Fishing Rods and Fishing Power

I'm kinda bringing up a point I tried to make on a thread that I just had started before the EoD subforum got archived/readonly.

Why doesn't the fishing rod have Fishing Power? Other games that have fishing have rods that give you better stats, hence why I was disappointed when I got the Spiritwood Fishing Rod and it didn't have any extra stats and it's just a skin. Why make it "ascended" to begin with, it doesn't have the typical "ascended" behavior that has a bit more stats than exotic, and so on.

Also, why not make rods craftable? Is that something you are planning to bring eventually?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed today that all fishing rods give +25 fishing power... we are getting there.. It doesnt make any sense that they all give +25, where is the progression? Something like 0 or +25 from Bamboo (starter one given from story), +25/+50 for Stripped (unlocked later on in story), and idk how much more, +75/+100 for the Spiritwood. See where I'm going with this? ? It does take a lot of hard work to complete the collections and lots of expensive materials to purchase, and it's of ascended type.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, YtseJam.9784 said:

I noticed today that all fishing rods give +25 fishing power

That's not exactly news. I remember +25 fishing power on the bamboo rod the very first time I equipped it the night EoD released.

Personally I like that the rod (which is the part you and others can see in the world) is skin only, and the power levels come from different lures (and in one case bait). ANet is pretty good at separating stats and cosmetics, and imo should keep it that way.

4 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

That's not exactly news. I remember +25 fishing power on the bamboo rod the very first time I equipped it the night EoD released.

Personally I like that the rod (which is the part you and others can see in the world) is skin only, and the power levels come from different lures (and in one case bait). ANet is pretty good at separating stats and cosmetics, and imo should keep it that way.

It's bad however that lures and bait are character-specific and you can't pull them out straight from bank or some fishing-specific storage

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's bad however that lures and bait are character-specific and you can't pull them out straight from bank or some fishing-specific storage

But that's a totally different topic than what this thread (or even just my posting) has been about.

Being able to store and use consumable items from an account-bound storage (I could easily see this going beyond baits and lures to things like food and utility consumables, boosters, salvage kits, wvw siege blueprints, ... the possibilities of this idea are endless) sure sounds like a nice quality of life feature, but doesn't really have anything to do with the question of whether visible skins are tied to stats/power increase.

You could argue that there should be more non-consumable equipment that boost fishing power, but I still maintain that whatever it is shouldn't be tied to specific cosmetics/skins.

• Like 1

Personally I'd love if they'd Make the Fishing equipment and Core of Fishing Feel as loved as the Minigame U.I 

It just feels neglected. 

Fishing power doesn't do anything beyond Mitigate penalties ( Unrewarding for getting higher amounts) 

Bait Only Mitigates penalties ( useless beyond that ) 

Fishing rods don't mean Anything at all. 

It just feels like a Minigame U.I With a mastery track and some bare skeletonized Fishing mechanics Slapped onto the back of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its ok that Anet separates between cosmetics and stats but an ascended fishing rod should have more stats than an exotic one, like we find in armor and weapons. Fishing should be carried further, I understand Anet launched it so they could start releasing skiff and rod skins for gems but...fishing recipes cooked just to give you more fishing skill??? So I fish to improve my fishing? I think fishing recipes should add something new that affects other game modes, not only fishing itself, like wvw or pve. A WvW player would never spend time fishing to bring ascended food for their guildies if the food gives +150 fishing...in WvW...+150 fishing.... I will wait because I think Anet just made a release to make fishing available and I hope next months will add more features, new recipes and cross relations with other game modes and fishing.

• Like 2