I feel excluded from EoD because Soo Won meta event is too hard

1 minute ago, Kotarnus.6217 said:

Indeed, I wouldn't mind if they leave the last boss as it is if they make it worthwhile to do the entire meta despite failing the boss. Right now it's way too much of an all or nothing scenario for such a long meta in my opinion. 

Some nuclear rocket surgeon at fast farming calculated that the meta is the most rewarding thing in the game because it only takes half an hour, and there is a distinct fear that ANet is looking at that (and not own metrics) and going "yeah, needs no improvement". Remember Catalyst? Yeah.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

For the people that find this meta too hard, which of the following steps would you be prepared to take in order to significantly improve your chances of beating the meta:

• copy a build from a known-good-builds website
  • test own/copied build against aerodrome golem
  • invest 1 hour before the event to do the pre phases
  • join a discord and coordinate with other players
  • join a group as quickness or alacrity team support
  • seek and accept feedback on build and playstyle
  • attempt the event for days and days and days
  • invest in higher tier or more specialized equipment
  • play a team support build with little offensive power
  • ask around or lurk on LFG for an organized group

Note: Confusies cometh, so just want to clarify that I am not saying "do this or fail", I am legitimately asking. Each of these points increases your odds by a fair percentage. Doing them might be outside your comfort zone, but I'm really interested which of these you'd be willing to do...

I'm part of the confused stare, almost none of them seems ok for me. As I trust my build to be good, and my skill to be efficient too

yet I still feel that this meta is a mess, maybe not that difficult. but messy yes.

Discord shouldn't be a mandatory option, its a third party program.

Half of your suggestion imply that our equipment and build is wrong. I'm just pointing it out.

to honestly answer your question : I already seek for LFG when I want to do meta events, and I tend to prepare at least 30 min before it happen.

Edited by Mithrilos.8036
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mithrilos.8036 said:

I'm part of the confused stare, almost none of them seems ok for me. As I trust my build to be good, and my skill to be efficient too

I remember your build from last thread.
If you joined a group and a commander asked you to take a banner of discipline, would you consider that unreasonable?
Additionally, if you trust your build to be good and skill efficient, why would you be opposed to just seeing what it does on a static golem, to get a baseline?

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

I remember your build from last thread.
If you joined a group and a commander asked you to take a banner of discipline, would you consider that unreasonable?
Additionally, if you trust your build to be good and skill efficient, why would you be opposed to just seeing what it does on a static golem, to get a baseline?

My build isn't hard fixed, I can swap my twi signs for banner, I had this option in mind.

EDIT I tested my build on the golem, I know what dps I'm doing against it. ( that was just for informative purpose, because everyone seems to think its a holy thing ) 

EDIT 2 : So to answer you : No I won't mind, because there is a whole gap between changing your whole build, and asking for a specific item for the meta event. It won't modify the base line of my build so I'm fine with that.

Edited by Mithrilos.8036
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DerAlteSack.3572 said:

I still think, that difficulty isn't the problem. The problem is that you don't get anything for spending 2h on a meta when you fail it. I am pretty sure, that people wouldn't be as upset about this whole thing if they would still get a decent reward for spending their time on this map. 

It is a combination of several factors that each reinforce negative aspects of others: rewards obtained per time invested, reward spread (and its binary nature), and difficulty.

Most players do not like to invest their time in events just fo keep failing over and over again. Most players do not like to invest a lot of their time just for meager rewards. And most players definitely do not like to invest a lot of time for rewards, when they are unlikely to obtain those rewards due to high probability of event failure.

In general, it's okay for meta to take a lot of time, if the rewards for it are good. It is okay for meta to offer all of its rewards at the end, if chances of failing are very low. It is also okay for meta to be difficult and have low chances of succeeding, if it doesn't take a lot of time and the rewards for success outweight the potential for failure, or if it rewards partial success stages well enough.

Notice, how DE breaks all of those four rules.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

1. copy a build from a known-good-builds website
  2. test own/copied build against aerodrome golem
  3. invest 1 hour before the event to do the pre phases
  4. join a discord and coordinate with other players
  5. join a group as quickness or alacrity team support
  6. seek and accept feedback on build and playstyle
  7. attempt the event for days and days and days
  8. invest in higher tier or more specialized equipment
  9. play a team support build with little offensive power
  10. ask around or lurk on LFG for an organized group
  •  

If I wanted to complete the meta:

1. Yes, I would as I'm already "relying" on metabattle.

2. No. This sounds as boring as cramming vocabulary in middle school.

3. It's tedious, but why not.

4. Ugh... I greatly dislike voice chat in gaming, even if it's just listening. If I'm feeling "good"/"highly motivated", I'd say maybe.

5. No. Farming gold is boring.

6. Accepting feedback, I can, but there's non guarentee I'd acually play enough or consistently to improve.

7. No, I'd get probably burnt out or lose interest after a while, especially if it's day after day with multiple attempts within a day.

8. If farming gold or currency wouldn't be so boring, sure.

9. Support geaer is expensive, so 5. and 8. applies.

10. Dunno. Being proactive and communciative isn't listed as an advantage on my CV.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Mithrilos.8036 said:

My build isn't hard fixed, I can swap my twi signs for banner, I had this option in mind.

EDIT I tested my build on the golem, I know what dps I'm doing against it. ( that was just for informative purpose, because everyone seems to think its a holy thing ) 

EDIT 2 : So to answer you : No I won't mind, because there is a whole gap between changing your whole build, and asking for a specific item for the meta event. It won't modify the base line of my build so I'm fine with that.

Okay, so that's at least three of the actions you're actually ready to take. Nice!

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Everything struck through is what I would not do. Now to say why. 

Copying a build from a meta site is frustrating, especially if you don't have the dexterity or concentration to pull them off. I'm getting older, my reflexes are shot in part due to a seizure and possibly a small stroke; I have no desire to push myself into a full blown panic because I'm not following a meta and people are going to throw insults. Oh and I also have really bad anxiety. Go me.

Testing my own build would require me to a) join a group/find a person to join and to be quite honest, I'm not that good at monitoring a bunch of numbers in an attempt to milk something that, in the long run, won't mean much. I consider it a win if the people I'm helping don't die/takes less damage/can deal better damage; as I said, running a meta build is not possible for me. 

I would actually not mind investing an hour of prep work if it would help other players to have a successful run; hell, I do it on strategy games all the times. (I realize that this is an MMORPG and most strategy games are single player, but I would be willing to take the time to plan things, including the mentality of other players.)

Discord is negotiable, but I would prefer not to get on Discord because, well, bad anxiety and it can cause me to lock up and just perform like complete and utter kitten.

Joining a group is about the same reason as above, but with the extra bonus (?) of having my stats ran through a DPS gambit and as I said before, it gives me bad anxiety and makes me perform emphatically worse. I don't want to be the person to sabotage other people. 

I actually don't mind following advice, provided it comes with the intent of helping as opposed to just blasting about how great they are. That's how I've improved over the years and there are still many years to come. 

Trying over and over again is...well...this is weird. Going into a battle expecting defeat kind of sets you up for failure.  Going in with a "we may lose, but this might be the round that we're victorious" attitude does actually help. That's not to say that the people that are feeling frustrated aren't valid in their feelings; I completely understand. I am saying, though, that failure is always an option, but so is success. 

As for investing in different equipment, I'd only do that if a strategy remains valid/viable over time as opposed to a mayfly summer. I see no point in improving my gear if it will just change the next meta. Also, I'm poor. XD

I actually do play a build like that on my FB, I focus on healing and increased boon duration. The only down-side is, is that the people that are around me are the only people that are receiving that kind of thing because...anxiety.

As for LFG, well, anxiety+ things coming up=me not being very reliable and that would suck. 

Sorry for the wall of text. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tsakhi.8124 said:

Copying a build from a meta site is frustrating, especially if you don't have the dexterity or concentration to pull them off. I'm getting older, my reflexes are shot in part due to a seizure and possibly a small stroke; I have no desire to push myself into a full blown panic because I'm not following a meta and people are going to throw insults. Oh and I also have really bad anxiety. Go me.

Feel like I should point out that several known-good-builds sites have a healthy amount of low-intensity builds that you might find success with. Builds specifically designed to not require high dexterity piano play or 200+ APM or keeping track if nineteen separate effects or whatever.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Feel like I should point out that several known-good-builds sites have a healthy amount of low-intensity builds that you might find success with. Builds specifically designed to not require high dexterity piano play or 200+ APM or keeping track if nineteen separate effects or whatever.

Thanks! I might check those out, later!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KeoLegend.5132 said:

i dont care.

neither Anet

i will gladly open my wallet and pay whatever you would pay just so Anet wont miss your wallet at  all.

Everyone should at least try the harder content. Thats exactly what Gift of Battle is: Try WvW for a couple days.

Thats what the turtle saddle is: Try THIS STRIKE ONCE

Anet is doing this great and i praise it for doing so

Anet can scream at me to try out Strikes and Raids or anything as much as they want, if I have decided that I don't wan't to do it, its not a mount that is going to convince me otherwise 😛

TBH, I only have the basic mount, and did not care about the others ( I hate skyscale '-' don't hit me pls), havn't even tryed to get the turtle. I'm using those given by the meta event, either way I don't care. But again, its just me ( I have a specific reason for not liking mounts, and its not really the topic here, so I won't continue about this )

Edited by Mithrilos.8036
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

For the people that find this meta too hard, which of the following steps would you be prepared to take in order to significantly improve your chances of beating the meta:

Note: Confusies cometh, so just want to clarify that I am not saying "do this or fail", I am legitimately asking. Each of these points increases your odds by a fair percentage. Doing them might be outside your comfort zone, but I'm really interested which of these you'd be willing to do...

I've done all of those except for the quickness alacrity thing, as I feel I don't have the proper gear to pull it off and the expense and/or time required to get it is prohibitive. Working on it, though, because I've become aware of how beneficial those particular boons are.

I absolutely HATE discord so that one is a non-starter. Teamspeak with friends, sure. That was par for the course a few years ago in lots of games. Sadly, I'm pretty much the only one of my group still playing. Anything with a bunch of people I don't know? Nope.

As for the LFG thing, I'm not particularly interested in the turtle, so I haven't pursued DE as strenuously as some. The only event I've looked for on LFG has been the Kaineng City one. Took a couple of days before I was able to get into the right map for that one. The first time I managed to get through DE I was just in the right place at the right time (playing my bladesworn) when an organized group was forming. On my second successful DE run I was in there mapping and testing a hybrid support build on my seldom-played ranger (after spending way too much gold to get him geared up -- ouch), and the group just sort of came together -- and succeeded with time to spare, which really surprised me. I posted about it that very night in another thread. Almost at the same time, someone else posted about another miserable failure. /e shrug

I haven't posted any builds asking for feedback, but I do peruse the profession sub-forums and watch videos for insight on why certain things work. I don't think I'll ever be able to execute a 30+ step rotation, though. Jiminy freaking Cricket on a pogo stick. Dunno if that counts as a 'yes' or 'no'. Heh.

So, my position on it remains the same: anet dropped the ball on this event, it's bad, mm-kay, for reasons I've already stated elsewhere in the other threads.

Anyway, that's my story. I'd like for Nicolas Cage to portray me if it ever gets filmed, and for Bobcat Goldthwait to do the requisite narration. /e bow

Edited by Tachenon.5270
prufe raedeng
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mithrilos.8036 said:

Anet can scream at me to try out Strikes and Raids or anything as much as they want, if I have decided that I don't wan't to do it, its not a mount that is going to convince me otherwise 😛

TBH, I only have the basic mount, and did not care about the others ( I hate skyscale '-' don't hit me pls), havn't even tryed to get the turtle. I'm using those given by the meta event, either way I don't care. But again, its just me ( I have a specific reason for not liking mounts, and its not really the topic here, so I won't continue about this )

its very ok brother.

As long as you don't complain :"buaa buaa, Anet give me skyscale without making grind or do something i dont want too buaaa" you're pretty much good to go

i have some stuff that i don't like and understand that if i dont to that content i dont deserve the reward associated with it

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

13 minutes ago, KeoLegend.5132 said:

its very ok brother.

As long as you don't complain :"buaa buaa, Anet give me skyscale without making grind or do something i dont want too buaaa" you're pretty much good to go

i have some stuff that i don't like and understand that if i dont to that content i dont deserve the reward associated with it

Hum...ok, first off I'm not really the type of guy who complaign, I'm more focused about finding solutions. Secondly I will never ask Anet to give me a Skyscale because I actually don't want one. lol...

Edited by Mithrilos.8036
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Kotarnus.6217 said:

Indeed, I wouldn't mind if they leave the last boss as it is if they make it worthwhile to do the entire meta despite failing the boss. Right now it's way too much of an all or nothing scenario for such a long meta in my opinion. 

The  main reason I've been repeating it is to get up to 455/455 mastery points quicker, tbh. If not for that or the desire to say I've beaten it, I'd probably have stopped forever as soon as I got the first win. The chest reward is just too inconsistent to be worth it imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Erise.5614 said:

Join squads where? And when?

Could region make a difference?

Because my LFG experience has been extremely different. Cleared it 4 times as well but only once with a PUG and with over a dozen PUG fails. 

I admit it's not that easy, but during peak hours in EU (evening) I map hop a lot while doing other stuff and once in a while I peek into DE and check the meta status and if there's a tag, then I check if the tag is just there for the jade maw, and if I see they are preparing the meta I stick in that map instance. If they are open to anyone I join, if they ask for dumb stuff such as 250LI I stay in the map outside of  squad and then join for the final fight and leech the clear.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, KeoLegend.5132 said:

Sounds like your problem and not anet.

That completely depends on how many people are affected.

If one person, or a handful of people have this problem, it's on them. If however it's something that affects a lot of players, it does become Anet's problem at this point.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

This meta is too much of a step up at once for a huge percentage of the player base. And they know it.

Also chasing a tail back and forth because of dummy rng is not fun at all and don't help in making it clear what to attack for new/casual players.

There is clearly a need for meta events in between the current ones (stay at once place, get boons and you'll get gold auto attacking) and dragon's end (move everywhere, look for orange AoE in between a visual clusterf*k of players spells, move back and forth from A to B).

I doubt developers are actually playing the game with PUG, seems that this meta was created with guilds in mind. This is fine but it doesn't have it's place in Open World in the current state. Requiring sub groups and commanders actively calling out every mechanic because the game is not explicit enough is not fine for Open World.

Don't get me wrong, I like this meta, but again, this is not an Open World worthy meta, not with what the game is "teaching" players anyway.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

If one person, or a handful of people have this problem, it's on them. If however it's something that affects a lot of players, it does become Anet's problem at this point.

So far they don't seem to have a problem. Also I am always kinda amused by the "I won't give you money unless you do what I want" people. I mean technically I could say, that I won't give them any more money if they don't give us, I don't know, Horse skins?

That would of course completly omit the fact, that I havn't bought anything in the gemstor for the last 4-5 years. Or that I still bought EoD, despite telling myself that I won't, because I assumed that I would hate Fishing, Skiffs, Turtle and Cantha. Pretty much everything they were advertising. And yes, turned out I do hate Fishing, Skiffs and Turtle and I still think another location would have been better than Cantha. But all-in-all I am pretty happy with the expansion.

Also kinda got off-topic there... Sorry for the rambling, time to go to bed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

BUT it doesn't, so...

Edited by KeoLegend.5132
  • Like 1
  • Confused 11

Can we get a merge for these threads as the discusion is spinning in circles and nothing new gets added to them?

Meta is harder than most, some ppl are upset, some are not, fixes are being made, some ppl are still upset, some ppl are upset that changes were made, ppl are upset that ppl are upset one way or the other, more fixes happen, ppl are upset that it's still too hard...

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

2 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Another one with "gitgut" tips forgetting the most important thing required for this meta: Pray to RNGesus for good mechanic rolls. Everything on your list is "optional" at best.
This meta isn't hard because of difficult mechanics, it's hard because of RNG rolls. Stop confusing luck with skill.

• Like 9
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1