Dodge Jumps and Inconsistency [ SAB's Weird requirement]

Witch of Steam.5138

The Dodge jump has long been an absolutely Necessary Part of The SAB's Trib Mode . 

In fact, if you're unable to do them, you can't progress past World 1-2 ( Dark forest checkpoint ) 

So , my question is : Why Not make them more consistent? 

The input window is narrow enough That most people program a Macro to do it. 

Which isn't Good. Needing a macro to complete a necessary game function ( for achievement hunters / people like me who run trib casually) 

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to do this, At least I hope. 

But It would be a massive quality-of-Life Increase that, at least right now, Is almost as ignored as some of the old bugs in SAB 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Always doing trib without dodge jump. Afaik the old Dulfy vids recommended it at the jumping stones in W1-Z2 and near the end in W2-Z3 at the bridge with the wind (bridge disappears when walking on it).

Clever timing in the latter one does not need dodge jump. And for the first one I managed to bait the rock to jump first ... then moving there past it quickly before it jumps again.

Edited by Luthan.5236

10 hours ago, Witch of Steam.5138 said:

You know I've NEVER seen It done without Dodge jumps, so I just assumed it was necessary.

It's indeed not necessary, but there are at least two spots I can think of where it saves you a bit of a time.

10 hours ago, Witch of Steam.5138 said:

Even then , How DO you bait that stone.

Jump on that second small platform, do a 180° turn immediately, then jump back at the previous platform, do another U turn and jump on the second platform again, then the evil rock, and hop over on the tree root. You've got to be fast.

Edited by Ashantara.8731

I used the dulfy method for years and it was always very difficult for me to orient myself to make the correct jumps quickly enough to make it across. Dodge jumping is definitely the most consistent way for me. But there's another easier way in addition to that great one posted above. 

Potions are a stun break. The knockback from the rocks is cancellable with a stun break. It takes some practice and I usually end up drinking an extra potion when I do it to show people, but if you go from the first rock quickly across the second and to the bouncing one, and spams a potion as you land on it, it will cancel the knockback and allow you to cross safely. It's shown in this video. The rest of the video and other videos by that person have lots of trib mode skips as well if you're interested in that. Happy pain mode! 🙂
https://youtu.be/3olaW1DftI4?t=129

Edited by Spero.1283
make link clickable
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spero.1283 said:

Potions are a stun break. The knockback from the rocks is cancellable with a stun break. It takes some practice and I usually end up drinking an extra potion when I do it to show people, but if you go from the first rock quickly across the second and to the bouncing one, and spams a potion as you land on it, it will cancel the knockback and allow you to cross safely. It's shown in this video.

Oof! Spamming another key/button sounds more stressful than simply doing two quick U turns and jumps.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:39 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Oof! Spamming another key/button sounds more stressful than simply doing two quick U turns and jumps.

It is. I had an enormous amount of trouble finishing 1-2 on a trackpad. It's, for lack of a better term, pure trash. You CAN'T do a 180. Potions are cool, but if you mess up 9 times you're stuck starting the zone again and buying more. Dodge jumps work... but you can't actually bind them with in-game tools. So they shouldn't be considered part of the kit. What got me past then was the inconsistent way the rocks work; sometimes it would jump late, or not at all, and I could get past.

Now I finally have a mouse and can bait it. I find it much easier, which is a good thing because SAB seems to be way more unstable this year. I'm getting dropped all the time and actually wanted to finish the King Toad weapons.

I don't think dodge jump is actually supposed to work, it just does occasionally perhaps due to how the animation system is implemented. I imagine at some point it will be on a bug fix list and we'll have to suffer trib The Way It's Meant To Be Played. I also bind it to a macro, and I lock framerate to 60fps and turn graphical effects down in SAB as well, because framerate massively affects jump timing in my experience.

Edited by nosleepdemon.1368

On 3/31/2022 at 10:44 PM, Witch of Steam.5138 said:

Oh, Huh. 

You know I've NEVER seen It done without Dodge jumps, so I just assumed it was necessary. 

Even then , How DO you bait that stone. I'd have to draw it out to show you how I think it'd be done but it's barely 0645 . Insomniac hours going on still 

I don't bait it (I've tried but failed every time). If you jump from the first small rock (not the second, too close to the angry rock), jump and run along the shortest edge of the angry rock on the left and make a jump to the leaves, by the time the rock hits you, you'll bounce up the leaf instead of into the lava. I might have ping on my side being in Australia, though. It took a LOT of tries to work that out the first time...Also, the info about the potions being a stunbreak is very interesting...

Edited by kiri.1467

13 hours ago, kiri.1467 said:

I don't bait it (I've tried but failed every time). If you jump from the first small rock (not the second, too close to the angry rock), jump and run along the shortest edge of the angry rock on the left and make a jump to the leaves, by the time the rock hits you, you'll bounce up the leaf instead of into the lava. I might have ping on my side being in Australia, though. It took a LOT of tries to work that out the first time...Also, the info about the potions being a stunbreak is very interesting...

Every time I have tried to bait that rock I have failed... Except this year, where jumping between the small rocks worked every time. Go figure!