Change the name of "Infantile Mode," please

VerdantThorn.9345

1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

Casual mode.

No.  Let's call it easy mode.  It's easier for people who don't enjoy harder content.  Casual doesn't = 🥔

Take my friend, for instance.  She's a self-described "non-gamer".  She doesn't feel comfortable in group content, so we mostly stick to open world/story content or WvW roaming.  This is all casual-friendly content.  There aren't 9 other players counting on you to show up on a schedule and perform up to their expectations.  You aren't costing anybody rating or throwing the tournament if you make a mistake.  She can do it all on her own time, which is usually an hour or two per night.

SAB is casual content, too.  Nobody cares if you die 100 times or take 30 minutes to clear a zone that has a world record time of 3 minutes.  And wouldn't you know?  She's cleared 4/6 zones on tribulation mode so far, too.

• Confused 3

On 4/2/2022 at 2:05 AM, KeoLegend.5132 said:

See, thats the excuse you can use when you are wrong. Avoid the subject, call me names and move on instead of arguing. It just proves my point and makes it clear to everyone else that someone here got a victim complex

"Victim complex"? 😂

I never said I agreed with the OP. But personal attacks don't make you right, and unempathic reactions are simply rude and misplaced in a civil conversation.

Anyway, let me quote the only sensible response in this thread, perhaps you can learn from them:

On 4/2/2022 at 2:05 AM, Kieyt.3108 said:

>>

The achievements are also a tongue-in-cheek nod to the games that hand out achievements for doing basically nothing.  Stuff like "started the game!"  "jumped for the first time!"  "Opened the settings menu!"  It is - again - not calling YOU a baby.  It's an absolute mockery of that game trend that was going on for awhile.  SAB isn't poking fun at the players - it's poking fun at the games industry in general.    As for "Infantile" itself not being part of Asura vocabulary - most of the language used in SAB isn't.  Look at how the few NPCs talk.  "Bubble Baubles."  Etc.  Moto isn't using normal Asura words in the game because, well, it's a game.  A game where the characters within aren't even asuras (they appear to be mostly humans and a few elves).  It's a lot like many fantasy RPGs using "ye olde English" in that respect - Moto is using terminology and words that make "sense" in his setting. 

This also isn't a normal area in the game.  Super Adventure Box is _literally_ a video game within the world of GW2.  So those achievements COULD very well be in-game/in-character.  It's incredibly cheeky and 4th wall breaky.

While I am against changing the name because I think it is a fantastic joke and changing it won't make it land, I do sympathize with your situation.  I really hope you're able to find a way to mentally shift your viewpoint and understand that it is the mode - and the practices within that mode - that are being called infantile - not you or anyone playing the mode.    I know how you feel - I see you.  And I wish more people here had been more civil.  The unfortunate reality is you are basically playing buzzkill during an event a lot of people look forward to every year.  May not be your intent, and people should definitely stay civil, but that's definitely why you're running into the more... enthusiastic opposition.

>>

It's actually pretty common for words to be at least censored from player language options but still used in game.  For example, Final Fantasy XIV will censor the word "w***e," but characters use the term themselves ("whoreson" being a particularly notable example).    They're also not outright banned - just filtered by default and can be turned off.   It's more to meet a checkbox for the ESRB and other critic groups.

And as for the "R**** mode" that wouldn't make any sense and wouldn't work with the joke (aside from being horribly offensive).  Because THEN the mode is calling the player something and would imply the mode is for the disabled.  It is not.  Infantile describes the MODE, and the mode BABIES the player.  It treats the player like a baby to the point of being so overly pandering: rainbow clouds that basically bypass the entire level, empty "participation" achievements, etc.    It isn't calling the player bad or incompetent.  The mode itself is infantile to the point of comically missing the point.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 4/3/2022 at 12:52 PM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

No.  Let's call it easy mode.  It's easier for people who don't enjoy harder content.  Casual doesn't = 🥔

Take my friend, for instance.  She's a self-described "non-gamer".  She doesn't feel comfortable in group content, so we mostly stick to open world/story content or WvW roaming.  This is all casual-friendly content.  There aren't 9 other players counting on you to show up on a schedule and perform up to their expectations.  You aren't costing anybody rating or throwing the tournament if you make a mistake.  She can do it all on her own time, which is usually an hour or two per night.

SAB is casual content, too.  Nobody cares if you die 100 times or take 30 minutes to clear a zone that has a world record time of 3 minutes.  And wouldn't you know?  She's cleared 4/6 zones on tribulation mode so far, too.

🥔<-- what is that it looks rude and lewd.

On 4/6/2022 at 8:28 AM, Infinity.2876 said:

I'm not sure anyone who plays gw2 enjoys story mode on any game what so ever

Or they disguise it by playing necro 😒

I love Story mode. its all i play..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

54 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

🥔<-- what is that it looks rude and lewd.

Potato I believe. They mean "casual doesn't equal to a potato".

54 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

I love Story mode.

And I agree, I enjoy story enought that after doing personal story I run in-game farms to buy Living World and be able to do all the story in the correct order.

• Like 1

I was actually lamenting infantile mode's existence too last night OP. I also find the mode insulting. The droll nature of running from cloud to cloud, and the way they crap out rainbows and giggle as if I have a freaking choice in the matter infuriates me. I find it ridiculous that certain achievements requiring infantile mode cannot just be auto completed by playing one of the proper, grown up modes. But NOOooOoo, I have to play my favourite festival in a diaper to get all the achievements. I was even MORE annoyed to find that hard light weapons and even reality rig mk3 could be gained without doing tribulation runs. What? Where is the skill? Arena Net plz. I am your biggest fan and so you must (I demand it) understand this all comes from a place of love: please in future require new skins to be unlocked only by finishing tribulation mode. Also turn infantile clouds into trib clouds by low chance. kthxbye.

• Confused 6

1 hour ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

I was even MORE annoyed to find that hard light weapons and even reality rig mk3 could be gained without doing tribulation runs. What? Where is the skill? Arena Net plz. I am your biggest fan and so you must (I demand it) understand this all comes from a place of love: please in future require new skins to be unlocked only by finishing tribulation mode.

Tribulation mode does have it specific skins already though, that cannot be sold on tp. Hardlight ones can and are sadly from anyoing rng containers.

16 minutes ago, Atria.6729 said:

Tribulation mode does have it specific skins already though, that cannot be sold on tp. Hardlight ones can and are sadly from anyoing rng containers.

Yeah all after the first one, which I was appreciative of. I actually thought they were a new 'one a year' type deal to make them a bit rarer but nope. Just a new thing to rng farm. Will still do trib for the bubbles but even one of the infusions can now be gotten without doing the requisite 16 completions per zone in trib. Trib needs a new 'cool thing' IMO, not just a title or extra achievement points, but a big flashy sign that says 'nyerr, I am better than you'.

• Confused 3

There are baby clouds pooping rainbows all over the place. You can judge their age from their sounds - trust me I'm a cloud expert, and they're nothing like a grumpy old aged tribulation cloud. That's why it's called infantile. Not because of players being "infantile". See it like that.

Did i mention my research on cloud mating ritual calls yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 11 months later...

Idk, I'd ask myself a question or two if I got bothered by a word in a videogame. I'd also ask myself how much free time I have if I can ponder, think and write poems on such a pointless thing like a word when the world has oh so much bigger problems for which nobody is truly moving.

As one that got through sab only through infantile mode I never felt offended, in fact, in the spirit of sab, it was something me and my friends always laughed at. Would they have called it potato mode or whatever other terms, I still wouldn't have been felt offended by that. It's just a word in a game, doesn't impact whatsoever your real life... even if all this thing makes me think some people put really too much weight on their ingame performances and stuff.

last but not least, you completely missed the spirit, the concept, of sab itself which is double disappointing as I'd expect you had the time to see it before writing down such poem of nonsense.

Nonetheless.... congratulation for a useless battle fought and won!

P.S.: you realize the rest of the community will keep on calling it infantile mode, right?

Edited by NightDreamer.7423
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

While I don't really care much about that name change, I think the previous one was better and I find it rather weird/sad that some people managed to take offense by the easy mode being called infantile. Oh well 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 8
  • Confused 8

When I first started playing gw2 and experienced my first sab, I was confused by the word infantile. I had to google what it meant since English is not my first language and infant to me was something new as I use the word baby. It was no big deal really, I learned a new word. But I can see others wondering the same when they first start the event. Maybe they chose to change it to something easier to understand. Speculating here, but that came to my mind when they chose to change it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, godfat.2604 said:

It’s a bummer that it didn’t get renamed to Happy Cloud mode. That’s always been what I was/am calling it. We talk to the happy cloud to get into the happy cloud mode, yes? Exploration mode is so boring. It says nothing.

exploration mode brings me back to 2012-2015 dungeon running.

• Like 1