if you the player are going to go ape on LS2 in trying to defend this nonsense, may I remind you that LS2 did a LOT of exposition to set up the whole story of HoT and Aurene to begin with.  EoD has had nothing like that.  Soo Won?  really?).  Yeah I am not going to apologize for ranting, because I AM passionate about this game but I am at the same time extremely bitter about the direction it has gone in.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ceanonmurchadh.1368 said:

Is there no passion anymore?  (<--- and don't get me started on EoD, the writing in it is atrocious and borders on juvenile heartstring pulling, trying to make us care about something that has not had any set up.  That is a rookie mistake that you learn in Creative Writing 101). 

They have lost the passion by the look after Heart of Thorns (which has started the whole community-splitting) in my opinion.

-----------
The Lore Writing has became 10,000x worst as they seem to have delved into the "PURE" "Memes-y" Culture, which frankly has not its place in a Professional Product (-1000 points of Charisma, on that)...
-----------
Without even mentioning, that they seem like they are doing actual references and honorifics to actual some of their Gaming Content Partners, that are absolutely not what they are IRL.

I cannot go to Arborstone anymore because there is two NPCs (One Human and One Charr) (related to 2 Partners) that I absolutely cannot smell IRL. For the distress they have caused me when I was part of their communities.
------------
So I believe that ANet has lost their path, for a very very long time by now.
And honestly, if it is on its last legs, might as well have mercy and end it before it suffers even more because this game is no FUN anymore. Too Much Bugs, Not Enough Productive Communications. All is purely cosmetics crap which is often locked behind RNGs or Stupid Content that is barebone impossible for the less fortunate (that has no time to get into raids, or are physically impaired without the Support needed).

• Like 2

Please anyone tell me Anet is working on a fix for this. It is absolutely inacceptable we have to deal with bs for several weeks without anet even aknowledging the bug itself. This feels exactly like the TP loading bug wich they have never acknowledged or fixed in over 3 years. Yes it exists since one of the November updates in 2018, can you believe that???? Anet do your job, seriously you cant keep ignoring these massive problems

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sindo.3568 said:

Please anyone tell me Anet is working on a fix for this. It is absolutely inacceptable we have to deal with bs for several weeks without anet even aknowledging the bug itself. This feels exactly like the TP loading bug wich they have never acknowledged or fixed in over 3 years. Yes it exists since one of the November updates in 2018, can you believe that???? Anet do your job, seriously you cant keep ignoring these massive problems

There are some ANET replies in the previous pages but sadly, nothing has come into fruition. 

My guess, there is a high chance they will mention the delay was caused since numerous Devs have left ANET to work on other projects with other companies. Hmm, I wonder why.

Edited by Sansi.3916

8 hours ago, sindo.3568 said:

I think they answered they have a solution and is already being developed. But at least this has been faster than getting something for wvw/pvp.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of accounts. All use identical settings. My main account has recently started having this issue. It only happens on the main account - none of the spare accounts. All settings on low or high doesn't matter, it still loads slow and bugs out the graphics. DXX11 on or off - doesn't matter. DX9 is the same.

When it finally does load in, I get this checkerboard pattern, as per attached screenshot.

My character can move, although the camera doesn't move. I can only tell I'm moving because the icon on the mini map moves.

Like I mentioned, none of the other accounts have this. But this happens probably 75% of the time on the main account. I completely re-installed everything, even the DAT (rip old, old dat) - no change. 

Why one account but no others? Any ideas?