Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

Log in to game, play a Character.. Then swapping Character sometimes work once.. or twice.. The game freeze, graphics fails, have to restart game. Since patch 28th and many reporting same problem.

Tested on 3 PC, same on all. Also not related to DX or GPU, CPU etc.. its CODE error.

Those who play one Character all time will not notice this. 

EDIT: Moore Character on account makes the problem worse.. Created new account with 2 Character, the problem is then almost gone. It's reload Character's that freeze Game.

Edited by Grimleiv.9813
Tested more
  • Like 2

It's on all game versions.. and not related to CPU, GPU memory etc.. Tested on 3 PC, same with new free GW2 and With EoD etc.. Switching char sometimes work one time.. or 2, then game freeze.. if it loads graphics is gone.. Normally now we have to restart game to load a new Character.. Sometimes even that fails unless we wait a few min after shutting down game.

Think all have this problem... but since many just play one Character.. they will not notice it.

Can confirm, same issue here. Does not affect the first character or occasionally the second character logged into, but eventually will cause a sort of weird disconnect where one is still logged in but characters will not load on character login screen. Once trying to load into any character this leads to a permanent loading screen.

The be clear: the issue happens not on initial login and first character select but after "Log Out" from that character to the character select screen.

Should be showing up by now in metrics of players restarting the game more often than usual, especially when switching characters.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2

Literally unable to play because of infinite (and black) loading screens. Sometimes can't even get past the character selection.  Everything was fine just after the patch less than 8 hours ago...

When I finally DO manage to load in, I get greeted with this wonderful sight: https://imgur.com/CFhfbE0

Anyone else having this issue?

Update: after trying to log in 8 times, finally got lucky and managed to play. Honestly though... wtf.

Edited by Demonhead.7584
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver.9710 said:

How does this still not have an official answer... sounds like a top priority kind of issue...

The fact that the threads got merged but there is still no official response like "We got it on the radar"/"We're working on it!"/"We hear you" is a shame tbh. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

I also have an black & infinite loading screen after swapping characters and sometimes also in the character selection. 

Logging in for the first time after restarting the game works most of the time but I do not have graphical bugs as shown on your screenshot.

I fixed the issue by deleting gw2.dat and 
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2\Local..dat.

Try Local.dat first.

Edited by Ouroboros.2094

Give them some time its not even a working day for them I think they will have a look into this asap, meanwhile I just enjoy FF14 or some other games gw2 isnt the only thing you can play ^^

such bugs happen just chill a brief moment and it will come to a solve 

Edited by Becii.7648
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Am having the exact same issue, infinite load times, black screens & when it finally does load up there are those very familiar black & white squares, missing character, missing floor, can't move! Have already reported it a few times & the latest patch has done nothing to fix/address the issue whatsoever. I gave up on playing at all yesterday & looks like this will continue... I certainly hope ANET is looking into it because it's a serious problem!

I tried the above mentioned suggestion, to delete the local.dat however after a few logins it went back to the same exact issue again! Agh! Yes something definitely isn't right here...

Edited by CJH.2879
Not Fixed!
  • Like 1

To summarize:

1. It happen most of the time when you try to switch your character. It wont happen on normal map-changes when still playing the "first" character you logged into.
  2. It is not related to any map or region. It happens in wvw, pvp, Hot, pof, eod, central tyria. 
  3. It is not related to your account-type, so it happens to both, accounts with EoD and accounts without.
  4. It is not related to either Dx9 or Dx11, it happens in both DirectX Versions
  5. It is not related to third-party stuff, it happens with arcdps installed or not, it also happens stuff like GeForce Experience installed or not.
  6. It is not GPU/CPU related, since its reporded from users from all manufactures. (Intel, AMD, Nvidia)
  7. Loading Times seems "infinite" - but are "just" about 10 Times as long as usually (so instead of ~20sec its now ~200sec) 
  8. Some Textures corrupt or don't get loaded at all when it happens.
  9. Some Models don't get loaded at all when it happens.
  10. UI Elements don't get loaded at all when it happens.
  11. There no "specific" Textures/Models/UI Elements - it vary on what gets loaded or not. Sometimes you still have Backgrounds on your Loadingscreen/Char Screen, sometimes its just black. Same goes for Map-Objects, Skyboxes etc.
  12. In most cases: were entire "Ground"/Map not loaded - Most Models were loaded - Own Player Character not loaded, UI not loaded, Map/Minimap is black, Skyboxes are chess-pattern textures (color vary) , Camera is "stuck" (because no player character loaded) but you see yourself moving on map
  13. It "seems" that the chance for this is increased the more characters an account has? (Even when I don't see any logical reason why the character amount should have any impact on this?)

edit: https://imgur.com/a/0ffrsng

Edited by Nasbit.3240
Added Image
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

32 minutes ago, Nasbit.3240 said:

It "seems" that the chance for this is increased the more characters an account has? (Even when I don't see any logical reason why the character amount should have any impact on this?)

Yup, my main acc (all expansions and max amount of char slots) bugs out on every character swap. Meanwhile, alt acc with HoT/PoF and only 8 chars does not run into the bug at all.

Yep, got the same loading issues, rendering, complete stop on character loading or rendering. Long or infinite loading screens. This needs to be hotfixed fast. It is making the play experience unpleasant to say the least.

Even the character selection screen is bugged. Some character profiles not showing up in their selection boxes.

Edited by CuChulainn.5940
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nasbit.3240 said:

To summarize:

1. It only happen when you try to switch your character. It wont happen on normal map-changes when still playing the "first" character you logged into.
  2. It is not related to any map or region. It happens in wvw, pvp, Hot, pof, eod, central tyria. 
  3. It is not related to your account-type, so it happens to both, accounts with EoD and accounts without.
  4. It is not related to either Dx9 or Dx11, it happens in both DirectX Versions
  5. It is not related to third-party stuff, it happens with arcdps installed or not, it also happens stuff like GeForce Experience installed or not.
  6. It is not GPU/CPU related, since its reporded from users from all manufactures. (Intel, AMD, Nvidia)
  7. Loading Times seems "infinite" - but are "just" about 10 Times as long as usually (so instead of ~20sec its now ~200sec) 
  8. Some Textures corrupt or don't get loaded at all when it happens.
  9. Some Models don't get loaded at all when it happens.
  10. UI Elements don't get loaded at all when it happens.
  11. There no "specific" Textures/Models/UI Elements - it vary on what gets loaded or not. Sometimes you still have Backgrounds on your Loadingscreen/Char Screen, sometimes its just black. Same goes for Map-Objects, Skyboxes etc.
  12. In most cases: were entire "Ground"/Map not loaded - Most Models were loaded - Own Player Character not loaded, UI not loaded, Map/Minimap is black, Skyboxes are chess-pattern textures (color vary) , Camera is "stuck" (because no player character loaded) but you see yourself moving on map
  13. It "seems" that the chance for this is increased the more characters an account has? (Even when I don't see any logical reason why the character amount should have any impact on this?)

edit: https://imgur.com/a/0ffrsng

excellent summary, thanks Nasbit

as an addendum : Experienced some extended loading problems with Grothmar Valley loading time. Will recheck with some more characters

Grothmar valley also has extraordinarily extended times, even on "Initial" (unchanged ) character, with structures being loaded very slowly and some appearing only after a few minutes in map (such as the Rodeo area  - between 10+ seconds for the bridge railings and 2+ minutes for stuff like the festival structures) - compared to Bjora (completely loaded map when logging in ), Thunderhead Peaks, Domain of Kourna, Bloodstone Fen, Lake Doric ( all of those maps because they have distinctly filtered light which they share with Grothmar Valley, which is my main suspect).

This even happened when leaving Gothmar and reloading it as the next thing. 
While someone blamed Arborstone : that works(ed) fine

Edited by achwas.6190
specific test done
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Grimleiv.9813 said:

Log in to game, play a Character.. Then swapping Character sometimes work once.. or twice.. The game freeze, graphics fails, have to restart game. Since patch 28th and many reporting same problem.

Tested on 3 PC, same on all. Also not related to DX or GPU, CPU etc.. its CODE error.

Those who play one Character all time will not notice this. 

EDIT: Moore Character on account makes the problem worse.. Created new account with 2 Character, the problem is then almost gone. It's reload Character's that freeze Game.

Lovely I have 50 characters smh I have an idea Delete SAB I haven't stepped foot in there since 2 years ago when I needed so many Babbles to max out my Guild Hall.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Ouroboros.2094 said:

I fixed the issue by deleting gw2.dat and 

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2\Local..dat.

Try Local.dat first.

I've been having the same problems described, all day long yesterday and today.

Tonight I tried deleting local.dat, didn't help. I deleted gw2.dat... and after hours of wait to reinstall... it seemed to be fixed: I logged in to multiple characters (like 8-10) with no issues at all. Hooray! I logged out of the game completely and came to post thinking this was the solution... then thought I'd better double check. Logged back in (literally, just 10 minutes later)....and the problem is back 100% the same: starts when logging out of first character, long load times, invisible characters, missing stuff, broken graphics.

So...it didn't help 😭

Edited by Udolpho.1209
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just wait for the fix guys - it's a bug in the code right now, you won't fix it yourself by repairing, deleting or anything. For now, you'll just have to close the game and open it again if it starts doing it. Unfortunate for us that have alts parked places, but we'll just have to live with it a few days (hopefully?)

• Like 2