How is rifle deadeye?

Twilightmage.8309

As the topic says, I'm on the quest to find my main in gw2 and was curious about deadeye for all game modes. Does it preform well enough to do all the content in the game? I was liking longbow DH but then found out its pretty awful in pve, and tried virtuoso to find its awful in pvp/wvw and im worried that might happen again with deadeye. So i guess what are people's opinions on deadeye and how does it compare to other ranged specs?.

Personally? I love it. I do wvw roaming on rifle deadeye. I occasionally do strikes and fractals on rifle deadeye. I'm sitting here with 455/455 mastery points, most of which I've gotten by playing rifle deadeye. Buuuuut…

• There will be times when it doesn't work — or doesn't work with what everyone else is doing — and you'll want to swap builds. This is normal for all classes in the game.

• The Invigorating Precision nerf makes it less self-sufficient and user-friendly than it used to be.

• Compared to Daredevil or Specter, you will have a harder time performing the thief's normal role in SPvP.

• The modal mobile/immobile playstyle may not be everyone's cup of tea.

What's fun about Deadeye?

• The Maleficent Seven resource cycle insures you're basically never "just auto-attacking."

• The basic rotation is easy to understand and gives you a bit of room for improvisation.

• Deadeye works great with all the core thief weapons! If you run into a situation that rifle can't solve, M7 will let you spam high-value abilities like Head Shot or Cluster Bomb just as easily.

• You are very self-sufficient. Self-buff with 25 Might, Fury, Swiftness, even some tolerable Protection uptime. Condi cleanse on demand. Stealth-stacking on demand. There is very little that you can't figure out how to do, once you learn the ins and outs of your abilities. You can get 20k DPS solo in open world without going full "raid build."

• You actually do have some decent ranged cleave on rifle (it's a piercing line attack).

• The audio cues are pretty good, I find that this makes it easier to sequence my skills correctly.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ASP.8093 said:

The modal mobile/immobile playstyle may not be everyone's cup of tea.

I don't think that the "modal mobile/ immobile playstyle" is what turns most people of. The biggest issue with the "immobile playstyle" itself is that there are weapon sets for other classes which have more range than DEs "sniper mode" while they also don't have to suffer from any self inflicted CC (or better: any other drawbacks at all).

If anything that what's actually annoying about DEs rifle playstyle is that they want to force mobility into a stationary playstyle by making you jump around like a monkey "just cause".

Edited by Tails.9372

11 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

I don't think that the "modal mobile/ immobile playstyle" is what turns most people of. The biggest issue with the "immobile playstyle" itself is that there are weapon sets for other classes which have more range than DEs "sniper mode" while they also don't have to suffer from any self inflicted CC (or better: any other drawbacks at all).

If anything that what's actually annoying about DEs rifle playstyle is that they want to force mobility into a stationary playstyle by making you jump around like a monkey "just cause".

Ranger LB has 1500 range can do the "snipe" while moving. Also can do it on stealth. 

Some people seem to not have trouble with rotating and mobility with Rifle DE in spvp and in WvW it's awesome. ASP gave a great break down. I'll add that like with other thief specs, it has it's unique way of moving around, so you'd need to know if traveling with Rifle and whatever your swap is will allow you to vibe if you're looking for your main build.

Rambling you can skim through or ignore:

If your internal clock can keep track of Initiative then you can be a little free using Death's Retreat for map travel, even in WvW, but you'll want to know how to de-target so you can pan camera with near max camera pan speed in settings (About Face is alright but doesn't take advantage of muscle memory very well. You don't have to de-target in Action Cam to move freely with Death's Retreat though), and be able to land it where you want instinctively and with the orientation you need to get right back to fighting. It's sometimes what gets me out of a nasty SMC fight (take care, it can have funky trajectory and land you in bad spots like around the stairs) or getting jumped by a zerg where other builds might not let me bounce out (a long press on Death's Retreat for a double Leap eats up Initiative but creates distance or gives double leap Stealth duration off of Smoke)

You should also get used to being in a moving fight then going into Kneel and placing a Snipers Cover real quick. It's good cover when you're group is peeling out of an area and it's a Smoke Field to Leap off of or roll over if you get pounded by Projectiles suddenly. 

I toggle a lot between default and Action Camera. Action camera can be a little off targeting friendlies and there will be some places that might be more difficult to jump over with Death's Retreat because you can't get full birds eye view or the trajectory is just a little too different (like I can still scale the fence at Ogre Camp on EB map but I'll get stuck sometimes in Action Cam: I take time when the team's held up to test different leveled jumps, terrain negotiation, and obstacles) but it's mostly a natural feel and cuts down on pivot time when turning or circle strafing since your character turns immediately, and landing placement with Death's Retreat feels more fluid in Action Camera also. 

Edited by kash.9213

2 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

The biggest issue with the "immobile playstyle" itself is that there are weapon sets for other classes which have more range than DEs "sniper mode" while they also don't have to suffer from any self inflicted CC (or better: any other drawbacks at all).

That's only longbow ranger.

The thing with Kneel is that you're not doing it to outrange anyone, you're doing it to do more damage. The extra 300 range mostly serves to create a buffer zone so other classes with 1200-range weapons can't "dance" in and out of your attacks while delivering their own. Three-Round Burst is pretty strong in PvE. Immobilize spam on Spotter's Shot can very quickly get a targeted focused down in a small team fight, Sniper's Cover is a respectable counter to a lot of other professions' long-range nonsense. In WvW/SPvP you mostly want to stay mobile and focus on Skirmisher's Shot and Death's Retreat instead, especially due to anet's mess of 3RB scaling.

Edited by ASP.8093