Most efficient way for new player to get Skyscale?

Wife and I recently started playing. We are level capped and just finished the PoF story and working on LS4. 

We understand the Skyscale grind is long and we're up for it, but all the guides are very confusing, assuming we know and understand terms like "Return Achievements", "Charged Quartz Crystal dailies", "home instance farming", etc. We're new and quite overwhelmed!

We also understand there are some efficiencies to gathering up materials we will later need, while we are working on the LS4 story. But we're having a hard time deciphering them.

Is there a step-by-step guide that can help us understand an efficient way of getting to our goal while we are working on LS4? 

Thanks in advance for any insights or suggestions. We are loving this game (omg, the PoF story was wonderful), but still learning the environment.

Skyscale/Walkthrough - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

This is pretty comprehensive for what you need to do.  The only thing you can collect in LS4 before the Skyscale quests is the Currency which you use to buy the Saddle near the end of the quest chain.

The other item you can start working on is the Charged Quartz Crystal since that is time gated.  I guess you could collect or buy the other pieces for the Skyscale Food as well.

• Like 5

I recommend doing the Season 4 "Return To" story achievements.

• You need all of the Season 4 episodes to get the Skyscale anyway.

• Completing each section will give you a ton of resources related to that map, which you need for Skyscale stuff.

• Doing all of the "Return To" sequence will also give you a pretty cool legendary amulet that you can use on all of your characters.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of deciding whether you want to do a bunch of jumping puzzles or spend gold crafting the skyscales snacks that let you bypass them. In most cases you are better off just doing the puzzles.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alteriel valie.4751 said:

<...>
p.s for the rez players part,go in big city and ask in map people to jump from a high spot to die and rez them.
like in divinity's reach where the bank is,people can jump from the statue!

You don't need to ress players. You can ress NPC's too. Near Destiny's Gorge is a great place for this because there are always many dead NPC's there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

I recommend doing the Season 4 "Return To" story achievements.

• You need all of the Season 4 episodes to get the Skyscale anyway.

• Completing each section will give you a ton of resources related to that map, which you need for Skyscale stuff.

• Doing all of the "Return To" sequence will also give you a pretty cool legendary amulet that you can use on all of your characters.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of deciding whether you want to do a bunch of jumping puzzles or spend gold crafting the skyscales snacks that let you bypass them. In most cases you are better off just doing the puzzles.

Adding: if you want to wait, a lot of these jumping puzzles come up on the daily rotation. Asking in map chat, Lion's Arch, or in LFG can also help.

9 hours ago, Tyrick.9805 said:

You don't need to ress players. You can ress NPC's too. Near Destiny's Gorge is a great place for this because there are always many dead NPC's there.

8 hours ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

You can rezz golems in Metrica Province to progress that skyscale achievement too.  There's a heart not too far from the entrance there that has a lot of them.

I did the rez with the way i wrote,i didnt know this way nice!👍

Charged Quartz Crystals

Are time-gated to making one per day, plus they are limited on what maps you can gather quartz crystals on.  It takes 25 quartz crystals to make one charged quartz crystal - you charge them by going to a commune-type hero challenge with 25 quartz crystals in your inventory, you'll get an option to create a charged quartz crystal when you interact with the hero challenge.  You can collect quartz crystals from:

1. Dry Top - 2 fixed permanent nodes on the east side, 1 node on the west side that has 3 spawn points, plus a rich node that is accessible during the last half of the dust storm on tier 4 or higher maps.
  2. Crystal Oasis - Destiny's Gorge area, generally inside the mine, sometimes up on top in the branded area.
  3. Dragon's End - Down in the water in the mine pit.
  4. Labyrinthine Cliffs, but only during Festival of the Four Winds.
  5. You can also get them from Wintersday Presents, map rewards, and a few other items, and, fortunately, also from the Trading Post.

One major thing.  KEEP A FULL STACK OF EACH OF THE SEASON 4 CURRENCIES.  Seriously.  I dragged (drug?) a guy through getting his skyscale, did all of the 'Return to' achievements, etc., get to the very end and discover that he consumed all of the map currency for Dragonfall so that he'd have the Volatile Magic to buy something.  So he had to go and farm and farm and farm until he had another stack of the map currency to buy the last piece to his Skyscale Saddle.  My advice, keep depositing the map currencies until you have a stack in your materials storage, stick that stack in your bank, and then fill your materials storage up again BEFORE you consume any of it for Volatile Magic.  That way you will have all you will need (and hopefully then some!) when you get to needing it for your Skyscale.

The "Return to" achievements. 

Anet decided to re-release, or feature, every living world story episode last year, from Season 2 all the way through Ice Brood Saga.  If you logged in while an episode was the weekly featured episode, you unlocked it on your account for free, even if you didn't have the corresponding expansion required to play it (HoT for season 3, PoF for Season 4 and IBS), you'll still have it unlocked if/when you buy that expansion.  With that came a bunch of new achievements related to the releases - do the story, harvest trees 10 times, mine 10 times, kill things, etc.  You can find them on your achievements tab under Side Stories, and they will be listed as "Return to Daybreak", "Return to A Bug in the System", etc.  You will earn a stack or two (or more) of each corresponding map currency from completing the return to achievements as you play through the story on those maps (and since you're new, you won't be replaying the story like the rest of us to earn those!).

Home Instance Farming:

Each racial city holds a player home instance.  They are accessible to you on all of your characters, regardless of race, so you can go into your human home instance in Divinity's Reach on your charr or norn, no problem.  There are 57 total gathering nodes that you can have in your home instance that you can harvest once per day per account - not per toon, not per instance, per account.  You can get the nodes from achievements, TP, gem store, black lion chests, and someone really nice gifting one to you.  The good news is, you can harvest someone else's home by being in their party and joining them in their home instance.  Plus, the home instances count for the dailies in the corresponding zone - so daily Kryta miner gets completed when you mine nodes in a home instance in Divinity's Reach, for example.  The home instance nodes are also a guaranteed number of drops of currency, whereas the nodes in the open world may (and often do) have some level of RNG attached.  For example, Bloodstone Crystal nodes in Bloodstone Fen can drop 0-1 rubies, the home instance node drops a guaranteed 3. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.294 said:

One major thing.  KEEP A FULL STACK OF EACH OF THE SEASON 4 CURRENCIES.  Seriously.  I dragged (drug?) a guy through getting his skyscale, did all of the 'Return to' achievements, etc., get to the very end and discover that he consumed all of the map currency for Dragonfall so that he'd have the Volatile Magic to buy something.  So he had to go and farm and farm and farm until he had another stack of the map currency to buy the last piece to his Skyscale Saddle.  My advice, keep depositing the map currencies until you have a stack in your materials storage, stick that stack in your bank, and then fill your materials storage up again BEFORE you consume any of it for Volatile Magic.  That way you will have all you will need (and hopefully then some!) when you get to needing it for your Skyscale.

If you have access to Bjora Marches in IBS you can farm Eternal Ice and trade it for any LS4 currency.  It is a lot faster to do this than grind an LS4 zone for its currency.  

• Like 1