How come anet doesn't buff pet damage in pve?

BumboJumbo.1308

10 hours ago, BumboJumbo.1308 said:

Even if they are pvp/wvw pets why not buff their damage in pve?

All in all it boil down to 2 things:

- Historically damage have been moved over the years from the pet to the ranger.

- The "intended" gameplay of the ranger is to regularly swap pet to take advantage of F2, not to use them passively and swap them when they are on the verge of death.

As such, the pet have come to be designed as a minor source of passive damage with an on command "impactful" skill.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

- Historically damage have been moved over the years from the pet to the ranger.

- The "intended" gameplay of the ranger is to regularly swap pet to take advantage of F2, not to use them passively and swap them when they are on the verge of death.

As such, the pet have come to be designed as a minor source of passive damage with an on command "impactful" skill.

Interesting. Thank you for the answer

• Haha 1

The damage is the least problem. Pet animation lock, boons not working properly, can't hit moving target....
Do you know, drakes auto attack has half the casting time of feline, but hit slower? Quickness doesn't effect most of the pets. You can check the pets stats only in pet management window, that is instead of reading the pet stats it count something based on rangers traits even if that don't effect the pet. 
Well, pets hardly gets any boons. Most case it is might from ranger or from nature magic. 
I don't like the pet swap system too. Almost everything that damage the pet, the only solution is pet swap. You want to remove condition? pet swap. Your pet died? pet swap. Your pet is in wrong place? pet swap, or call back wait for the pet, it is about ~2-5 sec  when your pet end it's animation, start running and stop next to you. I miss the "Guard!" ground target option to send your pet to a specific spot. 

On 3/30/2022 at 1:26 AM, BumboJumbo.1308 said:

For pve, I find it odd that anet has made new pets where the damaging ones (pheonix/white tiger) don't seem to do all that much damage. Even if they are pvp/wvw pets why not buff their damage in pve? 

Is it because druid or soulbeast would be too strong? 

New pets doesn't need to be better. no need this type of power creep. 
For damage Iboga dominate all other pets.
Druid has a stat nerf for its pet. any pet that is op in druid will op in core or untamed even more.
Soulbeast usually don't use the pet. Only in merged form. And phoenix is useful for soulbeast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/30/2022 at 12:15 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:

One would assume that is the intended design. Albeit that 90% of pets have trash F2 that do not have enough impact on your performance.

I am all for making the ranger stronger and the pet the utility belt of the ranger, but for that pets would need fundamental changes across the board. Which i still uope will happen someday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, InsaneQR.7412 said:

Albeit that 90% of pets have trash F2 that do not have enough impact on your performance.

Well, it's both true and false. The F2 or beast ability is always impactful thanks to the help of traits like poison master, invigorating bond, go for the eyes, beastly warden or wilting strike. That said, most of the core pets have prohibitive CD associated to awful cast time for very little impact when they aren't traited.

Why take an murellow and it's 35s CD low impact poison field when you can proc poison master every 6s with the eagle? Why take an arctodus when the same eagle have less than half the CD and an almost instant hit for the same effect?

There is value to the various F2 but why the heck is there some much disparity in CD and cast time? Why are some of those skill made totally unplayable? The very first thing the devs should do is bring down every F2 CD to 25s and below. The second thing would be to reduce the pet's cast time of the F2 skills to half a second.

Buffing pet damage? Hell no, I'm against the idea. Buffing the F2? That should be the way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Buffing pet damage? Hell no, I'm against the idea. Buffing the F2? That should be the way.

Exactly! 
Pet being a mobile DoT is not the ranger mechanic, beast abilities are!
We have CC, boons, condition, combo field from pets. and that's nice. If pets has low damage, you don't need to sacrifice much damage for changing effects. 
If we get more pet damage, do it thru beast abilities!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Well, it's both true and false. The F2 or beast ability is always impactful thanks to the help of traits like poison master, invigorating bond, go for the eyes, beastly warden or wilting strike. That said, most of the core pets have prohibitive CD associated to awful cast time for very little impact when they aren't traited.

Why take an murellow and it's 35s CD low impact poison field when you can proc poison master every 6s with the eagle? Why take an arctodus when the same eagle have less than half the CD and an almost instant hit for the same effect?

There is value to the various F2 but why the heck is there some much disparity in CD and cast time? Why are some of those skill made totally unplayable? The very first thing the devs should do is bring down every F2 CD to 25s and below. The second thing would be to reduce the pet's cast time of the F2 skills to half a second.

Ou yeah i totally agree. I mainly focussed on the F2 themselves not the traits.

• Like 2

Until ANet decides to decimate the upteen different pets and condense them all into five categories with maybe five stat variations, pets will be a nightmare to balance, and won't ever get touched. Soulbeast had the right idea, and Untamed continued it: make them more uniform in effect. Just needs follow-through.