Is fun not allowed?

Buzzbugs.1236

I've been trying to enjoy the PvP this season but I continuously keep running into oppressive specs over and over again and I'm unable to enjoy. I play Druid and have been since HoT.

I know what you're going to say, "thats not meta, that's why it's difficult" so I'm not allowed to play a spec that I personally find enjoyable? so I'm not allowed to have fun and I only exist as canon fodder for the elite specs. Ok. Fun game mode.. not.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

Which oppressive specs?

the ones that do like 30k dps on you, CC you from full health to death, drop 100 conditions on you. You clear them, then they drop another condi bomb on you. Some of them have so much mobility it is impossible to disengage from a losing team fight. so much cheap cheesy things going on everywhere.. it's hard to be specific. It's all of it really!

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 1

kitten like that is annoying but you have to build around it to have fun. 
Hate getting CC’d to death? Take lots of stability skills.

Hate getting bursted down? Pick defensive talents/amulets

No build is immune to everything but if you focus on the stuff you hate the most, pretty much every spec/class has a build that can avoid/nullify it to some degree. 

For example I like being fast and mobile and hate being locked in CC, so I’ve found power Herald to be a lot of fun. Herald is weak to condi and can’t handle being focused for long, but I’m happy with that trade off. I could run paladin amulet dwarf stance and sw/shield instead of sw/sw, and be very tanky but then my damage would be in the toilet. 

Most of the meta builds are very good in one or two areas, but weak in others. You can tweak them for a more rounded approach but that will cost you in the areas they specialize in. Oftentimes that can be a more fun way to play though. 

Edited by Tulkas.2576
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I've been trying to enjoy the PvP this season but I continuously keep running into oppressive specs over and over again and I'm unable to enjoy. I play Druid and have been since HoT.

I know what you're going to say, "thats not meta, that's why it's difficult" so I'm not allowed to play a spec that I personally find enjoyable? so I'm not allowed to have fun and I only exist as canon fodder for the elite specs. Ok. Fun game mode.. not.

Druid is actually very strong in this meta but you need to be running the right build so it is setup to actually counter the things in this meta that are weak to condi. You have to let go of the idea of sword/dagger dodgey dodge and go for sheer condi DPS output aggression. It can keep Mechs off nodes or at last hold vs Mechs by focusing killing the Mech, not the Engi. It also in general counters most of the things in this meta, which are actually weak to high condi pressure. Also, let go of the CA Kit 12345 usage, it's virtually completely useless now. Your CA Kit in this build is used only for activation and then turn off for a full condi cleanse & stealth reposition. Sometimes, the #3 CA Kit AoE CC is used but don't worry about it for the heal, save it for the CC.

Try this:

• * Shortbow Energy/Agony - Axe & Torch Energy/Agony
  • * Rabid/Dolyak
  • * Smokescale + w/e other pet you want
  • * Load in this template code: [&DQQeLSEpBTV4AHgAlgGWAb8AvwC4ALgAwADtAC40FRMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

This spec is mainly meant as a team fighter but it is a competent side node vs. even Mechs and has few counters in 1v1s. Try to avoid 1v1s against Virtuoso "long range dagger shatters can counter you", Fire Weavers who are actually good, and strangely Willbender because it has a lot of cleanse and stays on top of you with teleports. Otherwise, you can win any 1v1 with this build and it does well in team fights.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Druid is actually very strong in this meta but you need to be running the right build so it is setup to actually counter the things in this meta that are weak to condi. You have to let go of the idea of sword/dagger dodgey dodge and go for sheer condi DPS output aggression. It can keep Mechs off nodes or at last hold vs Mechs by focusing killing the Mech, not the Engi. It also in general counters most of the things in this meta, which are actually weak to high condi pressure. Also, let go of the CA Kit 12345 usage, it's virtually completely useless now. Your CA Kit in this build is used only for activation and then turn off for a full condi cleanse & stealth reposition. Sometimes, the #3 CA Kit AoE CC is used but don't worry about it for the heal, save it for the CC.

Try this:

• * Shortbow Energy/Agony - Axe & Torch Energy/Agony
  • * Rabid/Dolyak
  • * Smokescale + w/e other pet you want
  • * Load in this template code: [&DQQeLSEpBTV4AHgAlgGWAb8AvwC4ALgAwADtAC40FRMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

This spec is mainly meant as a team fighter but it is a competent side node vs. even Mechs and has few counters in 1v1s. Try to avoid 1v1s against Virtuoso "long range dagger shatters can counter you", Fire Weavers who are actually good, and strangely Willbender because it has a lot of cleanse and stays on top of you with teleports. Otherwise, you can win any 1v1 with this build and it does well in team fights.

how do you survive with 0 mobility?
if rev and thief ports on you and holds m1, you just die? like whats the plan here

6 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

No, fun isn't allowed.  It was never allowed.  Success in GW2 PvP is dictated by patch notes more than player expression.  It has always been this way; the reality has just gotten more and more obvious to people once especs dropped.  The game continues to be a meta which orbits around a core of what amount to "d/d cele ele" rotation mashers and some sort of teleport/movement spammer.  You basically have to make your own fun up--but it's artificially difficult.

1 hour ago, FarmBotXD.1430 said:

how do you survive with 0 mobility?
if rev and thief ports on you and holds m1, you just die? like whats the plan here

Dude it's a Druid wearing Rabid/Dolyak that gets Prot on dodge rolls and perpetually cleanses condis. It has 2x stun breaks, it can stealth, spams a lot of immob to stop up opponent mobility, and the CDs cycle quickly. It's a kiting machine.

Here you go: Kiting - Example for forum - Twitch

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

No, gw2 doesnt allow you to have fun with non-meta build, I thought that was kind obvious, unless you have fun just playing and not winning

4 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Dude it's a Druid wearing Rabid/Dolyak that gets Prot on dodge rolls and perpetually cleanses condis. It has 2x stun breaks, it can stealth, spams a lot of immob to stop up opponent mobility, and the CDs cycle quickly. It's a kiting machine.

Here you go: Kiting - Example for forum - Twitch

this shows the problem. 3 dodges and you have nothing, rev herald + d/p wouldnt let this build play the game

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, FarmBotXD.1430 said:

this shows the problem. 3 dodges and you have nothing, rev herald + d/p wouldnt let this build play the game

He actually kited really well and survived lot of pressure.

Of course there isn't a build who can be immortal under constant outnumbered pressure. So what's your point? The OP wants to play druid, he provided him a good working build. Maybe he wont reach plat3 or legendary, I don't think the OP will care. At least he has something playable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1