Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

13 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

The be clear: the issue happens not on initial login and first character select but after "Log Out" from that character to the character select screen.

It has been happening on the very first character. It happens less often but it still happens.

• Like 4

It's still happening! Re-logged 8 times, then on the 9th character selection, boom! Endless loading screen & when it finally loaded, character was missing/stuck on the spot, sky was black & white tiles, floor was missing, etc, etc... Errgggghhhhh! Just a word of advice ANET, you might want to call all hands on deck until you've definitively sorted this problem out at it's core! And then leave the staff in place for a few days to ensure it doesn't rear it's ugly head again! Just some friendly advice... I believe this only started happening once SAB (Super Adventure Box) made an appearance so something isn't meshing together correctly! Anyways... thanks for your replies thus far & for letting us know it's being looked into!  :-)

23 hours ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

Sounds like it has more to do with accounts owning EoD

13 hours ago, Ouroboros.2094 said:

I also have an black & infinite loading screen after swapping characters and sometimes also in the character selection. 

Logging in for the first time after restarting the game works most of the time but I do not have graphical bugs as shown on your screenshot.

I fixed the issue by deleting gw2.dat and 
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2\Local..dat.

Try Local.dat first.

Seems that deleing the gw.dat and maybe the local.dat has worked for me.  A definite workaround, hopefully until the devs correct the bug overall. Takes a long time to download the gw.dat for it to be the ultimate solution for everyone. But, props to @Ouroboros.2094

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, CattivoUomo.7198 said:

I may have spoken too soon.  Deleting the gw.dat and local.dat files seemed to work for the first 3-4 characters switches, but the issue returned.

It was just a coincidence. Nothing we do on our side will fix it. If not, people wouldn't have the same issue when logging in on a different computer. Or have alt accounts that are fine.

Edited by Silver.9710
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just adding my + to people affected by this. It started after the SAB update, everything was working normally as I went through SAB for a few hours but as soon as I swapped characters I ran into the issues that @Nasbit.3240 summarized nicely. To add to that though, restarting the game does NOT fix the issue even temporarily for me - I need to either restart PC or do a "-repair" on launcher - but even that of course only allows me to log onto 1 of my characters (always the same one, others don't work at all).

Really hoping for a fix sooner rather than later :3.

5 hours ago, CattivoUomo.7198 said:

Seems that deleing the gw.dat and maybe the local.dat has worked for me.  A definite workaround, hopefully until the devs correct the bug overall. Takes a long time to download the gw.dat for it to be the ultimate solution for everyone. But, props to @Ouroboros.2094

This does not help - at least not universally -  the problem is back after the first few character changes. ... as if all of the above had not thought of it... honestly. /headshake

• Like 1

After the last patch its completely broken for me right now. Cant even play GW2. Restarting the game does not work. Character models doesn't load and I got a black loading screen. After like 5 min I have the same issue like before. UI isn't loading properly and my character is nowhere to be seen. Can't do anything right now.

Maybe it has something to do with the amount of characters like a few people said?

39 chars and 48 char slots

I've got EoD if thats important

Hope this can be fixed soon. Ty you for your hard work.

Hope to see you soon again in Tyria 🙂

Edit:

On one char it worked once and I could login. After that the same issue again and it doesn't load.

Edited by Necsis.4613

I've noticed this bug every day since the SAB patch while switching toons to farm quartz. When I get through the minute-long loading screen, my toon is invisible, and parts of the UI are transparent as many others have reported. But what's even stranger is, I'll switch my consumable gathering tools to infinite ones and as I mine the node, I can see the bags filling in the wrong slots. It happens in different slots at different times, and doesn't seem to have a logical reasoning (it's not at the start or end of any particular bag, for example).

Edit: I've come to realize why this happens. Certain items go invisible, pushing new items forward. The only way to check something in a slot is to hover over it. I guess this is more of a graphics anomaly. 🙁

Edited by Gehirn.8796
New information

I don't have EoD yet & I can confirm that the problem still persists. I only have PoF & HoT. It's definitely something related to the release of SAB which has fundamentally broken the game, (at least when trying to swap characters!) I've pretty much stopped playing for three days now & it would seem this problem is much more serious then anyone first realized. If ANET isn't already scrambling, I'd say yup, it's about that time! Not sure how many more players need to complain at this point! Worst case scenario I'd recommend cancelling SAB & rolling back the patches to the version that was actually working properly before all of this chaos began! I'm only saying that because in the past I once hosted a game server & if I ever had any issues I'd roll it back to a previous version that functioned correctly, could maybe then re-implement any items that were added into that build, just saying. But I'll have a guess that ANET will probably go through all the lines of code trying to figure out exactly what's causing this problem. Regardless I'd keep my options on the table! Hopefully fingers crossed someone will get lucky on the other end & locate the problem!

• Like 2

Hello

I just logged a reddit post about the issue and someone was nice enough to point me to this thread where we all get to complain together.

I thought it was my new card that was busted so this is sort of a relieve (Still a pain)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ttqr0q/guild_wars_stops_loading_characters_on_character/

Here is the link, it gives a lot more detail of the issue and how I get around it but essentially I can log in to my characters and play the game if I just want for the initial Log in screen to finish loading.

• Like 2