Fishing and it's repetitive animation + voice acting

As people that are either into fishing or just doing the related achievements already know, every time you successfully catch a fish there's this cheerful animation  and voice acting that the character does. The thing is, it happens after E-V-E-R-Y single fish.. and for something that isn't a quick activity for most people, it gets old pretty quickly. I do appreciate that Anet cared to give an animation so it wouldn't be completely dull, but could it happen less often? Please? Like when you actually get a fish that's either in the ascended or legendary rarity maybe?

For those of you who may read this and think, wow that's a kitten request.. imagine if every time you looted anything of any rarity your character would say: "Wow that's quality armor!" but in reality it's just a bunch of blues and greens. Not only it would get old pretty quickly, it would drive people insane.

• Like 16
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

It's probably not as big a priority as adding a tackle box, improving the bait/lure UI, and getting the Fishing Party buff to a place where it isn't infuriating to accrue (and lose), but sure. I'd be happy if they eventually added alternating lines for this part or even if they allowed for some way of bypassing/skipping the 'ayyy look at this fish' animation. It doesn't add to the experience for me, especially since when you reel in trash your character still woops and holds up a trout.

Good foundations, but I do hope they keep improving the fishing experience here and there as time presents itself.

• Like 4

Too bad, they love repeating. Same thing as dialogues of NPCs which are repeated very often, especially annoying near crafting stations where you spend more time. It's trivial to make it better, but nooo, better force players to turn off sound or be annoyed.

Of course it would be good to change this as you described, but I wouldn't count on that as other repetitive voices are still here.

Basically they design game as it should be played once, like you should sightsee a city once, so not need to bother to make non repetitive voices, but at the same time they make achievement which encourage to repeat content. Make no sense at all.

Edited by DD39C89C-1C46-4F28-BDB7-49
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, DD39C89C-1C46-4F28-BDB7-49 said:

Too bad, they love repeating. Same thing as dialogues of NPCs which are repeated very often, especially annoying near crafting stations where you spend more time. It's trivial to make it better, but nooo, better force players to turn off sound or be annoyed.

I turn the sound off when crafting. Between the noise from some of the crafting benches and the endless repetitive NPCs it gets very annoying.

• Like 2

Can't remember when I set the 'Disable Player Chatter' from options but it was many many years ago. However, I have no idea if this options disables the fishing shouts, but might be worth a try. I mostly play without any game sounds/music since I like listening my own music playlist while gaming. The animation doesn't bother me that much.

Edited by Jukhy.2431

Turns out fishing is a low effort semi afk filler feature...who would have guessed. But it had to be a thing, thread over thread over thread for years "GW2 needs fishing", "Fishing would be so awesome", "Fishing when?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?". Then you tell ppl, that mmo fishing is just a low effort, semi afk filler waste of resources and they call you toxic or that you just don't want new things to happen...
I laugh at each of these threads(not just this one and certainly not the OP, I get that you wanted this to be different and in the imagination, everything is perfect and awesome and so much better than any implementation of fishing ever, but then reality strikes and we get these threads. Sry m8)

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

27 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

Turns out fishing is a low effort semi afk filler feature...who would have guessed. But it had to be a thing, thread over thread over thread for years "GW2 needs fishing", "Fishing would be so awesome", "Fishing when?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?". Then you tell ppl, that mmo fishing is just a low effort, semi afk filler waste of resources and they call you toxic or that you just don't want new things to happen...
I laugh at each of these threads(not just this one and certainly not the OP, I get that you wanted this to be different and in the imagination, everything is perfect and awesome and so much better than any implementation of fishing ever, but then reality strikes and we get these threads. Sry m8)

Yes imagine that someone likes something you do not like. The audacity 👀 it must be such a waste of resources specially when I barely see anyone fishing when roaming all across tyria. Oh wait 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 4/1/2022 at 11:28 AM, khani.4786 said:

The only time I really mind it is at Dusk/Dawn when it takes up valuable time I could be fishing for those dusk/dawn fish.

It's also just weird to be holding a fish when I just fished up a Merlion statute or a broken fishing pole.

Yea it does make a difference on the 5 min window of dusk and dawn 😧

On 3/31/2022 at 7:34 PM, DD39C89C-1C46-4F28-BDB7-49 said:

Basically they design game as it should be played once, like you should sightsee a city once, so not need to bother to make non repetitive voices, but at the same time they make achievement which encourage to repeat content. Make no sense at all.

I have the feeling they didn't think about how many hours people would actually spend fishing XD either for achievements only, for crafting or just some gold.. 

On 4/1/2022 at 1:46 AM, Freya.9075 said:

I agree the cheering could be more for rare fish. I like their eye for details, but it can be a bit much at times. 

I had the video you posted in mind when I wrote this thread XD it's funny and sad at the same time..

On 4/1/2022 at 1:50 AM, Ithlia.1830 said:

I turn the sound off when crafting. Between the noise from some of the crafting benches and the endless repetitive NPCs it gets very annoying.

I like the chat that occurs every now and then around Tyria, but the issue I was talking about is more about the frequency that it happens. I also do turn off sounds when I am crafting a lot of things XD

On 4/1/2022 at 12:34 PM, Hashberry.4510 said:

I hoped for fishing but this is just a boring cheevo hunt with a maddening mini game.

I kinda like how they designed it, so it wouldn't be a super mindless afk activity.. but I don't see people being crazy for it in the future.. we will see.