Character Investment / Profession Design

Debug.7013

GW2 is GREAT!  Love the Game, love the ambition (new expansion adding 9 more professions, 36 total now including base/core!!!)

But I am worried that the reception by the community may leave them feeling burned on their approach to next expansion, whenever that may be coming.

I think a significant part of the community response is in how players are trying/wanting to play the different professions, versus the ANET design/philosophy/intent on those different professions.

This is made more complicated by the monetization approach in the game - A large part of of the utility/upgrade investments are toon specific.

And it's not really clear what the direction/intent/long term design is on the different professions (or, at least, not to me - is there an official list of professions and what their design philosophy/intent is on each profession?  Like, ProfessionA - Boon Support Alac, or ProfessionB - Meele Power/Strike DPS, etc).

The problem is that there is a lot of flux/changing coming in that could change how a profession plays, what they do, even their role in groups/teams (class doing good dps now may be intended to be support, and may get nerfed/changed accordingly, etc).

Simple example:  What are ANET's thoughts about Machinist?  (Don't answer, not intending to start up a huge profession specific design discussion, using this as an example, as the way the profession works now may be radically changed, and players may end up later regretting investing into a Engineer that later has changes that are not in line with how they want to play).

What about a Soulbeast?  Untamed?  What are their intended roles?  Is Untamed going to be groomed to be more of a support type?  Thoughts about PvP/WvW roles?   Note, realize I'm a complete newb, trying to illustrate the problem/question here with examples...

Bag space sale today, GREAT!

Build Template, Build Storage in past, GREAT!

But these are character specific.

Which character would you use these on?

You don't get a refund later when a big nerf/change comes to a profession...

So, my thought is, can we get a list of Professions, with a descriptive/exact list of their intended role, what ANETs thoughts are on the current implementation/issues on each of those may be, and the direction of the changes/nerfs/buffs that may be coming in?

If I like to play a Machinist as a DPS, is that going to be a mistake if I invest into that toon wanting to play that way?

Some professions are probably intended in some scenarios/roles (like, meant to be good as WvW Roamers, or PvP Duelists, or PvE meele power DPS, etc).

Would be good to know what the intended design is, so that we know the direction of the changes that may come in, and can better decide which characters we want to play/invest into, rather then ending up frustrated after a major profession change that we previously enjoyed....

Not looking for a list of what players THINK their profession roles should be.

Hoping to get a response from ANET on what they INTEND the profession roles should be (or a pointer may be if this kind of profession list/breakdown is already out there somewhere)?

Waffles!

Edited by Debug.7013
grammer/spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is a good thread.

Looking to get more clear communication about "goals" is good.

Recent comments from ANet boil down to "We want you to be able to play your preferred role in whatever profession you play", which I think is great. I just hope we aren't met with another "Elementalist is in a great spot"...

Edited by The Boz.2038
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 3:31 PM, Debug.7013 said:

And it's not really clear what the direction/intent/long term design is on the different professions (or, at least, not to me - is there an official list of professions and what their design philosophy/intent is on each profession?  Like, ProfessionA - Boon Support Alac, or ProfessionB - Meele Power/Strike DPS, etc).

There is actually an official design philosophy for this... but it doesn't break down on a class by class basis, because the specific design philosophy in use doesn't need to. The philosophy is to capture the core essence of what the classes were in GW1 brought into a more modern era. No profession has at any point been designed with the standpoint of "this profession is a boon support profession, that one is a melee power DPS profession," rather they actually deliberately chose to blur the lines on that as much as they can. Elite specializations tend to give more focus but even they are designed to keep the line blurred. Some actually even serve to blur the line even more than it was for the core profession (see Specter). The intent is for the player to define their role, not have the profession or elite specialization define it for them.

Your choice of weapon actually has more impact on your "role" than anything else in the entire game. This is because each weapon was designed to be "Melee Power DPS, Ranged Condi DPS, Boon Support, Defensive". They put the role defining choice into an aspect that most people don't even put much thought into deliberately.

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Thanks 1