So, is Revenant actually a Death Knight?

Dareus.3091

3 hours ago, Lonami.2987 said:

Revenants are just a modern version of the GW1 Dervish, except that this time around, instead of channeling human gods, they channel various legends from the Mists.

This is only true when you artificially limit Dervish to builds using the Avatars, which are only five Dervish elite skills out of 16.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Revenant is more of a "Dark Knight" than a "Death Knight". There is a difference. Dark knights tend to be heavy classes that have dark or spirit themed magic and ample access to lifesteal / sustain / movement skills - which Revenant absolutely is. But "Death Knight" is a more slow, Necromancer like class with Necro skills that just happens to wear heavy armor, which Revenant absolutely is not.

That's where WoW shadowlands refugees coming to GW2 get confused. If you had a Death Knight in WoW as your main, Reaper built tanky will feel way more at home. But if you played Dark Knight in say BDO, Revenant is closer.

Edited by Master Ketsu.4569

On 4/19/2022 at 4:04 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

This is only true when you artificially limit Dervish to builds using the Avatars, which are only five Dervish elite skills out of 16.

I'm not sure this is entirely true, since revenant and herald have some dervish-like features in playstyle as well. For instance, facets are the closet thing in GW2 to the Dervish's playstyle of enchanting themselves, and then consuming the enchantments to power other effects. A lot of the core legends also have PBAoE effects, like Jalis's hammers, Mallyx's transformation, and the Jade Winds, which hits the "it's dangerous just to be near me" feel that dervish had, especially if you combine it with traits and a suitable weapon.

Broadly speaking, I think the demon hunter analogy isn't far off. Now, I haven't had a lot of exposure to post-Frozen Throne fluff, but the general theme of the demon hunter is that the character takes on some of the characteristics and abilities of demons in order to fight them on a more even footing. Revenant shares that general theme of being a melee character which takes on the abilities of other beings, except they're not limited to just demons. You've got Tyria's version of the demon hunter theme in Mallyx, the dragon knight theme with Glint, earth powers through Jalis, and so on.

(Which, to make a minor digression, is why I tend to be disappointed when a new revenant legend turns out to be just another human, charr, or whatever. Kalla's spirits work okay as a pseudo-ritualist feel, but Alliance Stance feels like they basically took half of a warrior elite and half of a guardian elite and fused them together instead of creating something uniquely revenant.)

6 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

What's a death knight?  Never seen one in Tyria.

GW1 W/N?

It's pretty clear that the OP was asking it the rev was essentially the equivalent, not that the name itself is being used. A death knight would essentially be a heavy that uses death magic, being to necromancer as guardian is to monk. (Although, ironically, the original death knights in Warcraft were the souls of necromancers infused into the bodies of human knights, but that group is probably regarded as liches now.)

Closest probably is Reaper with an armour set or outfit that looks more like heavy armour. If rev ever got an undead legend, that might also apply, but I'd personally rather that rev didn't get any more legends that were recognisably based off another profession.

2 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

GW1 W/N?

It's pretty clear that the OP was asking it the rev was essentially the equivalent, not that the name itself is being used. A death knight would essentially be a heavy that uses death magic, being to necromancer as guardian is to monk. (Although, ironically, the original death knights in Warcraft were the souls of necromancers infused into the bodies of human knights, but that group is probably regarded as liches now.)

Closest probably is Reaper with an armour set or outfit that looks more like heavy armour. If rev ever got an undead legend, that might also apply, but I'd personally rather that rev didn't get any more legends that were recognisably based off another profession.

In other words, the OP wants GW2 to be WoW.  Gee, that's a new one.

10 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

In other words, the OP wants GW2 to be WoW.  Gee, that's a new one.

I think you're judging a bit too harshly there. Asking if there's an equivalent to a particular class is a long way from wanting the game to be made more like a game that has that class. Besides, the death knight concept predates even Warcraft 2 by a large margin.